News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The PS1 Classic  (Read 3068 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
The PS1 Classic
« on: November 11, 2018, 11:34:28 pm »
I'm sure a lot of us have heard the hooplah over this thing.  Not because of the Classic's potential this time around though, it's because it's been found to be running PCSX ReARMed.  This is kind of a strange move to me, I mean it's a pretty solid one for it's purpose when it comes to things like RetroPie, but Sony has had better than ReARMed around from as far back as the PS2 era (though Bettle/Mednafen is reportedly better than Sony's at this point).  Maybe none of their emulation methods run on the cheaper specs they're using? :o

That explains why Legend of Dragoon didn't make it in as a filler title, I guess?  I know ReARMed has some minor visual bugs with LoD.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: The PS1 Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 01:07:30 am »
OMG! IT'S GOT TOM CLANSEY'S RAINBOW SIX!!

That needs to become a meme for what a random-ass choice it was for inclusion on a "Classic" console.
Let me just go over to GameFAQs and blind pick a game to complain about not being on the SNES Classic. Just going to blind
pick a random letter... going to hover my mouse around blind and stop and...
DAMN NINTENDO how you could leave Miracle Girls off the SNES CLASSIC! :banghead: :banghead: NEVER BUYING ANYTHING OF YOURS AGAIN!
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:07:02 am »
I'm sure a lot of us have heard the hooplah over this thing.  Not because of the Classic's potential this time around though, it's because it's been found to be running PCSX ReARMed.  This is kind of a strange move to me
I don't see anything new or strange about this. The Wii's virtual console, and NES and SNES classic just uses emulators and ROMs too. That's no secret. I don't see why anyone would buy those, but apparently it works commercially. Go figure.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 01:22:37 pm »
OMG! IT'S GOT TOM CLANSEY'S RAINBOW SIX!!

That needs to become a meme for what a random-ass choice it was for inclusion on a "Classic" console.
Let me just go over to GameFAQs and blind pick a game to complain about not being on the SNES Classic. Just going to blind
pick a random letter... going to hover my mouse around blind and stop and...
DAMN NINTENDO how you could leave Miracle Girls off the SNES CLASSIC! :banghead: :banghead: NEVER BUYING ANYTHING OF YOURS AGAIN!
Clearly the issue, it doesn't include games that made the PlayStation 1 "classic", but games that made their brand trough PSX fame.

For me, there is no way to think about the system without Wipeout, some random Winning Eleven version, Alundra and so on... But they got Rayman like Jaguar huh? And Grand Theft Auto huh? :D

Now if you look at the japanese listing that makes a lot more of sense, not the best but affordable.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »
The device is intriguing only because it comes with the authentic PSOne controllers.  But there's really no point I can see to buying it unless it's easily hackable. Or unless it's really, really cheap.

I don't see anything new or strange about this. The Wii's virtual console, and NES and SNES classic just uses emulators and ROMs too. That's no secret.
What's strange is that they're using commonly-available open source software rather than developing something in-house.  But then, you could just as well ask why Nintendo felt like re-inventing the wheel.  And then the obvious answer is that Nintendo has never been particularly pro-emulation and would be concerned about what that move might do for their image.  But then the other question is, didn't Sony already have a decent PSOne emulator for the PSP?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:59:34 pm »
What's strange is that they're using commonly-available open source software rather than developing something in-house.  But then, you could just as well ask why Nintendo felt like re-inventing the wheel.
Well, what tells you that Nintendo re-invented the wheel ? Maybe they didn't; nobody prove they just take a particular emulator but that doesn't mean they didn't. Also, there is hundred of reasons for "re-inventing wheels", particularly when it comes to software development, but I won't go into details.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:27:11 pm »
Well, what tells you that Nintendo re-invented the wheel ? Maybe they didn't; nobody prove they just take a particular emulator but that doesn't mean they didn't.
Wouldn't it be obvious if they were re-using someone else's publicly-available emulator?  That is, wouldn't it obviously have the same recognizable flaws?  One of the bazillion people poring over these things would surely have picked up on that by now if that was the case – even if it was something less obvious, like old Virtual Console code, or the Super Punch-Out "SNESticle".

