News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NBA Jam 2K20 PSone Mod  (Read 975 times)

ponlork

• View Profile
NBA Jam 2K20 PSone Mod
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:11:10 am »
I've been working on a NBA Jam T.E.mod for the Playstation 1. My ultimate goal is to replace the entire roster with current up to date NBA Players. So far I've inserted LeBron James into the game and that includes his player Portrait, custom head sprites, and custom audio for the announcer to call his name.

Here's a trailer I made recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ylg7C-xv0

I also replaced the ref with Sonya Blade and I added new FMV Highlights during the halftime and post game show. Pretty much all the hacks I would like to execute is figured out it just takes a great deal of time to edit photos and to align their heads, and then do quality control. But I'm determined.

Here's some screenshots:

Another cool idea I have is to do a full mod where I replace all the sprites and animation with custom art. I was imagining how cool it'll be if we can have like Anime girl character sprites and a Beach like atmosphere. Something like that would require a ton of work but I like to dream.

Or how about a NBA Jam Celebrity Edition where it features everyone from the world of music, politics, hollywood and entertainment? We can have Crips and Bloods on one side, Democrats and Republicans on another, team Naruto over here, or whatever the hell goes lol that might be kinda cool

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: NBA Jam 2K20 PSone Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:36:30 am »
Wow -- there's a lot of awesome in that video!  I have so many questions.

1) Any plans to release tutorials, hex codes, ASM, etc. to the public when you're done?  I'd love to learn about how to do this sort of hack, especially coming off of my SNES version hack.

2) Where are you pulling custom player name clips from?  The PS3/Wii game?  Ideas on how/where to pull sound clips for the newer players?

3) What are your thoughts on fitting in the expansion teams?  Any way to get all 30 selectable?

4) Keeping any old school ballers as secret players?  Rodman?  Putting in any old schoolers that didn't make the original PS game?  Jordan?  Barkley?  Shaq?

5) As you're running through code and portraits/head shots, what are your thoughts on feasibility of roster swaps and updates?

6) What emulators are currently successfully running the hack?

7) Looking for any beta testers at some point?

dafamily

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:34:54 pm »
Loving this project bro, can't wait until it's released, as brother eskayelle is asking the same questions as I I'm lol!! :D

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:03:06 pm »
Hi eskayelle, big fan of your work. I remember reading articles on NBA Jam 2K17 years ago before I knew anything about rom hacking and it really inspired me.

1) Any plans to release tutorials, hex codes, ASM, etc. to the public when you're done?  I'd love to learn about how to do this sort of hack, especially coming off of my SNES version hack.

Possibly. At the moment I did everything by brute force with a lot of experimenting, tinkering and trial and error. I would have to gather all my notes and present it in a tutorial format that anyone can follow. I would also love to be able to develop tools for it to make it a automatic process and host it on github but I don't really know much about that. it's something I would like to do in the future.

2) Where are you pulling custom player name clips from?  The PS3/Wii game?  Ideas on how/where to pull sound clips for the newer players?

I actually got LeBron's name from NBA Jam On Fire for the PS3. I kinda did it the lazy way, I saved a clip from a youtube video and then I used phonicmind to remove the background music to isolate the announcer's vocals. Initially I was planning on downloading the IOS or Android versions of NBA Jam on fire to try extracting the assets.

Prior to that, what I had in mind was to manipulate the announcer's voice to form new sounds. Like there's unused audio in the game where Tim yells "No Name!" and I was thinking of forming James out of that. There's also a hidden character named "Kim Gordan" that I may use to create the "Jordan" sound byte. I want to try to keep it as authentic sounding as possible.

3) What are your thoughts on fitting in the expansion teams?  Any way to get all 30 selectable?

Yeah I've been contemplating about that a lot. Since there's 30 teams currently today, and NBA Jam T.E has 27 plus 1 rookie team, that means I'm probably going to have to omit 2. I was thinking of replacing New Jersey/Brooklyn with Toronto but then KD is heading there so I want to keep Brooklyn. But then again KD will most likely be out next season.

