News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [JP-Eng translation] [PS2] Hungry Ghosts (2003) Looking for hackers and transl.  (Read 1510 times)

horowitz

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
Current status of the project:
I have a pack.dat file from the game, which I extracted into 2541 bin files. I used SJIS dump to dump JP text out of these files and see which ones of the .bin files contain text. I sorted through most of the files already.

Link to the modified file extractor for pack.dat (credits to weissvulf): http://www.mediafire.com/file/982jeqkq3v7gdyt/PACK.DAT_Extractor.zip

I separated most unrelated code and blank (0 bytes) files from actual text files reducing the file total from 2541 to 1281 (it is actually more, I have not finished identifying all of it but nearly finished).

I needed help with creating a file rebuilder/repacker to merge the .bin files back into the pack.dat, accounting for the size change and making another tool to help with text reinsertion and editing based on the files' pointer locations pattern (which I can help provide).

The translation has a volunteer for a later date but any applicants who are committed are welcome to contact me with what they offer and may be accepted.

Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:.

Here is a link to the dump of the .bin and sjis files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zcn_UtIimQE6FmOcq3AhJzT4wMXh8ngV

The folder "actual files" contains the .bin files extracted using a pack.dat (pack.dat is the file that contains all of the game's text) extractor tool separeted in 3 folders:

1-NO TEXT-.BIN
2-ITEM AND AREA NAME TEXT, CODE OR BOTH-.BIN
3-FILES WITH MOST TEXT-.BIN

1-Files with 0 bytes.
2-Files that may or may not contain some text.
3-The files with text that I separated.

The folder "SJIS Dump" contains the same as above, but is in SJIS text format (just included for quick reference).

This a free project and everyone involved will be adequately credited.

For more context please check the following posts. Will make a full overhaul of this main post once I update the dump and get some help to create a file repacker/rebuilder at least.

A link to an early experiment image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nU6mlaiOaSGKCmVyHEuz9bv0ksylkeUk

Best regards to everyone of this great community!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:13:39 am by horowitz »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Re: [Japanese to English translation] [PS2] Hungry Ghosts (2003) - text dump
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 12:10:01 am »
Hi there! I wouldn't mind taking a peek at this if you had the dump available in simple text documents.  (txt, rtf, something like that pretty please) :thumbsup:

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:10 am »
Hi Cargodin, thanks for the reply. Download the SJIS format files here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zcn_UtIimQE6FmOcq3AhJzT4wMXh8ngV) then open them with notepad++ (.SJIS can be opened with this program and with it you can see the Jap text properly because it automatically changes the encoding for you). You can edit pretty well in this program too.

Here is a link: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.9.html

Download the portable AKA "minimalist" version so that you don't need to install.

Any more questions, please ask. Are you interested in translating?

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:41 pm »
Hi Cargodin, thanks for the reply. Download the SJIS format files here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zcn_UtIimQE6FmOcq3AhJzT4wMXh8ngV) then open them with notepad++ (.SJIS can be opened with this program and with it you can see the Jap text properly because it automatically changes the encoding for you). You can edit pretty well in this program too.

Here is a link: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.9.html

Download the portable AKA "minimalist" version so that you don't need to install.

Any more questions, please ask. Are you interested in translating?

The story, character dialogue and ample chunks of UI seem to be missing, but I imagine the subtitles are either images or encoded differently or require another table or what have you. Some major ones are likely hardsubbed,like for fmvs.

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:03:40 am »
Did you check all folders? Apparently, it is all there because I checked all other files and there is no actual text. Also, the first part of the game was translated once (there is a youtube video HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_t5eEyAHrc), and it all came from this pack.dat file allegedly.

Download the game here (my GD, so it is safe): [links to ROMs and ISOs are not allowed]

And CDmage to extract it here: https://www.videohelp.com/software/CDMage

You may understand the full picture better if you see the file structure. You can also try using the modified SJIS tool in the original post (http://www.mediafire.com/file/982jeqkq3v7gdyt/PACK.DAT_Extractor.zip) on other files of the games to see if you find what you believe is missing.