Also, there is hundred of reasons for "re-inventing wheels", particularly when it comes to software development, but I won't go into details.
Whatever reasons there may be, in the end, doesn't that tend to be tremendously expensive?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 06:35:59 pm »
Well, what tells you that Nintendo re-invented the wheel ? Maybe they didn't; nobody prove they just take a particular emulator but that doesn't mean they didn't. Also, there is hundred of reasons for "re-inventing wheels", particularly when it comes to software development, but I won't go into details.
I do recall reading... I think it was Retro that wanted to include Super Metroid as an unlockable in Prime by using a SNES9x port but Nintendo told them no. I can't remember if that was the exact example but it was something like that.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:28:58 pm »
But then the other question is, didn't Sony already have a decent PSOne emulator for the PSP?

Yes, but that's probably tailored towards the hardware including the MIPS architecture. The Classic probably uses an ARM CPU, and I guess they think PCSX-ReARMed is developed enough for their purpose.

NERV Agent

• Cureable if treated early by meds from Dr. Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:32:13 am »
Japan gets Arc the Lad Collection and Parasite Eve. We get Rainbow 6 and fucking Destruction Derby. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese got a DualShock for this while we get screwed over.

The only reason I'd get this is if it can be hacked like the NES and SNES Classic, and put more (or remove) games on it. I'd like to run some PS1 hacks on kinda "real official hardware" from Sony. Because burning PSX discs requires a low speed 4x writer which is damn near impossible to pull off with modern burners. I've gotten PSX hacks to work on real hardware, but it was a total hassle. This would be a nice alternative if it could be hacked.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:37:37 am by NERV Agent »
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh Cancer is waifu of the year. Fucking Internet....

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
Parasite Eve.
Now that's interesting!  ReARMed has a fix to make PE work (also the Vandal Hearts games), but it's a separated option in the emulator due to it also screwing up other games.

Either the games are set up similar to Canoe where every single one has different settings for the emu or the fix is always on.  The latter would hinder hacking the console to work with more games, unless Sony got it to work without screwing up other games of course.  I also remember hearing reports of MGS having slowdown in the emulator, but that was RetroPie's compatibility reporting so I wouldn't know if they fixed it for that game or not either.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
Because burning PSX discs requires a low speed 4x writer which is damn near impossible to pull off with modern burners.

I don't know where people keep getting this. I've burned about 300-400 PS1 games over the past 2 years on varying quality of discs at various speeds using a variety of PSX models (including a PSOne) and the only trouble I ever got was when trying to play them on consoles that still had the original optical drives. In those cases they even had trouble with legit discs (as I keep one legit disc for the disc swapping trick on a PS2 slim).

Really, what would one expect from such a drive that's 20+ years old? A brand new replacement with assembly and all only costs about $20-30 and takes no real knowledge or skills to replace (just make sure you order one that doesn't have to be de-soldered).

I'd probably recommend a PS2, fat or slim over an original PSX for most people. I used to play my PS1 games on a PS2 but decided to downgrade a PS1 for the sake of nostalgia and because it just made it that much harder to pick something to play (so many games in both libraries).

Japan gets Arc the Lad Collection and Parasite Eve. We get Rainbow 6 and fucking Destruction Derby.

Yeah, the US selection is a joke. Apart from maybe 5 of those games the list looks about as appealing as the cheap p&p Genesis my friend has with a bunch of games that look like pirates (got Comix Zone though). I just don't understand their choices here. DD over DD2? Persona 1 over Persona 2? WTF?

EDIT: Well, maybe more than 5. The selection looks like half killer/half filler.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 12:05:54 am »
I don't know where people keep getting this. I've burned about 300-400 PS1 games over the past 2 years on varying quality of discs at various speeds using a variety of PSX models (including a PSOne) and the only trouble I ever got was when trying to play them on consoles that still had the original optical drives. In those cases they even had trouble with legit discs (as I keep one legit disc for the disc swapping trick on a PS2 slim).

Really, what would one expect from such a drive that's 20+ years old? A brand new replacement with assembly and all only costs about $20-30 and takes no real knowledge or skills to replace (just make sure you order one that doesn't have to be de-soldered).