I may end up replacing the Rookie team with Toronto even though the Raptors aren't on the West. But then again the Rookies team wasn't a western conference team either. Maybe I'll modify the team selection screen to remove the West and East graphics to avoid confusion.

I was also thinking about consolidating teams, like Team Los Angeles for Clippers and Lakers or Team New York for Nets and Knicks but I imagine that'll be unsettling to some people lol I'll most likely end up omitting Grizzlies and Pelicans.

Maybe there's a way to rewrite the code to where if we press left or right on the edge of the selection screen, it'll unlock the two extra teams? that'll be awesome.

4) Keeping any old school ballers as secret players?  Rodman?  Putting in any old schoolers that didn't make the original PS game?  Jordan?  Barkley?  Shaq?
Absolutely. I definitely want to add Jordan, Shaq, Barkley, Rodman, Magic, Dr J, Kobe, as either Expanded Rosters or Hidden players. I might work on Jordan next.

5) As you're running through code and portraits/head shots, what are your thoughts on feasibility of roster swaps and updates?
A full roster swap is definitely feasible it's just a matter of the amount of time and effort one is willing to devote into it. It's kinda similar to the process of making Animation, the tools are there it's just the process can be very tedious.

When I first went into it it took me over 10 hours just to figure out how to get anything showing up, like a simple scribble over the face was my first attempt. Then it took me like 3 days to figure out how to uncompress the RNC data and repackage it, and to understand how the playstation color palette works. But once I devised a consistent workflow, I am confident I can insert a new character in the game in less than a day. But again it's difficult to maintain that same level of commitment day in and day out.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to get the exact color and height I want for the player. The PS1 ver of NBA Jam uses a scaling engine and I'm sure if I do more analysis on it I can figure it out, but for now I did a full body swap. So for Lebron I swapped his body with Derrick Coleman while retaining LeBron's head since they have similar body type and color. I might continue to use this technique for other players since there's a lot of donor players I can use.

I would like to figure out how to adjust the color though like for Hugo where they made him all blue. I was thinking of inserting a Alien player in there named Skinny Bob and give him a greyish color.

6) What emulators are currently successfully running the hack?
So far I've been using ePSXe 170, no$psx, pSX v1.13, and most of the footage you see from the trailer is from the Playstation Classic mini which uses PCSX ReARMed.

7) Looking for any beta testers at some point?
I would like to add a few more players in but sure, maybe I'll release a beta shortly. Honestly I'm real shy about this stuff lol on one hand I am enthusiastic about creating the project but on the other I'm real bashful in sharing it and I think a lot of creative people in general are hesitant because of a lack of confidence or something I don't know. But yeah that's the goal, to get some beta releases going and slowly rolling out new players for every subsequent release.

Once again Thank You for the questions and taking the time to check it out. Hi dafamily, thanks bro  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:11:16 pm by ponlork »

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:32:42 pm »
Good stuff.

Hi eskayelle, big fan of your work. I remember reading articles on NBA Jam 2K17 years ago before I knew anything about rom hacking and it really inspired me.

Appreciate the support!  To be clear (I'm big on giving credit), Millertime2325 did the original 2K17 hack.  I just took it and added a bunch of improvements to see if I could create something that could support annual roster updates more easily.  But the Double Z Mod and 2K20 were much more me... with a big lot of help from phonymike and others!

I saved a clip from a youtube video and then I used phonicmind to remove the background music to isolate the announcer's vocals.

Another way to do it is to take the Wii game and a Dolphin emulator, run the sound from the emulator through your mic, and record in Soundforge or Audacity.  That's how my buddy grabbed the "Thunder" and "Wizards" clips, so I could then convert them to SNES-friendly format (8000 Hz, Mono) and then to BRR.

There's also a hidden character named "Kim Gordan" that I may use to create the "Jordan" sound byte. I want to try to keep it as authentic sounding as possible.
Was DeAndre Jordan playing back when EA's Jam came out?  That might save you some trouble.

