News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mother 1 GBA Color Restoration [completed]  (Read 12202 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Mother 1 GBA Color Restoration [completed]
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 04:29:34 pm »
Also, I was wondering if you could make a patch that boot ups directly into M2 instead of M1, I love having standalone ROMs when it comes to compilation ROMs.

Thanks in advance!
I did manage to achieve that (involves just changing a simple pointer), don't remember if I took notes & don't have access to my PC right now. I'll try and post my notes later this week (no guarantees though, I've been quite busy IRL these past couple weeks and haven't even had time to work on my FFII retranslation).

As for the 3DS color palette patch, yeah I know I said back in June that I'll gladly do it but I'm satisfied with the NTSC replication patch. I can provide the offset though, and it's a really easy patch to make as the whole game only uses 64 (or possibly even less) colors. Another thing is if it's worth my time to do it, as I have little time these days that I would rather not sacrifice.
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord server for development progress: https://discord.gg/wzFgFVs

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »
I did manage to achieve that (involves just changing a simple pointer), don't remember if I took notes & don't have access to my PC right now. I'll try and post my notes later this week (no guarantees though, I've been quite busy IRL these past couple weeks and haven't even had time to work on my FFII retranslation).

As for the 3DS color palette patch, yeah I know I said back in June that I'll gladly do it but I'm satisfied with the NTSC replication patch. I can provide the offset though, and it's a really easy patch to make as the whole game only uses 64 (or possibly even less) colors. Another thing is if it's worth my time to do it, as I have little time these days that I would rather not sacrifice.

I tried to reverse engineer the IPS patches.
I managed to find the pointer.

It's as 0x1F0.
The original pointers is A5370108, which is a little endian pointer that goes to address 0x0137A5.
Your autoboot hack has that very same pointer changed to points to 0xF000F0.
The pointer is in little endian is F000F008.

I tried to debug the game to see what address the game uses to go to Mother 2, but I didn't have any luck at all. :/
Do you have a method to do so? And what tools did you use?
If you could explain me via PM if you want, I would be really thankful, since I want to do the same for the Super Mario Advance series to boot straight into the main game and knowing how to do so will come in handy.

---------------------------------------

Apart from that, for anyone that wants to make the 3DS colour patch a thing, here you have the offset range for the Mother 1 palette.

Mother 1+2:
Mother 1 Palette Data Bank
F6441C-F64497

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 02:23:58 am »
I tried to debug the game to see what address the game uses to go to Mother 2, but I didn't have any luck at all. :/
Do you have a method to do so? And what tools did you use?
If you could explain me via PM if you want, I would be really thankful, since I want to do the same for the Super Mario Advance series to boot straight into the main game and knowing how to do so will come in handy.
Alright, so to boot to Mother 2, put D5 0E 01 08 at 0x1F0. Except there's an issue, this only works if Tomato's splash screen that he added in his M1+2 patch is still intact. If you remove the splash screen (or try to make it to boot to M2 on a vanilla M1+2 ROM), then it won't work. I have no idea why this is the case. (To remove Mato's splash screen, put 1D 48 01 60 at x27A, which is exactly what my remove splash screen patch does, it simply reverts those four bytes to what they are in a vanilla Japanese M1+2 ROM).

As for the method and tools I use, I use VBA's debugger , and also VBA-SDL-H. With VBA-SDL-H you can pause at any time and look at the most recently executed ASM code (which also displays what bytes are in its registers), in addition to putting breakpoints at offsets. For quick byte changes I just use VBA's memory viewer. Basically I just look at the ASM code and if I see an interesting pointer loaded into a register, try changing it and see what happens (that's how I found these offsets). It shouldn't be too hard to replicate with the Super Mario Advance games.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 04:25:17 pm »
It's been a while since I've updated this, but I've finally gotten around to doing this.

When the original color patch was made in 2015, it used an earlier version of FirebrandX's accurate NES palette but he's updated it since the original has come out. I've now updated the patch to use his finalized NES palette, called "Smooth(FBX). I've also included the palette used for NES Classic Edition.

