News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Seven Mansion English Translation Beta v1.0  (Read 1188 times)

Mr.Nobody

• View Profile
Seven Mansion English Translation Beta v1.0
« on: October 20, 2018, 02:11:47 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm glad to announce that the Seven Mansions translation project that I've worked with ArcaneAria in the past months is ready for its first beta release.

This is a full translation of the game. That includes the whole script of the game, graphic assets, subtitles for the videos and audios that affected the gameplay.
The game has been fully tested on nulldc & demul emulators, so, feel free to test it on other emulators or your dreamcast and send us feedback.

-- snip -- (Please edit link to a patch instead in one or more formats. -Mods)

And if you found a bug or a typo in the Beta version of Seven Mansions, please, let us know!

Discord Channel:  https://discord.gg/SQjg5j7

ArcaneAria:       https://twitter.com/ArcaneAriaGame
MrNobody:         https://twitter.com/mrnobodystudios
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:51:29 am by MathOnNapkins »

SCO

• View Profile
Re: Seven Mansion English Translation Beta v1.0
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 03:22:07 pm »
What's the necessary dump, TOSEC or Redump?

Even if you're going the custom patcher route that requires understanding the filesystem, i'd suggest releasing binary xdelta patches for romhacking.net, if they're not too big or if the first requires manual steps (it isn't likely from the size of your download).

I'd love to see more dreamcast translations but i think a process that minimizes the wasted space is necessary, something like the tool that pc-98 translations are using now that understands the filesystem and can create a patched version without manual steps (or very fragile scripts) by extracting the files, patching them and creating a new version of the filesystem that works in place of track3.bin (i think i'm right about this).

Basically it should work on wine, without a interpreter and preferably without path platform problems, so no python or wine anything like that is necessary.

Rust would be a good language because it creates static binaries by default and cargo is easy to use to crossbuild iirc.

That tool, (patchy 98) really revolutionized pc-98 translations and they're much more common now. Maybe ask for help from those guys? (though i suppose the dreamcast sega format is very different from a standard fat16 or whatever pc-98 used). One dream is to one day do a tool like that that works for most console filesystems so patches of 10 mb that turn into 1gb xdelta patches because of changed size of files are a thing of the past. I feel this is a bit unlikely because recent consoles started making their own compressed/encrypted virtual filesystems that have the same problem at a higher onion level, but the quest is noble...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 12:56:15 am by SCO »

nicoblog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:15:26 am »
What's the necessary dump, TOSEC or Redump?
Neither cos that is actually a full game (cdi) not a patch.  ::)

GHANMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:18:01 am »
xdelta for non standardized scene dumps, especially dreamcast, is an awful choice.
At least patches that include tools to rebuild the filesystem will work across all possible dumps.

Congratulations for the new release.

Mr.Nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:25:38 pm »
We tried to create a patch but it was over 400mb so, in the final release we'll try to figure out the best way possible to release the translation.

My fault, Sorry about that mods.

nicoblog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 08:54:04 pm »
We tried to create a patch but it was over 400mb so, in the final release we'll try to figure out the best way possible to release the translation.

My fault, Sorry about that mods.
Thanks so much i didn't know this game, looks creepy as hell!  :laugh:
Excellent job!  :woot!: