News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo WFC feasible again with stock DS hardware/software  (Read 897 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Nintendo WFC feasible again with stock DS hardware/software
« on: November 07, 2018, 09:17:58 am »
Turns out Nintendo made some questionable decisions when it came to implementing WFC on the DS, and spoofing the old server is as easy as can be.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-constraint-play-ds-games-online-without-hacks.522671/
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo WFC feasible again with stock DS hardware/software
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Nice :beer:
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:35:31 am »
Some more info on the exploit:

Forum thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-constraint-taking-advantage-of-a-flaw-in-the-nintendo-ds-i-ssl-library.522011/
Github: https://github.com/KaeruTeam/nds-constraint

I'm a bit bummed that the original DS and the DS lite don't support WPA. I either have to set up a separate router (or phone), or get a DSi if I want to try it out.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 09:43:49 am »
I've kept my router on WEP with MAC whitelisting all this time.  I know WEP is profoundly insecure, but until now it never occurred to me that MAP spoofing could easily get around the whitelist.

On the other hand, I use Ethernet most of the time, and I don't have a particularly fast connection, so it's not like someone has much to gain.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:20:48 pm »
This trick is similar to one that was actually known when Nintendo's servers were still up.  This reminds me of back when we'd be able to make our own Pokemon in the DS games on another site, then re-tune the settings to one which enabled Pokemon's WiFi to communicate with the site which then sent the Pokemon.

That was pretty fun, but I doubt any are still up anymore.  Nintendo did eventually crack down on one or two of these.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:37:00 pm »
This reminds me of back when we'd be able to make our own Pokemon in the DS games on another site, then re-tune the settings to one which enabled Pokemon's WiFi to communicate with the site which then sent the Pokemon.

That was pretty fun, but I doubt any are still up anymore.  Nintendo did eventually crack down on one or two of these.
The Pokemon GTS? That was running right up until when Nintendo shut down Nintendo WFC. I think it's still running, but I'm not sure if it's in a form that can use this particular exploit just yet.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
Yes, GTS is still running but only for the 3DS generations, I believe.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:08:53 pm »
Yes, GTS is still running but only for the 3DS generations, I believe.
It is rather confusing that the official Pokemon GTS has the same name as this other unofficial thing you can only access by configuring your DNS.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:05 pm »
It is rather confusing that the official Pokemon GTS has the same name as this other unofficial thing you can only access by configuring your DNS.
GTS is the blanket term for WiFi trading across the world, basically it replaced  link cable in this.

What you could do in DPPt at least was basically fiddle with your WiFi settings in a way that you could download Pokemon from different sources in the GTS.  There's more than one, I remember that much but can't remember any site names.  It's been a long time and I never got to know what Internet voodoo or whatever these sites used.

I managed to find one still around, or at least some guts of it.  Here's a readme of how this site works, looks like all DS Pokemon games could do it: http://archive.pokedit.com/support/gts-how-to-send-pokemon-to-your-game.php