Here is the download link to the new set of patches:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ai3xr14iefm30js/MotherColorRestorationPatches.zip/file

Here are some comparison screenshots:

Mother 1 + 2:

Smooth(FBX):

NES Classic Edition:

Wii U Virtual Console:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:38:22 pm by Chaos Rush »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 10:11:26 pm »
I'm afraid to report that I found some glitches, and a game breaking bug.

Apparently, the latest patches break the game on the mGBA emulator. (Strangely enough, it works on VBA-M.)

I mean, look.

I'm using the Smooth(FBX) patch. I don't know if this also happens on the other patches.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 10:16:25 pm »
I'm afraid to report that I found some glitches, and a game breaking bug.

Apparently, the latest patches break the game on the mGBA emulator. (Strangely enough, it works on VBA-M.)

I mean, look.

I'm using the Smooth(FBX) patch. I don't know if this also happens on the other patches.
Are you using any other patches? Because the Smooth(FBX) patch by itself works on hardware for me. I'm not using the translation patch though, and your screenshot seems to be in English. What about the SkipSplashScreen or BootToM1 patches?

EDIT:
I just tested using Smooth(FBX) + BootToM1 using specifically mGBA, had no issues what so ever.

I'm going to assume maybe there's a conflict with Mato's translation patch or the SkipSplashScreen patch. I'll test those to see what the problem is, but in the mean time what specific patches did you apply?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:27:57 pm by Chaos Rush »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »
Are you using any other patches? Because the Smooth(FBX) patch by itself works on hardware for me. I'm not using the translation patch though, and your screenshot seems to be in English. What about the SkipSplashScreen or BootToM1 patches?
I forgot to mention that yes, I am using the translation. I also forgot to mention that I patched the ROM with Mato's translation first.

And no, I haven't patched the ROM with the SkipSplashScreen or BootToM1 patches.

I do need to test it with the other patches though.

EDIT: Only played it with the Smooth(FBX) with no other patches, except for the translation patch.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:00 pm »
I forgot to mention that yes, I am using the translation. I also forgot to mention that I patched the ROM with Mato's translation first.

And no, I haven't patched the ROM with the SkipSplashScreen or BootToM1 patches.

I do need to test it with the other patches though.

EDIT: Only played it with the Smooth(FBX) with no other patches, except for the translation patch.
I just tested again using the exact patches you mentioned in the exact order, on mGBA. Still no issues whatsoever for me.

I'm sorry but I don't know what to tell you. Did you mess with the display layers setting on mGBA, or any other sprite settings? Because you say it works fine for you on VBA-M. For me, I've had no issues with my patches on VBA, mGBA, and hardware, so I'm not sure why you're having that issue.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 10:46:37 pm »
Since this also happens on the NES Classic and VC Colors, I'll explain a bit.

I haven't messed with the emulator. All I did was patch the ROM using FLIPS: I patch it with the translation first, then I give it an Output File name, and it saves. Next, I try to patch the same translated ROM with the Smooth(FBX) patch, give it the same Output File name, and then it replaces/overrides it.

Could it be something wrong with the patching directions?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 10:58:24 pm »

I haven't messed with the emulator. All I did was patch the ROM using FLIPS: I patch it with the translation first, then I give it an Output File name, and it saves. Next, I try to patch the same translated ROM with the Smooth(FBX) patch, give it the same Output File name, and then it replaces/overrides it.

I use LIPS, and hadn't heard of FLIPS until now but I'm assuming, is this what you're talking about?: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1040/

I did a quick trial run using FLIPS, and still no issues for me. What about the MOTHER1+2 ROM with no patches at all?

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 10:59:53 pm »

Actually, Chaos, it would help if you gave a ROM hash, allowing Enigma something to compare his ROM to
Hey there

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:36 pm »
Actually, Chaos, it would help if you gave a ROM hash, allowing Enigma something to compare his ROM to
Using HxD's checksum function I get,

Mother 1+2 w/ no patches:
SHA-1: F27336B9C96CA2D06C34E07A61A78538DEAC32B3
MD-5: F41E36204356974C94FABF7D144DD32A

Smooth(FBX):
SHA-1: 3E4001EC0667AA925B3CF10FB259EBF328582A9B

Smooth(FBX) + Tomato translation:
SHA-1: 15E71C24C5A35883925F0F7F01A89129E57F34E9

EDIT: and for the record, the VC patch in the latest release dates to 2015 as a leftover from the initial release, and one has has pointed out any such issue in the past 4 years.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:25:11 pm by Chaos Rush »

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:24 pm »
Okay. Now it just gets weirder. Because apparently, the non-translated Smooth(FBX) patched ROM doesn't work either.