Play the game a little if you can (emulator on lower settings will work on many computers nowadays)so understand better how it uses the files. I played about 5 hours of it... Most of it are text prompts on-screen (like those on jrpgs) and text heavy files that you pick up giving background to the story. The subtitles are not all hardcoded on fmvs (some might be but you can add text over a fmv if needed) because I played it and most of the game's cutscenes are in real time.

I also saw you have another translation project going... I could help you with that after making some progress with this.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:58:17 pm by danke »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:24 pm »
Hmmmmm, is the youtuber still working on their translation? Unless you can direct me to a post saying they canceled it, I don't think it's appropriate of me to jump the gun and take on any translations of the game. Sorry! : )

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 05:14:20 pm »
Contact Tom, he was very interested in translating this years ago.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:29:28 am »
Cardogin, I am pretty sure it was abandoned but this is an entirely different project anyway.

Gemini, what is Tom's profile ID? Just so I can PM him. If you can direct him to this post, as you seen like you've been here for quite a while.

Thanks for the replies

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:33:04 am »
Cardogin, the videos are also from 4 years ago and there is no reply from the project starter after August 2016.

This was his last reply: http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/bbs/index.php?topic=588.msg13245#msg13245

He never provided any files for his supposed partial translation, so I had to start my own project from scratch.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 10:28:44 am »
horowitz, yes I did notice all of that. However, unless you explicitly asked him recently, sometimes projects do take a few years. Did you ask him over Youtube or SoM and simply never received a reply after a few months? In which case, sure whatever, but if you didn't ask him at all...

As for the text, I went ahead and searched for all instances of certain kanji/strings that were appearing in the intro(I own the game and can cross-reference), and while I was hitting some results(so I know the search function and all that was working as desired), I wasn't getting text matching the dialogue of some characters at all. That's why I think the realtime subtitle text lies elsewhere or exists in some other format that hasn't been found yet.

Still, if you do want to pursue this project and think you can address those two things along the way, then I second Gemini. Tom is totaly legit, and I'll bet he'd be happy to be offered the project.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:10 am »
Hungry Ghosts is an absolutely beautiful game, one that I have wanted in English ever since I first played it so many years ago. I would normally jump right into it, but at the moment, I'd be biting off more than I can chew (with my other projects still in the works). If nobody has translated it by the time I've finished translating Zill O'll, you'd better believe I'll be up for it!

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 11:13:50 am »
Cargodin, I did contact him last year, a few months ago, and last week. Never had a reply. It says his last sign in date on SoM was in August 2016 (same as his last post). Could you explain more about the apparent issues you think you found? I can get these out of the way probably but help me recreate the steps you took. Did you use a debugger and played it on emulator?

Tom, thanks for the reply. I understand, the game may take some weeks or months depending on availability to translate. I have almost full availability for some months now and could dedicate lots of time to it. If you could help me with getting this dump cleaner and more useful at first, it would already be a great help (you can guide me to an issue you find and I can do the part that takes more time. When do you expect to finish your other projects? Could you take a look at least, run the usual quick tests if you may?

Many thanks and good luck on your other projects.

P.S.: Zill O'll seems like an amazing game. Hope you can get it done! I may play it one day.

November 10, 2018, 12:01:09 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, Cargodin, there are only two other big files on the game, apart from PACK.DAT, which are DUMMY.BIN with 0.97 GB, STREAM.DAT with roughly 273.5 MB, SCPS_150.46 with nearly 3 MB. The other files are all less than 400 KB. DUMMY.BIN is probably just dummy data, a STREAM.DAT dump is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JXOILGDdlRjl7zxS3WxaNhQB0z3qmWvF (It does not seem to have any actual in-game text but it wielded a small number of text/code related files after extracting, so it is quick to search) and SCPS_150.46 is basically the game loader/ executable file, so it cannot contain it, I think.

