News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[GUI Programmer Needed] Mega Man 9/10 Level Editor

Started by Rabbid4240, November 29, 2022, 12:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabbid4240

Recently the Classic Mega Man Science discord server dug into Mega Man 9 and we figured out how level data is stored in the game. This opens up the possibility for a level editor! We just need someone to... create the level editor, we will give you all the necessary info (that we have so far) on the ins and outs of MM9 levels. If you would like to make the editor, come to the CMMS Discord!

https://discord.gg/JG47cTHG

DualFox

I've already decoded a lot of the stuff in Megaman 9 (years ago), the level data and sprite animation viewer.
But never had time to make use of it.
The worst part is much of the game is written to IBM(IIRC) 32 bit assembly which is a pain, so unsure if the object programs are 32bit or utilize byte coded scripts.
The stage graphics are 4bit as opposed to the NES 2 bit, and some tilesets exceed the 4 colors per tile limit.
The stages are 14x16 blocks per screen, but cant tell if the stages are divided up into separate sections or simply deactivate objects, a hint is that each stage has a master map - 2D array of screen data pointers that also include neighboring screens that act as pits and borders.

I'm just saying these might be reasons why no full/direct editor or NES conversion was completed yet (AFAIK)
So I probably cant help, but just means people might need to be prepared to do some major tasks for it to work.

(Are we not allowed to post images to here? It would take me forever to find my old offsite posts about it >_>)

KingMike

No, we don't allow users to upload images to the message forum.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Rabbid4240

Quote from: DualFox on November 30, 2022, 12:45:42 AMI've already decoded a lot of the stuff in Megaman 9 (years ago), the level data and sprite animation viewer.
But never had time to make use of it.
The worst part is much of the game is written to IBM(IIRC) 32 bit assembly which is a pain, so unsure if the object programs are 32bit or utilize byte coded scripts.
The stage graphics are 4bit as opposed to the NES 2 bit, and some tilesets exceed the 4 colors per tile limit.
The stages are 14x16 blocks per screen, but cant tell if the stages are divided up into separate sections or simply deactivate objects, a hint is that each stage has a master map - 2D array of screen data pointers that also include neighboring screens that act as pits and borders.

I'm just saying these might be reasons why no full/direct editor or NES conversion was completed yet (AFAIK)
So I probably cant help, but just means people might need to be prepared to do some major tasks for it to work.

(Are we not allowed to post images to here? It would take me forever to find my old offsite posts about it >_>)
Woah, did you say sprite animation viewer? Are you talking about the MM10 Graphics Viewer tool or something in-game?

DualFox

No, I used Game Maker (Overmars/yoyo) to quickly slap together data conversion & display tools, but I only poked at MM9, not 10.
Though I'm not really recommending GM since it has issues, plus not good for making proper developer apps due to a lack of widgets.
I made my own animation viewer simply to see how the characters are actually animated - framerates, loops & all.

Also, MM9 seems to use the GBA's 4 bit graphics format, if helpful.
Though the game also uses some local hardware graphics formats that might be harder to convert but I think are more for the built-in info screens.

If these images show, shows how "slapped together" it was..

(I was more active around here around 2010, forgot my old account)

Rabbid4240

Quote from: DualFox on November 30, 2022, 09:11:25 PMNo, I used Game Maker (Overmars/yoyo) to quickly slap together data conversion & display tools, but I only poked at MM9, not 10.
Though I'm not really recommending GM since it has issues, plus not good for making proper developer apps due to a lack of widgets.
I made my own animation viewer simply to see how the characters are actually animated - framerates, loops & all.

Also, MM9 seems to use the GBA's 4 bit graphics format, if helpful.
Though the game also uses some local hardware graphics formats that might be harder to convert but I think are more for the built-in info screens.

If these images show, shows how "slapped together" it was..

(I was more active around here around 2010, forgot my old account)
Wowee, that's impressive! Do you think you can share some more info on how you made this in the CSSM server?