I'm using mGBA v0.7.1. I swear I haven't tweaked anything in the emulator.

EDIT: And the ROM that I'm using to patch the color hack is a No-Intro ROM with a MD5 of F41E36204356974C94FABF7D144DD32A and a SHA-1 of F27336B9C96CA2D06C34E07A61A78538DEAC32B3. Which is exactly like your hashes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:47:53 pm by John Enigma »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2019, 11:51:08 pm »
Okay. Now it just gets weirder. Because apparently, the non-translated Smooth(FBX) patched ROM doesn't work either.

I'm using mGBA v0.7.1. I swear I haven't tweaked anything in the emulator.

EDIT: And the ROM that I'm using to patch the color hack is a No-Intro ROM with a MD5 of F41E36204356974C94FABF7D144DD32A and a SHA-1 of F27336B9C96CA2D06C34E07A61A78538DEAC32B3. Which is exactly like your hashes.
What about vanilla Mother1+2 with no patches at all?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 12:00:08 am »
Vanilla Mother 1+2 works.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 12:05:56 am »
Vanilla Mother 1+2 works.
Well I wish I could help you find the issue.

What are the hashes for the patched files? Or what about using LIPS? I believe you that my patches are causing the issues on your end, but also I swear that I'm telling the truth that I have no issues on my end with mGBA, VBA, and GBA hardware.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 12:21:31 am »
I'll try to generate the hashes. Give me some time. Here I go.

July 12, 2019, 01:04:10 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
  • Mother 1+2 (Smooth(FBX))
    MD5: 9EE8B217AA62CE8CD0C1BE0307E5FB17
    SHA-1: 3E4001EC0667AA925B3CF10FB259EBF328582A9B
  • Mother 1+2 (NES Classic)
    MD5: F81882013AF1207C5245AB04E1114CD2
    SHA-1: 87DE43FFB66607F232246CEFFD5D286F4A2066D5
  • Mother 1+2 (VC Official)
    MD5: 19D68F46F8C07E20745D78D193A807F4
    SHA-1: 9AB0E69655A42059F3E4171355DB915440D75412
  • Mother 1+2 (Smooth (FBX) + Translation)
    MD5: D9F47A8B3EBA00503F32F090D9CB5141
    SHA-1: 15E71C24C5A35883925F0F7F01A89129E57F34E9
  • Mother 1+2 (NES Classic + Translation)
    MD5: 40DB8DBDA7DDC35B822D32E7135BEB77
    SHA-1: CCFFD61F1C7403AA674B2058DC22DD670B4CB545
  • Mother 1+2 (VC Official + Translation)
    MD5: F7296E708C405B1D0B6E63B6F5F57D88
    SHA-1: 5A4C8308718ADF69A842C7154FADAADC05E6DE68

Okay. So apparently, all of them work now.

All I did was use LIPS to patch the colorization patches first (and then patch the translation later.) I really don't know if this really is the procedure to do it like that: Color patch then Mato's Translation.

EDIT: I can't tell if it was the LIPS program, or the procedure. @Chaos Rush
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:15:15 am by John Enigma »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 02:13:42 am »
I thought I was the only one to know about FLIPS since everyone has kept talking only about vanilla LIPS for years already...

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:22 pm »
Dear god, does the Virtual Console version really look THAT dark?? I prefer the washed-out, ugly GBA scheme over the muted dark colors on the VC.
Fun random fact: this was for anti-epilepsy, the same reason why games like Earthbound saw some minor edits in the Virtual Console.  That's also why the Switch Online stuff does not have this palette, as they just edit those games before they're put online instead.  For some odd reason Nintendo apparently didn't edit the NES ROMs up until the classic editions?

IIRC Nintendo really didn't care about this until the DS era, so Mother 1 GBA didn't see any such edits.