I can test the other smaller files to see if I find anything. The folder "ITEM AND AREA NAME TEXT, CODE OR BOTH-.BIN" (in the original post)in my package probably has one or another line that was meant to be translated too, maybe you could search for a bit of the intro there? What program are you using to search? Can you provide a screenshot of the text that does not show up so I can look for it?

November 16, 2018, 04:30:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
An update... basically the "missing text" cargodin pointed out was actually due to the the fact that the txt dump was done on SJIS dumper set to "3 0" at the end on the CMD (meaning ignore lines smaller than 3 characters) I just ran SJIS dumper set to "1 0" and found an average of 50-100 more lines of text (1 or 2 characters long though) per file. Which means there is no problem with my dump itself since the "ACTUAL FILES" folder linked on first post contains all of the txt inside them, just not completely extracted (if any movie/fmv files are discovered to have embedded txt, which at this point seems unlikely, we will cover this later).

This is easily solvable by running a batch file for SJIS dumping all the files within that folder. I already have it made but I know of a small bug on this utility which would duplicate or ignore certain entries if set for less than 2 characters. Knowing this, using the autoasm maker tool would make it all much cleaner and easier.

Now I really need someone to help with the assembly/disassembly of the selected files, with tuning auto asm maker (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25409.msg348494#msg348494) specifically for hungry ghosts, as it would be the most economical option producing very accurate results and, of course, the actual translation.

The other option, which would be to dump all files as txt again with sjis dump set to "1 0" would still require the asm tool to be used (or some other assembler/disassembler tool). The SJIS dumps were only done to check which files had real jap txt on them and now that these files are identified, we can run a tuned asm tool on them (but I cannot tune the dang thing by myself :o).

Thank you Cargodin for pointing out the missing txt! Your info really helped me identify the problem :thumbsup:!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:30:02 pm by horowitz »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »
Sorry for the late reply to the thread. I've been away from home all weekend, so I'm finally back to creeping on the Internet after a draggy shift at work.

Thanks for clarifying on the situation, horowitz. I get very antsy when it comes to dancing around other peoples' projects. As for the new text, do you have updated copies where it can be viewed, or is that why you need the asm assistance? (Sorry if I'm misreading your response above.) I can't help with any technical work, but I'd be happy to help identify certain things for the time being in case Tom would like to take over later.(Tom really is the guy for this particular project. He's the most thorough guy I know.)

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 09:34:15 am »
Hi, Cargodin. Tom also is not proficient at hacking per se. His stuff is mostly translation, which is fine. But yes, I really need someone like Gemini to help me out with this more technical bit regarding tuning a program for processing the files through an assembly/disassembly tool and finding pointers for the text. I can dig through my "new" dump and make it more decent manually even if it would take time since using "1 0" parameter on SJIS Dump creates too many false positives. That is why I mentioned that using the auto ASM maker would save me time, because allegedly, the tool would also dump the text along with the pointers and other stuff (I never really did it successfully but weissvulf told me it would work this way some time ago).

But well, since no one is involved that has the expertise to do it, I did this new dump: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16huobK_sQGZUM3wz93K4GOJ9aNVLq725
--edit: this is a mostly useless dump just here to show newcomers the bugs of sjis dump at parameter 1 0, lol. But seriously, there is no use for this file the "old dump" (the .bin files in the folder "actual files") are all that is needed. Sjis dump was used mostly for reference to sort which files have text.

The game's files in their raw format are here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CXJbNFfohaX7828H89tUD0IIo-aQ3H9o
(pack.dat, main file needed for the translation, is in data>pack.data)

It is structured the same way as the other dump, only difference is that the files are now riddled with various MBs of false positives and it has more text. Also the "no bytes txt" files now have some code or txt (probably only code from what I saw) in them too.

But again, 95%+ of the useful stuff will be in the "pack.dat dump-sjis 1 0" folder.

