News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with some kind of table and text thing?  (Read 1402 times)

CrushyGreenRen

• View Profile
Help with some kind of table and text thing?
« on: November 24, 2018, 01:56:50 pm »
Hello! I'm new to Nintendo DS rom hacking. I'm Crushy, but anyway, with the introductions out of the way:

Is there a way to modify this kind of text file? It has the text stuff, and besides it is an editable table. I don't know which kind of table, when I looked it up on Google, all I got was Japanese table help, which isn't my question, because I have the US version of the game.

The game in question is Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2.
I use Tinke to rom hack.
This is the thingy in question:

Using "Export text" and then importing the txt file just makes the game crash.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Help with some kind of table and text thing?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:48:38 pm »
The Japanese stuff would have probably still done things. About all it would not cover is how much more useful relative search is for filling in tables and put less focus on language based filling in (from context there and knowledge of English you could probably fill in a lot of the gaps in that).
I cover some more in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14708.0.html if you want.

Anyway looks like some punctuation ({26} presumably standing in for apostrophe), possibly some capital letters and likely a standin for names (if a character can have a custom name the game will have to know to insert it somewhere). New line, new page and new paragraph (sometimes the same thing, many times not) also likely figure in that, and some games will use similar things to display a character portrait.

CrushyGreenRen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:38 am »
The Japanese stuff would have probably still done things. About all it would not cover is how much more useful relative search is for filling in tables and put less focus on language based filling in (from context there and knowledge of English you could probably fill in a lot of the gaps in that).
I cover some more in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14708.0.html if you want.

Anyway looks like some punctuation ({26} presumably standing in for apostrophe), possibly some capital letters and likely a standin for names (if a character can have a custom name the game will have to know to insert it somewhere). New line, new page and new paragraph (sometimes the same thing, many times not) also likely figure in that, and some games will use similar things to display a character portrait.
Well I see. Anyway, just to clarify:
Let's say I change one of the table's data. If I change "o" to "z" then the first line would be "Hzw's Adel's training gzing", and same for all "o"s that this text file has. Currently I am trying to change only the dialogues, not the character portraits.

CrushyGreenRen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:52 pm »
IDK if this is against the rules, but... Bump?

Another clarification:

Let's say I want to replace the first dialog to Lorem Ipsum. I can't just change the letters in the table, as it replaces ALL occurences of the character (like a "replace all" function).

So if I change the correct letters then it would be "Lor{26}e m Ip{26}s umaining going", which doesn't look good and the rest would also change (say there was a dialog with "How did you do", it would be "Lor  i  you  o")