News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Let's Translate Every Game Gear Game  (Read 18796 times)

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
Re: Let's Translate Every Game Gear Game
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:22 am »
Apparently, the 3rd game in the series was changed the most. It would seem that the dungeons are completely different in the GG port, and many plot elements are also different because of that. Then there's the Saturn game, which is a more typical turn-based, party JRPG. PC-98 also had MM: A-R-S, which are the prequels for the three main characters (only A was ported to GG - that being Arle's story). In other words, there's a bit of a kerfuffle with this series. Anyway, still good to see part 2 done. GG sure has been getting some love lately.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 10:26:54 am »
why Arle's face takes up 25% of the screen and I was like, "IT'S THE HP BAR YOU %$#(*%$!"

I do remember that from the SFC spinoff. A very unusual way of expressing it. One of the easiest RPGs I ever played (next to Emerald Dragon SFC, where I didn't even need to manually heal until the final boss), but very good.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:00 pm »
Apparently, the 3rd game in the series was changed the most. It would seem that the dungeons are completely different in the GG port, and many plot elements are also different because of that. Then there's the Saturn game, which is a more typical turn-based, party JRPG. PC-98 also had MM: A-R-S, which are the prequels for the three main characters (only A was ported to GG - that being Arle's story). In other words, there's a bit of a kerfuffle with this series. Anyway, still good to see part 2 done. GG sure has been getting some love lately.

It certainly has, in no small part thanks to you. It's hard to believe the OP was posted only around 8 months ago and we already have 7 released translation patches (8 if you count Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible).

I do remember that from the SFC spinoff. A very unusual way of expressing it. One of the easiest RPGs I ever played (next to Emerald Dragon SFC, where I didn't even need to manually heal until the final boss), but very good.

I should try that one out sometime.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 03:11:44 pm »
What tools do you use for hacking the games?  I was thinking about modifying the title screen of the first Madou Monogatari translation so it matches the "Sorcery Saga" from the translation of the second.  I'm not sure what to use to do it though.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 05:48:07 pm »
Magical Taruruuto-kun
 - Only needs a title screen hack.

As in, hacking the translator's name into it, or changing the graphics? If it's the latter, I can take a stab at it if the graphics aren't mega compressed. Aaaand I'd need someone to help me translate what's written there ^^;

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 07:25:37 pm »
As in, hacking the translator's name into it, or changing the graphics? If it's the latter, I can take a stab at it if the graphics aren't mega compressed. Aaaand I'd need someone to help me translate what's written there ^^;

Nice. (EDIT: It's the latter.) I grabbed these from some YouTube videos.

This one says "Magical Taluluto" according to Wikipedia's naming convention.

This one says "Yu Yu Hakusho" if you're interested in taking a stab at that one.

What tools do you use for hacking the games?  I was thinking about modifying the title screen of the first Madou Monogatari translation so it matches the "Sorcery Saga" from the translation of the second.  I'm not sure what to use to do it though.

For graphics, aside from writing your own script/program to extract and reinsert graphics you can sometimes use tile editors like YY-CHR or Tile Layer Pro.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
My pleasure. :) Speaking of dragging things out longer than one means to... I'm trying to come back around to working on Bahamut Senki. Sometimes I let a moment of fatigue or frustration put me off of something and that definitely happened in this case. Honestly I think I let my own insecurities get the better of me for whatever reason. I looked over what I'd done and it's all fine. I did a little more on it and it went well. I'm not making any promises, but I'm planning to keep going with that. I'd still like to see that project finished so we have another Genesis/Mega Drive project released.

Don't worry about it! There's no point working on a project if you're not enjoying it. I've still got most of the hacking ready to go whenever you find time for it.

