News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How do I recompile a ps1 Bin file to work on epsxe  (Read 380 times)

Zanerus

• View Profile
How do I recompile a ps1 Bin file to work on epsxe
« on: November 12, 2018, 04:18:52 am »
I'm having trouble figure out how to recompile my Bin file with some mods I've added. Any tools or help?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: How do I recompile a ps1 Bin file to work on epsxe
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:23:44 am »
Try giving some minimal information first:
* How did you decompile it?
* What exactly are you calling a bin file? An ISO file in binary format? An executable file?
* Are you trying to make a specific file for ePSXe or just a standard file that ePSXe may run it like any other emulator or real hardware would?
* What are the mods you've added? How did you add them? Where did you get them?

Don't limit yourself to these questions.
There has to be a better life.

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:36:00 am »
Try giving some minimal information first:
* How did you decompile it
* What exactly are you calling a bin file? An ISO file in binary format? An executable file?
* Are you trying to make a specific file for ePSXe or just a standard file that ePSXe may run it like any other emulator or real hardware would?
* What are the mods you've added? How did you add them? Where did you get them?

Don't limit yourself to these questions.

In order

1)I used the program Anyburn to Browse/Extract the psx bin of saga frontier.

2)The file is labeled as .BIN so yes, a ISO in Bin format. it comes paired with a .cue file when I got it from the disk. the copied bin works fine, the one I'm trying to recompile does not.

3) Just a standard file.

4) I edited the internal file SCUS_942.30 which includes most player data, My mod was to give all swords a second command. All items in Saga frontier can have up to three skills attached to it, though most gear does not use this. As I have no idea how to find the values in the raw bin I needed to decomplie it to access this file. I added them by editing the weapon status table located in the file mentioned above at 0x0000A0A0 with hex editor HxD. I got them by making them from using Mr.Vimes notes on mapping of the file found here http://sf.data.project.tripod.com/item_data.txt I did not expand the size of this file or do anything that would break it.

5) I commonly work with GBA games in my mods, but Saga frontier is a game I highly love, and figuring out how to get it to run after editing the SCUS_942.30 file will allow me to re balance the game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:44:40 am by Zanerus »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:27:56 pm »
Be careful when data is split into multiple sectors to not trash it.

About the packing, there are utilities like psxutils (I think that is the name) however keep in mind to learn as soon as possible how the game deals with sectors.

There are many topics about SaGa Frontier, you better search for some  answer.

Zanerus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »
I found CDmage allows me to inject edited files into the disk straight, so I'm just gonna use that. Thanks guys.