News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Lucha Libre Fantasy (FF1 hack)  (Read 1192 times)

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
Lucha Libre Fantasy (FF1 hack)
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:48 pm »
I've been a lifelong wrestling fan, and have always been enamored with Mexican wrestling since I was a kid. This game is basically a loveletter to one of my greatest hobbies, and all of lucha libre including the movies starring guys like El Santo, Blue Demon and Mil Mascaras (fans of MST3k likely have seen these).

This project is going to take a long time since I started it not even knowing what to do with a hex editor, but have been teaching myself things as I go along (luckily FFHackster helps with many things). Currently I've been trying to focus on sprites while I plan the other aspects like spells, bug fixes, story etc.

Here are some screenshots of some of the work I've done so far:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:20:21 am by Orochi Kusanagi »

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Lucha Libre Fantasy (FF1 hack)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
Cool pictures and the font is nice, too. Don't give up on this hack keep going, it has potential.  :cookie:
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:08 am »
Thanks for the encouragement! I know this is all very basic stuff at the moment, but the goal is to make it feel like a completely fresh experience.

The font was something I made in an attempt for a nice clean and thin font. I think I have it pretty much where I want it to be now.

Thanks to reading every bit of info I could find here and on the GameFAQs thread, I've started to modify certain things too using things like Grond's strings patch, the battle DTE, etc.

Here's one of the monsters so far, currently named Bandit. The enemies in the game are all going to have a Mexican/Lucha Libre movie feel, so expect to see plenty of folklore/mytholgy and monsters like the Wolfman, Dracula, etc. (these guys were in so many of those movies and comics).

I've designed 12 monsters at the moment, still trying to get some of the others just right so here it's just the Bandit being posted for now.

I discovered how to implement extra DTE characters thanks to the Grond notes posted on GameFAQs, which will go a long way in trying to fit in all of the monster names for the constant usage of things like hu, tl, etc. I'll probably change Bandit to Bandido now for some extra character to the hack.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:58 pm »
Wow man, this looks really cool! The blue wrestler reminds of El Superbeasto, you ever seen that movie?

I like how to Bandit looks, too. So far you're doing an amazing job with this hack, I can't wait to see more. How many enemies are in this game, I beat this game once when I was younger. Maybe I can help you draw enemies in case any ideas don't come to mind. I'm not a spriter, I draw traditionally. :)

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:30:42 am »
Glad you've liked it so far!

No, to be honest I didn't even know Rob Zombie made this. I've liked his other films, so I'll try to check it out.

I think there are 57 unique enemy sprites not including palette swaps counting all of the monsters and bosses. Many enemies have 2-4 alt color variations.

For these my plans for naming schemes will differ. For example, Chaneque has three alt palette versions, so I plan on using prefixes like Moon, Sun, and Killer for him and others like him. I really wanted to do del Sol and del Luna as suffixes instead, but that would be way too long with some of the other monsters using this setup.

Others like La Catrina here, will be a little different. La Catrina is a more modern interpretation of the Aztec goddess of death, Mictecacihuatl. So her alt palette will be named Mictecacihuatl instead of (Sun/Moon) La Catrina, since there is an already established different mythological figure.

And thanks for the art offer! I'll definitely hit you up if I get stumped at any point.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:52:44 pm »
Okay cool, I hope to see more pics soon. :D

Edit: Sorry for overlooking your recent screenshots, they really really badass! :cookie:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:13:01 pm by Googie »