I use custom-made tools for basically everything. For the graphics, I set things up to convert a PNG file to the Game Gear's graphics format and automatically insert it into the game, but unfortunately that won't work for Madou Monogatari I without doing some more work to deal with that game specifically. For that reason, my tools may not be of much help to you, but I'll post all the project resources on my Github account for anyone interested when I get a chance.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »
Nice. (EDIT: It's the latter.) I grabbed these from some YouTube videos.

This one says "Magical Taluluto" according to Wikipedia's naming convention.

This one says "Yu Yu Hakusho" if you're interested in taking a stab at that one.

Thank you! I'll have to take a deeper look when I have the time. A glance with Tile Layer Pro and YY-CHR suggests both are compressed, or just messy enough to look that way; I can see most of the sprites just fine in YuYu, though. I'll give a whirl with Tile Molester when I can though if there's graphics compression I may be useless :/

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 12:03:57 pm »
I was told that the Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba script has been fully translated and edited so I've updated the status.

streeker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
Awesome project! Very much appreciated!

I just wanted to add to the google sheet, that (just like "Puyo Puyo 1" or "Ronald in the Magical World") "Buster Fight" is a multi-region cartridge. So, there is already a full English translation when played on an US or European GameGear.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 09:56:53 pm »
I also thought about this project today when I watched a video of all the Japanese Game Gear exclusives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4uBY77noY

Overall the quality of a lot of the games looked surprisingly high. Zan Gear jumped out at me as oddly intriguing, so it was pleasing to come back here and see that the script's been dumped. :)

I've been meaning to get back in gear with my Game Gear gaming this coming year -- I'd like to play through a bunch of the existing translations and write up reviews.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 12:45:45 am »
Looking at the video, many of the games are already translated, and many others just need a title screen/ending translations, so I'd say that in reality probably half of them are done already! I can tell you that at least one GG series is being worked on at the moment. It shouldn't take too long to complete the translations for all the games in that series. ;)

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 07:38:40 pm »
Overall the quality of a lot of the games looked surprisingly high. Zan Gear jumped out at me as oddly intriguing, so it was pleasing to come back here and see that the script's been dumped. :)

I've been meaning to get back in gear with my Game Gear gaming this coming year -- I'd like to play through a bunch of the existing translations and write up reviews.

There are some amazing looking Game Gear games. Zan Gear seems like a pretty bare bones conquest simulation probably set in the sengoku era. MrRichard999 was asking for what I had on that project, so they may end up making a patch for that if it's not too challenging.

I'd love to see more reviews for all the Game Gear translation patches. Hope you have fun checking them out.

Looking at the video, many of the games are already translated, and many others just need a title screen/ending translations, so I'd say that in reality probably half of them are done already! I can tell you that at least one GG series is being worked on at the moment. It shouldn't take too long to complete the translations for all the games in that series. ;)

I can't wait to see a couple more GG translation patches. Don't know if there will be another one this year or not, but they shouldn't be too far off.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 11:25:33 am »
Thanks for all your work.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Saffith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 12:19:48 am »
I was working on Ninkuu Gaiden for a while. I probably won't get back to it, so hopefully it's okay if I just dump what I know here. I'm afraid dumping the script would probably be more work than just playing the game and transcribing it.

There's no standard text encoding. Each string has its own set of tiles with only the characters it needs, generally in the order they appear. The tiles are compressed, some with RLE and some with LZSS. I think which it uses depends on what palette color the text uses. The good news there is that the tileset number is part of the string itself, so it should be easy to replace just one or two and make them all use those.

Each character is two bytes - top tile, then bottom tile. The font tiles start at 14, and the first three are (usually?) blank, ゜, and ゛. Since the other tiles are in the order they appear, strings usually start out like 06 14 17 14 18 14 19 14 1A, the first byte indicating the tiles. The only specific address I have written down is 0x5E368, which is the first boss intro (「ふうん・・いさましいペンギンだな。).

Control codes:
FA: Process next bytes with no delay (used in large kanji)
FB: Change character pose
FC: Clear window
FD XX: Wait XX frames
FE: Line break
FF: End of text