News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Youtube taking down game-hacking channels.  (Read 885 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
Youtube taking down game-hacking channels.
« on: November 10, 2018, 10:04:33 pm »
Hey guys. This is bad news.

Recently Youtube have been hunting down some channels about hacking/moding/cheats/whatever. I can confirm they took down
Kaze's channel (the guy who makes SM64 mods).

Relevant link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/youtube-is-closing-game-hacking-channels.522940/

IMO, hacking/cheating is basically the same, but modding is different and to my knowledge, it doesn't infringe upon copyright since it only brings the mod files and not a pirated copy of a game (at least most of the time).
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
Re: Youtube taking down game-hacking channels.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:36 pm »
This is really bad, most of this stuff is completely harmless.
By the way, Kaze's channel appears to still be up, at least 10 seconds before I made this comment.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 12:07:39 am »
It looks like this has to do with contemporary games that are still supported by the original developers? In that case, of course they would do that, they are fully in their rights to, and it's not related in any way to what we do here. It's completely irrelevant and nothing to be surprised about.

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 12:50:51 am »
It looks like this has to do with contemporary games that are still supported by the original developers? In that case, of course they would do that, they are fully in their rights to, and it's not related in any way to what we do here. It's completely irrelevant and nothing to be surprised about.

What if I told you it also has to do with some games no longer supported? And how any recent music videos don't get DMCA'd too?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:56:38 am by A.D.R.I.A.N »
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:21:03 am »
What if I told you it also has to do with some games no longer supported? And how any recent music videos don't get DMCA'd too?

Also irrelevant. YouTube has long had ways for music companies to make money by making claims on videos for ad revenue and including links to legally purchase music. Music videos are fully monetized on the platform. They aren't going to take down videos that they make money off of.

Nothing in that article gives the impression that they are pursuing action against any game hacking activities that would be considered ethical.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 05:10:53 am »
Hey guys. This is bad news.

Recently Youtube have been hunting down some channels about hacking/moding/cheats/whatever. I can confirm they took down
Kaze's channel (the guy who makes SM64 mods).
Why is it bad news ? Youtube is just a tool. If it doesn't want you to upload game hacking videos anymore, just upload them elsewhere. Problem solved.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:23:23 am »
I've had 3 modded Lets Play videos taken down from my channel (DudeGoBack) by Nintendo launching claims. They were actually blocked worldwide but that was because I left direct links to the hacks though which contained readme files with directions on how to apply them which violates the EULA. Aside from that though, Nintendo has been okay with everything else even allowing registration of most games to the Nintendo Creators Program. They are even fine with fan-made games so long as they can make claims on their licensed music which is quite reasonable.

Unless you're showing people how to hack licensed games or how to cheat or modify games to violate other peoples online gaming experience, I doubt there is much to be worried about. This is mainly due to people posting videos about how to cheat paid currency and was destined from the get go to have a crackdown.

If anyone is worried, there is always twitch and DTube but there are other options like having videos unlisted or private on YouTube. Just showing progress made is a different ball park entirely to showing people how to hack a game itself as it exposes a lot of things developers don't want seen and they're within their right to report it when they don't like it.

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 06:50:14 am »
It's clearly Nintendo going on the hunt for fan content yet again, and they won't stop until they are taken to court and defeated.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:41:47 pm »
I'd be interested to find out if there's any cause to investigate the possibility of an antitrust breakup of Youtube.
Their prevalence online has me worried.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »
I'd be interested to find out if there's any cause to investigate the possibility of an antitrust breakup of Youtube.
Their prevalence online has me worried.
Reckon you'd have a hard time making that case.  There's nothing stopping people from hosting their own video content – except of course the enormous costs involved.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...