News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack  (Read 7019 times)

redmagejoe

• View Profile
Re: Crystalis - Sky Tower Exit Hack
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:29 pm »
While working on this I also hit up Steve Hacks for a standalone version of the screen shake on message boxes fix that his randomizer comes with. He figured it would be best to push that as a standalone patch, so that may be coming down the line sometime soon. Taking another break on the CHR experimenting while I deal with some offline obligations, but I'm hoping to focus all of my attention to this again before long. Graphics are the only thing left to do before this patch can be released.

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 01:58:50 am »
Considering that RL obligations have piled up again, and I've made no progress on this hack as a result, I'm contemplating putting it up as a v0.1 patch. I'd really like to see this through to its completion, but I also hate the idea that I might not be able to finish it for whatever reason down the line, and have the time and energy I put into it, coupled with Steve Hacks' awesome help, go to waste. If someone should want to carry on the torch and address the graphical aspect of this, at least they would have a baseline to work with, plus the functional end of this previously-requested hack would be out and available, albeit in a not-so-polished-cosmetically state.

Thoughts on this?

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:46 pm »
I've decided to upload the Screen Shake Fix, and I'll post a link in here as soon as it's cleared the queue. Likewise, I'm thinking I'll go ahead and upload my v0.1 of the Sky Tower Exit hack so that it's at least available. Don't know if there's really all that much interest in it, but I would appreciate it if anyone who might want to give me a hand in polishing it up would post in this thread. With a bit of guidance I can probably finish this up, but I've got zero experience working with graphics.

Screen Shake Fix: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4648/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:20:49 am by redmagejoe »

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 07:55:08 pm »
You mean helping you with those projectiles you were talking about 2 months ago?

Contact me here or here, maybe we can work something out.
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

redmagejoe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 08:36:16 pm »
Yeah, from what I can see it seems like to do what I'd like to do would involve creating new graphics, or at the very least, creating a new orientation of existing graphics in a way that isn't already in the game's CHR ROM. Most of the other work is pretty much just making the ROM call existing graphics (namely the Thunder Sword graphics) when an enemy is killed, a wall is destroyed, and calling Water Sword graphics when an ice bridge is created.

I'll contact you with the disassembly I've got of a fresh ROM courtesy of Steve Hacks, and my WIP ROM with modified addresses. The patch is fully functional but just looks janky graphics wise when those previously mentioned situations arise, since the sword was never meant to be taken out of the tower.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 09:34:03 am »
As far as I know, this screen shake thing isn't a bug to be fixed in the game's code. It's an emulation bug that older, less accurate emulators mess up.