I was also thinking about consolidating teams, like Team Los Angeles for Clippers and Lakers or Team New York for Nets and Knicks but I imagine that'll be unsettling to some people lol I'll most likely end up omitting Grizzlies and Pelicans.
I never got there, but one of my ideas was to make the Rookies team the second worst team in the game (so the Suns based on 2018-19 standings), and the All-Stars the champs (Raptors).  This way, you have to beat 27 teams before unlocking the top seed, and you give up that second worst team in the process.  Of course, that only covers 29 teams.  The worst team would be pitched from the game.  Sorry, Knicks.

If you're not doing annual updates, this may not be too painful.  But it's no solution if you're updating each year, which is why I didn't implement it in my version.  I didn't want to discourage others from building on my hack by forcing them to have to redo teams each year.

I did also think of the combination teams; in the thread on romhacks we'd like to see, I had written about combining teams that are in the same market to accommodate for the 30, but you'd have to combine the Clippers and Lakers, and then combine the Nets and Knicks.  I then thought about splitting the logos in half for a nice mashup logo.  Didn't know if too many folks would be accepting of it though.

Absolutely. I definitely want to add Jordan, Shaq, Barkley, Rodman, Magic, Dr J, Kobe, as either Expanded Rosters or Hidden players. I might work on Jordan next.

Man, the PSX has so many additional slots for players, that you have options!  Here's a question for you: Given the amount of time it takes to create characters, and given how sports games go "stale" into the season (trades, free agency, injuries), would you be more inclined to do a 2K20 hack and feel pressured to finish it, or take your time and do some kind of "Legends" hack with the best players/HOFers per team?  Could be fun, and less time sensitive.  Or... perhaps do 2K20 with a Legends follow-up?

So far I've been using ePSXe 170, no$psx, pSX v1.13, and most of the footage you see from the trailer is from the Playstation Classic mini which uses PCSX ReARMed.

You almost have me interested in buying a PS Mini! 

So for Lebron I swapped his body with Derrick Coleman while retaining LeBron's head since they have similar body type and color. I might continue to use this technique for other players since there's a lot of donor players I can use.

Seems like it worked out pretty well and is likely a good time-saver to keep you moving through some of the tedious parts of the hack.  Any shortcut that gets you a nice result and a reasonably polished game is a good shortcut!

Keep those updates coming!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:38:53 pm by eskayelle »

ponlork

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 04:23:11 am »
incoming lengthy post lol

Appreciate the support!  To be clear (I'm big on giving credit), Millertime2325 did the original 2K17 hack.  I just took it and added a bunch of improvements to see if I could create something that could support annual roster updates more easily.  But the Double Z Mod and 2K20 were much more me... with a big lot of help from phonymike and others!

Much props to Millertime2325 and anyone who was involved in making the hacks possible as well those such as yourself who continued making updates for it. I know how difficult it is to complete any project of this magnitude.

Another way to do it is to take the Wii game and a Dolphin emulator, run the sound from the emulator through your mic, and record in Soundforge or Audacity.  That's how my buddy grabbed the "Thunder" and "Wizards" clips, so I could then convert them to SNES-friendly format (8000 Hz, Mono) and then to BRR.

I will most likely end up doing something like that for the final version. Right now I'm mainly using place holders because once the groundwork is laid out, adding on top of it will be much easier. Thank you for the advice ^_^

Was DeAndre Jordan playing back when EA's Jam came out?  That might save you some trouble.
The Clippers is actually my favorite NBA team lol he became a breakout star player during the 2011-2012 season so EA may have included him. I haven't actually played the EA version yet. I viewed the trailer for it yesterday and to my surprise, a lot of the ideas they've implemented were ideas that I was fantasizing about such as having a Alien player and a team of Democrats vs Republicans. NBA Jam on fire looks real fun, I definitely have to check it out even though I'm like 8 years late.

I never got there, but one of my ideas was to make the Rookies team the second worst team in the game (so the Suns based on 2018-19 standings), and the All-Stars the champs (Raptors).  This way, you have to beat 27 teams before unlocking the top seed, and you give up that second worst team in the process.  Of course, that only covers 29 teams.  The worst team would be pitched from the game.  Sorry, Knicks.

If you're not doing annual updates, this may not be too painful.  But it's no solution if you're updating each year, which is why I didn't implement it in my version.  I didn't want to discourage others from building on my hack by forcing them to have to redo teams each year.

I did also think of the combination teams; in the thread on romhacks we'd like to see, I had written about combining teams that are in the same market to accommodate for the 30, but you'd have to combine the Clippers and Lakers, and then combine the Nets and Knicks.  I then thought about splitting the logos in half for a nice mashup logo.  Didn't know if too many folks would be accepting of it though.

You know for the past few weeks I was unsure if there was a All-stars team lol I mean it's been years since I've completed the game and as I was playing through the PSone version and I was thinking.. wasn't there supposed to be a All-Stars team? Well now it's all coming back to me, we gotta beat the game first to unlock it.

That's a really cool idea, having players complete the game in order to unlock the champion Raptors. It gives players something to strive for. There's actually a 2 minute FMV ending for the PSX version that I plan on replacing with my own fan made highlights video. I can add music and all that. One thing I am concerned about is how are people supposed to be able to access the ending video again once they've already beaten it? I'm assuming they would have to beat all 27 teams again. that's something I'm going to have to look into later.

I think combining teams is a good idea if it was for lesser franchises such as the New Orleans Pelicans. Although Lakers and Knicks are doing poorly, they are a big market team so I imagine there would be people upset with it. I definitely think it warrants a try though. This kinda remind me of the NBA playoff debate where they been saying for years to make it the top 16 teams who make the playoffs instead of 8 from each conference.

I've discovered how to change the team names and logos as well so i'll be updating them eventually too.

Man, the PSX has so many additional slots for players, that you have options!  Here's a question for you: Given the amount of time it takes to create characters, and given how sports games go "stale" into the season (trades, free agency, injuries), would you be more inclined to do a 2K20 hack and feel pressured to finish it, or take your time and do some kind of "Legends" hack with the best players/HOFers per team?  Could be fun, and less time sensitive.  Or... perhaps do 2K20 with a Legends follow-up?

It's funny because I've played many different versions of NBA Jam T.E from the Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Atari Jaguar, Snes, all except for the Playstation version lol and the PS1 version may very well be the best home port of it. I feel the PSX version has a ton of potential for customization. One could literally develop an original game using the NBA Jam T.E engine where they replace all the graphics, sound, and animations with custom art, similar to what they did with College Slam which was really just a repackaging of NBA jam. It's even possible to adjust the players height and color so one could really create a Demigod like player in there if they want to.

The process is not much different with games such as Ultra Street Fighter II Turbo the Final Challengers where they take the original game engine and redraw new art over it. So if someone wanted to, they can create something truly profound. But these types of ideas would require a lot of artists and programmers to join in. Or at least one one of each who is willing to sacrifice hundreds of hours into lol

I'm not sure if I want to make it a annual thing, i would view it more as a passion project. I think one of the things that made NBA Jam so memorable was they created a timeless classic that can be enjoyed for years and years after the initial release. Sometimes when I play NBA live or 2K games, I get this sense that once the new season comes out everyone just jump ship and abandon the previous version. I remember reading about 2k19 going on sale for $2.99 and I'm like come on lol

So I like the concept of a Double Z mod, or a On Fire Edition where i won't feel pressured to meet a deadline and i can just add new characters and content whenever i feel motivated. Also people won't get the sense that it's outdated to play once the season is over. On the other hand I think it's good to have a deadline too because devs would feel more of a sense of urgency. When they have all the time in the world they may end up putting it off and the longer u put something on the back burner the harder it is to get back into the swing of things.

