News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Does anyone here have experience hacking Minish Cap?  (Read 914 times)

MinishCap

• View Profile
Does anyone here have experience hacking Minish Cap?
« on: November 23, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
I'm making a randomizer for Minish Cap in the same vein as the other Zelda randomizers. So far I've been able to read the ASM instructions to figure out how to edit the treasure chest and cutscene items. I've also done a little editing to remove the Carpenters that block your path before beating the first dungeon. However, I can't seem to trace where a lot of event triggers come from for story progression.

I want to make it like the Wind Waker randomizer where the map is completely open from the start. My problem is there's a lot of random road blocks that appear throughout the game and I can't tell what's triggering them. Some of them are triggered by what items you have acquired, like the Carpenters that move when you get the gust jar. However I entered Hyrule town after removing the Carpenters and it seemed to take me back to the start of the game when link and Zelda go to the festival. It doesn't seem to change which Hyrule town you go to until you beat the boss of the first dungeon. I would think this would be triggered by having the earth element in your inventory, but inventory seems to be completely irrelevant here.

Does anyone here have any experience with hacking Minish Cap that can give me some insight on where these event triggers are stored in memory and what I would potentially need to do to change them? I know this game isn't as popular as some of the other Zelda games with randomizers, but it's one of my favorites and I would love to pay tribute to it by making this.