This dump can be cleaned to be a definitive one but what I meant before was that I would still need to run ASM tools on it anyway or the other to ensure I have the pointers' locations, to understand how the pointers behave when text limit is exceeded and to see if the pointers are stable and contained within specific files or scattered around randomly. And also that since I will have to do it anyway and it is said to dump the text along with the pointers for me, it might be the more economical way.
-- edit: now I know this dump is actually broken and missing important text bits and CANNOT be cleaned or whatever... Just have to stick to the .bin files and play with the hex to find pointer/text combos and make a tool to easily reinsert them on every individual .bin file and then repack - sjis dump is only for reference (and only at 3 0 parameter at that!). It is not difficult for someone with the right skills to make a tool to rebuild pack.dat/reinsert text and pointers, since all the .bin files are tagged with their native offsets from pack.dat

Anyhow, in short, I am not sure if auto asm maker dumps the text too in its original format but I do know that cleaning this new dump is a viable alternative albeit a more demanding one.

Also, I do not know what you mean by antsy in this case but I said on the first post in this thread that this a project in which everyone who really wants to help is welcome to. And I tried to contribute some to your project too because you helped me realize something I was not seeing about mine.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:29:03 pm by horowitz »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:36 pm »
I wish I could be more helpful with technical/hackity-hacking stuff, but I don't mind peeking around and poking at text where I can.

I'll peek at the new dump and run any questions I have of it with you.

And no worries, when I meant "antsy", I meant it in the past tense, but you already clarified that the previous translator's project is essentially dead, so it cleared my former worries. Sorry for the confusion there!

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »
OK, I appreciate it. Try to see if the missing words from the intro are still missing, etc. Things like that would help to confirm if SJIS dump is extracting every word, despite having false positives. And, of course, use notepad++ as before.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:47:04 pm »
OK, I appreciate it. Try to see if the missing words from the intro are still missing, etc. Things like that would help to confirm if SJIS dump is extracting every word, despite having false positives. And, of course, use notepad++ as before.

So, the very first story lines after entering your player name+memory card information:

背後に気配を感じる…
(I sense a presence behind me...)

ここが どう言う場所か わかるか…?
(Do you know what kind of place this is...?)

この川がは 死者達の渡る川…
この先にあるのは死者の村…
すなわち… 地獄…
(The departed cross this river...
to reach the land of the dead up ahead...
You could call this... Hell...)
(I don't remember how reliant this game is on real-world mythology, but you could call these places the River Styx and Hades/The Underworld, respectively.)

If you can find these particular lines in the document, take a screencap for me. : )

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 11:45:26 pm »
Hi, I checked the dump and sadly SJIS dump is seriously flawed regarding its parameters. This new dump I did using 1 0 parameters is very flawed because text that was previously present in certain files was actually not dumped... Found it out when searching for the phrases you mentioned. Still, using text search program astro grep with the default settings yielded me results for the first line (背後に気配を感じる…) in many files. I reckon that the other lines might be in another file maybe or part of the video. Or maybe the program is for some reason not detecting them... I will run some more tests

November 21, 2018, 11:59:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, Are you sure the letters are exactly those and are they separated/spaced somehow? Maybe in the files they are separated by line or something...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:59:05 pm by horowitz »

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 12:04:43 am »
Hi, I checked the dump and sadly SJIS dump is seriously flawed regarding its parameters. This new dump I did using 1 0 parameters is very flawed because text that was previously present in certain files was actually not dumped... Found it out when searching for the phrases you mentioned. Still, using text search program astro grep with the default settings yielded me results for the first line (背後に気配を感じる…) in many files. I reckon that the other lines might be in another file maybe or part of the video. Or maybe the program is for some reason not detecting them... I will run some more tests

November 21, 2018, 11:59:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, Are you sure the letters are exactly those and are they separated/spaced somehow? Maybe in the files they are separated by line or something...

I searched down to individual kana(i.e. "川" through all open documents), but didn't get these particular lines at all.

Also, I have success finding 強い邪念と 凶暴性を感じる…(I sense malice and great evil...) on multiple occasions, but that's not the same line as the first line in the dialogue. Same verb, anyway.

horowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 12:27:59 am »
I did the search on the older dump and the first line (背後に気配を感じる…) showed up multiple times. Try searching on the older dump (the older one will have all words with more than 2 characters so for these phrases there is no compromise).