Sometimes the most important part is the completion of a project. There are things that can only be learn upon completion. if they quit, they may end up learning nothing. they may feel so demoralized that they abandon everything. When something is completed, even if it's not the best they hoped for, it's something that they can look back on and feel proud and they may even feel more motivated to keep improving and advancing it. I've seen people who work on some promising projects but it never materialize and they lose that drive.

I'm undecided on whether to have the expanded rosters activated at default or not. On one hand I want the players to be given a special treat for beating the game where they unlock Legends such as Michael Jordan, kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Yao Ming. But then again I also feel like it's better to just activate that from the beginning since they wont have to input initials and I don't really anticipate many people playing the game to the very end.

not to digress though lol sorry for the longwinded post sometimes i just start unleashing a bunch of random thoughts.Have you ever stumbled on a NBA Jam T.E Snes Longplay video on youtube? I actually recorded that back in 2013. I can't remember my login for that account but I remember checking in a few years ago and was surprised that it amassed so many views. One thing I like about the SNES version is that it appears to have different sprites for tall and short players. This might be cool if someone want to create an entirely different model for like female characters. The PSX version is locked to one body sprite where they scale it. So they essentially use the same body graphic so if I want to use female characters i would either have to just use a girl's head on a man body, or i can make all the characters female lol I don't have any experience with modding the SNES version but I am interested in creating something for it too

You almost have me interested in buying a PS Mini!
Although the PS mini got a bad rap for it's lackluster lineup of games that came included, I feel it's a great product if one wants to use it for retro emulation. Because if you think about it, the PS Classic comes with 16gb built-in storage that you can hack and replace your own games with, there's two front USB ports that are exploitable, it comes with two USB  controllers that can be used on Windows 10, Retropie, and other platforms, it doesnt come with a power brick but it does come with a HDMI cable, and mini USB cable that can be plugged into phone chargers and TV USB ports to supply power.

When you weigh in all that, and you can pick it up for $20 i think that's a awesome deal. Though I dont think u can get it for $20 anymore but it's pretty affordable. There's also methods that don't require any hardware modification. With Autobleem it doesn't modify the kernel or firmware or anything, it acts more as a livecd that boots everything from a USB flash drive. So that makes it a great plug and play solution where people can share USB flash drives or even buy peripherals such as the True Blue Mini which comes included with additional PS1 games. Though that's probably not legal lol but they are selling it on Amazon and other online retailers.

i've used the SNES Classic for years, that requires more work and effort. like it doesn't have USB ports, the controllers wont work on other platforms, its lacking L2+R2 shoulder buttons, and flashing the firmware requires more work. It also only has 300mb of space available, about 260mb of that is useable and that includes the emulators and roms. You can use OTG for it which will enable USB support but that didn't come around until like 2018. Within the first few weeks of the PSC launch there were a slew of possibilities available.

With the Snes classic you would have to install this Itunes like program called Hakchi, basically whatever you transfer over to the Snes mini it would have to be synced with a folder on your hard drive. So if you copy over 20gb of data, it will store a duplicate backup in hakchi. And if you modify it it would corrupt the filesystem structure and you may have to spend another 2 hours transferring it over again and resyncing.

The PSC is just much more easier to add games too. the process is more akin to adding games on a PSP memory stick. If someone doesn't use hakchi or retropie for a few weeks they'll most likely forget a lot of things and have to re-learn how to just add games. The Retropie image doesn't allow you to just view the contents, u have to add games wirelessly through wifi. The PSC u can simply add the stick into your computer and drag games into the "Games" folder.

less options and more kid friendly with the PSC and i just think for the price and everything else it's just much better. I had kids play on the Retropie before and i would constantly have to look over my shoulder because its easy for someone to go into the configurations menu or some place they're not supposed to access. Specifications wise, the PSC hardware is more powerful so it can run certain games that were problematic on the SNESC and Rpi much smoother. Games like for the N64, Nintendo DS, psp, dreamcast, amiga, dosbox, run much better on the PSC than the SNESC or Raspberry Pi 3b+. With the raspberry pi 3b+ if u want to get it with two controllers, 16gb sdxc, case, heatsink, HDMI cable, all that could cost well over $100 and it still comes with no games lol

but that's just my thoughts on it. it really depends on what someone is planning to do with it. Sorry for going on another long spiel lol

Seems like it worked out pretty well and is likely a good time-saver to keep you moving through some of the tedious parts of the hack.  Any shortcut that gets you a nice result and a reasonably polished game is a good shortcut!

