News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A fan translation has been officially used. I can do nothing right?  (Read 1809 times)

Mewster

• View Profile
The World Ends With You for Switch has been just released, and it has 90% of the unofficial translation I and Mentz released years ago.

Obviously Square CAN do it, I just wanted to know if I have any room for... anything? A mention? A thank you? Has it ever happened in the past for other games?

NOTE: I have not been contacted by Square, I'm trying to get in touch with Mentz to find out if he knew anything.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:11:04 pm by Mewster »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: A fan translation has been officially used. I can do nothing right?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:54:13 pm »
Unofficial translation... for what?
The game was originally translated officially, or did you work on it before the official one?
If so why would they copy that instead of their own?
Or is there anther version besides the DS?

I feel some information is missing here. :)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:56:58 pm »
The DS version was never translated in italian; I worked on the DS italian fan translation, and it seems the italian Switch version is based on that one

(this is just an example, the text is 90% the same)

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:20:08 pm »
Sorry to hear that. Sadly, I don't think there is anything that you can do about this.

I know XSEED used at least one of the Ys fan translations, and a vew visual novel companies teamed up with/hired fan translators to use their translations and release their games for official distribution, but those are very different cases than the one featured here.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
I would expect in a lot of cases there's really only one way a phrase can be translated, such that two teams working independently will arrive at a similar product.

Are there distinctive phrases from the fan translation that appeared in the official translation?

Also, was the iOS version released in other languages?

This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:37:10 pm »
I would expect in a lot of cases there's really only one way a phrase can be translated, such that two teams working independently will arrive at a similar product.
It's pretty much impossible to get a translated sentence with more than two words to look very similar. The chances are even lower in an entire RPG with many sentences longer than two words...

I had never seen something like this before! I hope they can compensate you somehow, Mewster. At least as a thanks for saving them from doing most of their job. :D
There has to be a better life.

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:59:09 pm »
Could you share some other examples if possible? It's certainly an unusual situation and it'd be helpful to have other examples to have to point to.

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 04:37:07 pm »
Sure, I have 2 comparison videos, (outdated) ds translation vs italian switch let's play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWUSc1suGs (2:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6xWPvF1lXQ (58:17)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:44:28 pm by Mewster »

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:20:06 pm »
Your best bet would to post this on Reddit with a bunch of examples. Reddit loves to witch hunt so this topic will probably skyrocket there, and if anyone who's anyone can do something for you, like a "thank you" shout out to your group/team, then this would need to be one of the top post of /r/games or something to get noticed by that someone first.

Though, I don't see anyone admitting they stole your work, you might get some dudes fired... who knows.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 06:22:11 pm »
dont you think by stealing his work instead of actually working, they'd deserved that to begin with. especially if they tried to pass it as their own. (which we dont know of if the company just asked them to copy it or if it was their own doing.)
In PSP we trust.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 10:17:55 pm »
I don't know modern Italian well enough to play comparator.

Anyway same phrases that are not likely to be translated the same (games tend to use quite simple language so it is not impossible, at least in English) is a good start.

Stylistic turns of phrase are another good one -- we all have fairly unique fingerprints in text (read much of what I write and you will find a lot of --, (), not many commas outside of asides and names, probably the occasional semicolon,... as a hanging implication, often me missing out small joining words like if, it, is and such)

Errors is better. Did someone make a grammatical, punctuation... error that is likely to only be a human fault.

People copying databases, code, maps and such is a well known concept here and will provide you many tools and techniques that might allow you to tell things by.

As for what goes afraid I don't know Italian intellectual property courts. While yes in English it would be a derived work or similar unless SE sued you and obtained or you otherwise gave them the rights to use it they would have still wronged you in using such things. With that in mind then courts tend not to like things that don't end in monetary awards or jailtime. Moral victory in the press against either Square Enix or their Italian translators is an option though.

Pokeytax

• View Profile
    • Cavespeak
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:11 am »
I don't have anything constructive to add, but I consider this a pretty big deal, and a major escalation from Square Enix (which has been extremely aggressive toward fan translations). It's also troubling from a labor perspective. Thank you for alerting us to this issue, and please keep us posted.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 07:29:04 am »
The most obvious reaction I can think of is trying to reach out to the publisher for an explanation.

If you are lucky and they feel guilty - you might get some recognition - who knows.

/dACE

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:20:35 am »
Wow, this is really sad if true. As someone who has translated and edited numerous scripts, I'd be honored if the original company used any of my work to help in creating their own, "official", translation, but I'd definitely want at least a "thank you" in the credits.

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 10:10:40 am »
Wow, this is really sad if true. As someone who has translated and edited numerous scripts, I'd be honored if the original company used any of my work to help in creating their own, "official", translation, but I'd definitely want at least a "thank you" in the credits.

That's my point exactly. I'm happy that my work has been used by Square, but well...

Robin64

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:30 am »
Sure, I have 2 comparison videos, (outdated) ds translation vs italian switch let's play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWUSc1suGs (2:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6xWPvF1lXQ (58:17)

These two points in the video show a slightly different translation. Or does your updated one (you mention this is outdated) match the Switch one closer?

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 10:38:22 am »
These two points in the video show a slightly different translation. Or does your updated one (you mention this is outdated) match the Switch one closer?

I don't think nor I remember that my final version would differ much from the old one. Square's translators at least reviewed the whole script to correct some mistakes or to make the game more readable.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 11:43:02 am »
The problem is, if they acknowledge they used your work, you could maybe cause trouble for them somehow.

Mewster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 11:53:40 am »
The problem is, if they acknowledge they used your work, you could maybe cause trouble for them somehow.

pfft. The best trouble I can wish for is that they give me a translator job.

NERV Agent

• Cureable if treated early by meds from Dr. Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 12:11:26 pm »
If this is true, I guess plagiarism is what all the cool kids are doing these days, right IGN?
Pen Pen Toblerone Vomit Pooh Cancer is waifu of the year. Fucking Internet....