I'd probably recommend a PS2, fat or slim over an original PSX for most people. I used to play my PS1 games on a PS2 but decided to downgrade a PS1 for the sake of nostalgia and because it just made it that much harder to pick something to play (so many games in both libraries).

https://www.ngemu.com/threads/how-to-make-a-perfect-backup-of-psx-games.34515/

Write Settings

Write Speed: 4x (yes, 4x)
Weak Sectors: Ignore
Don't Repair Subchannel Data: Checked
Always close last session: Checked

One time I did get lucky and managed to get a PSX game burned on 16x (IIRC, it's been a long time) and got it to run on my PS2 with a modchip. It took forever and ever to get to load to the title screen because I didn't burn it at the right speed, but I was able to play normally after that.

And with regards to the crap selection for the PSX Classic, I'm surprised they didn't put in Bubsy 3D while they were at it.

Now that it is official that an N64 Classic isn't coming out, I wish Sega would take their sweet revenge and release a Sega Saturn Classic with all the good games.

Goblin Slayer is a heartwarming tale of magical teenage adventurers overcoming adversity with the power of friendship and believing in oneself. Wholesome family entertainment! Watch it now!

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 04:29:27 pm »
I've yet to see any confirmation that a disc burned at a lower speed is demonstrably different from a disc burned at a higher speed.  (Presumably some discs are actually incapable of being burned at a higher speed, but that's a different matter.)

I wish Sega would take their sweet revenge and release a Sega Saturn Classic with all the good games.
All their efforts with the Genesis so far have been less than inspiring.

Perhaps the Saturn Classic will come with an ultra-deluxe 32-bit version of Yawning Triceratops.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 06:04:58 pm »
I've burned PS1 discs at 8x to 16x without problems. Lots of things can affect how well burns work:
- drive of the console
- burner
- discs used

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 07:04:50 pm »
I've burned PS1 discs at 8x to 16x without problems. Lots of things can affect how well burns work:
- drive of the console
- burner
- discs used

*drive of the console*
This one has been the most important, for me. Even a legit PSX disc in mint condition won't play right on a worn out op drive, which most of them probably are at this point. Especially the earlier more problematic models: shitty plastic parts that warp from the heat of the console.

*burner*
I use IMGBurn and have burned on a few different comps. Never suspected any problems on this end, but that's just my personal experience. Everyone's comp is a little different and we don't all use the same programs. None of my computers even support 4x mode. The slowest I can burn them is 16x and have probably gone much higher since I've had that set to "auto" before.

*discs used*
I've used good Verbatims, TY and the last bunch I used were cheap ones from the Dollar General. No issues here except for the occasional bad disc. I got more of those when using the more expensive discs, but then again I bought those in bulk so the chances of rejects were higher simply because the quantity of discs was higher. The more expensive discs certainly look better though.

My current setup is a SCPH-90001 with a replacement drive and a GameShark that's been overwritten with UniROM. I probably wouldn't reccomend it though. It's probably easier to just make the very minor mods that a PS2 slim requires and the trick using the explorer menu and the cheapest legit PSX disc you can find. Plus I see there are now HDMI convertors for the PS2 so that's a bonus (for other people). I just play my PSX with a CRT via s-video.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

NERV Agent

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 10:35:05 pm »
All their efforts with the Genesis so far have been less than inspiring.

Perhaps the Saturn Classic will come with an ultra-deluxe 32-bit version of Yawning Triceratops.

They've dropped AT Games with regards to making any more classic licensed consoles, so that's a push in the right direction.

If they include Panzer Dragoon Saga and Radiant Silvergun, I'm sure some classic Sega fans would lose their shit.

EDIT: 444th post!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:36:06 am by NERV Agent »

POWCo-op

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 05:32:09 pm »
It's overpriced IMHO and it has no thumb sticks. I can't see how it's very good.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 12:22:52 am »
And for some reason, 45% of the games will be PAL versions even on the American version because... Don't Know. :P

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 10:34:23 am »
And for some reason, 45% of the games will be PAL versions even on the American version because... Don't Know. :P
That is weird.  There has to be a reason for that because no one would just use 50hz for all the world in a professional product.  Last I checked, ReARMed also has some PAL specific issues such as copy protection.  This is really doing things the hard way.