For sure. that's the key, just gotta devise a blueprint and build up a consistent workflow and along the way find patterns and shortcuts to speed up the process. Thanks again for the comments, really appreciate it :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:34:39 am by ponlork »

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:49:17 pm »
Thanks for the response!  I'm a big fan of the Raspberry Pi and those nifty Retroflag cases and their safe shutdown functionality, so it'd be difficult to move me over to another platform in the near term.  But I totally get you on the config issues and the difficulty curve to get to plug-and-play.  I have a RetroPie image I put hours into, so I don't plan on upgrading from my 3Bs any time soon...  Kiosk mode also helps with clumsy little fingers, but not so much in RetroArch itself.

There's actually a 2 minute FMV ending for the PSX version that I plan on replacing with my own fan made highlights video. I can add music and all that. One thing I am concerned about is how are people supposed to be able to access the ending video again once they've already beaten it?

I'm undecided on whether to have the expanded rosters activated at default or not. On one hand I want the players to be given a special treat for beating the game where they unlock Legends such as Michael Jordan, kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Yao Ming. But then again I also feel like it's better to just activate that from the beginning since they wont have to input initials and I don't really anticipate many people playing the game to the very end.

The PSX game has two initials codes; I think they're FIN and END.  One gets you to having beaten 26/27 teams, the other all 27.  So those would get folks seeing your custom vids.  If you're doing any assembly hacking, I wonder if there's an opportunity to put something like a Konami code on the title screen to get you expanded rosters.  That's what I did, but the SNES already had a code available there; I just manipulated it a bit and expanded for two codes instead of one.  I don't know if the PSX has a title screen code though, so you might have to code the whole thing from scratch if you went that route.

Have you ever stumbled on a NBA Jam T.E Snes Longplay video on youtube? I actually recorded that back in 2013. I can't remember my login for that account but I remember checking in a few years ago and was surprised that it amassed so many views. One thing I like about the SNES version is that it appears to have different sprites for tall and short players. This might be cool if someone want to create an entirely different model for like female characters. The PSX version is locked to one body sprite where they scale it. So they essentially use the same body graphic so if I want to use female characters i would either have to just use a girl's head on a man body, or i can make all the characters female lol I don't have any experience with modding the SNES version but I am interested in creating something for it too

I don't think I've seen it, but I wouldn't mind taking a peek if you wanted to link it.  SNES TE doesn't really give you different heights beyond "short" and "tall", so you only get those two sizes.  So guys who are 6'3" end up as "short" as Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb.  Hangtime's much more customizable in that regard, which is pretty cool.  I also wished body types could be changed.  SNES TE could only do two skin colors (unless you can figure out palettes and do some assembly coding to point to a third, fourth, etc. one...), and the one (male) build, so I feel it really didn't do potential female characters justice.  It'd be awesome to have like a WNBA All-Star team or Marvel heroines, but the sprites wouldn't do them much justice, sadly.

I am curious as to how you kicked off your process.  Were you able to rip the ISO and see all the assets, including portraits, head shots, FMV, music/sound effects, name tiles, and scoreboard tiles?  And then modify them and add some extent of code to force the game to accept them as original?  Maybe via just tweaking some checksum?  I've only dabbled with SNES and currently a tad bit of Genesis, so I'm wondering how difficult just accessing those initial assets is to get started.  Seems like you've been very successful putting in your own bits!