News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega mega-play/megadrive/genesis  (Read 334 times)

murdaonyou

• View Profile
Sega mega-play/megadrive/genesis
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:51:24 am »
Hi forum,

Something I was thinking about which led me to this Forum.

I am in the midst of building my Full-sized dedicated streets of rage series arcade cabinet and I can't wait until my dream is a reality, it excites me just thinking of it.

My plan on setup is;

*1x Genesis to Jamma modded
*1x sega megaplay pcb
*1x 2-way jamma switcher (hold down player 1+2 start buttons to switch boards)
*1x Streets of Rage II (megaplay cart, insert coin etc.)
*1x Streets of Rage 3 in 1 cart containing all 3 games
*1x 2 player/3 button (a,b,c + start) control panel setup **PURCHASED
*1X SET OF P1+P2 start buttons **PURCHASED
*12x metres of black t moulding **PURCHASED
*1x Coin mech/Coin door **PURCHASED
*2X joysticks **PURCHASED
*1x jamma harness **PURCHASED
*1x set of lockdown hinges for control panel **PURCHASED
*1x 19'LCD 4:3 monitor
*1x Scanline Generator
*2x Regular arcade speakers 4" **PURCHASED
*1x Min dong PSU **PURCHASED
*1x Slimline subwoofer enclosed with amp (hard to play SOR with that music and no bass)
*marquee artwork and side art still in development stages

Now, my question is, streets of rage II being an arcade version already available on the megaplay system is set for coin use. All I'll need to do to is switch to genesis board to basically play all the games on free play.

But, is it possible to hack SOR 1 and 3 to run like the arcade version of SOR 2;

*insert coin function
*no options menu
*no timer
*maybe mode button mapped to insert coin?
*hidden settings menu for difficulty etc. via command (eg. Hold press up+hold a b c buttons)
*1 ups removed and replaced with money bags like SOR 2

This is not a big deal but it would be great to achieve a full arcade experience, especially with the first being my favourite of the series.

Looking foward to some replies :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:50:16 pm by murdaonyou »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Sega mega-play/megadrive/genesis
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
I don't know about an Insert Coin function.

So you want to remove normal access to the options menu and make it a secret? That's probably the easiest way to do.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:05:21 pm »
I don't know about an Insert Coin function.

Perhaps (just a guess) the modified Mega Play version of SOR2 has a routine that won't let you start the game without a certain address in RAM having credits, and another routine to check a register that checks for coin input, or something. If SOR2 works like that, you could possibly add the same routine to the other games and bingo. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, of course, and frankly I don't see why you wouldn't just have the game as-is in your cabinet and forget about coins. I mean, who really wants to have to put more quarters in every time... :D

murdaonyou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:49:43 pm »
Perhaps (just a guess) the modified Mega Play version of SOR2 has a routine that won't let you start the game without a certain address in RAM having credits, and another routine to check a register that checks for coin input, or something. If SOR2 works like that, you could possibly add the same routine to the other games and bingo. I'm not saying it would be a walk in the park, of course, and frankly I don't see why you wouldn't just have the game as-is in your cabinet and forget about coins. I mean, who really wants to have to put more quarters in every time... :D

I am going to have the game in the cabinet as is, but I thought Id put it out there to see if its possible etc