News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is music hacking Mega Man 3 possible?  (Read 299 times)

PatmanDeuxMC

• View Profile
Is music hacking Mega Man 3 possible?
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:25:13 pm »
Hi, I'm semi-new to ROM-hacking, and I was looking to edit the music in a ROM of Mega Man 3.  I've seen it done before (like in Rockman 3: Burst Chaser) and was wondering 3 things:
1) Is it possible?
2) If so, is there a way to put an NSF into the ROM?
3) Is there a way to change the sound engine from 2A03/MMC3 (whatever it is) to VRC6? I have the NSF for RushJet1's Mega Man 3 Remade soundtrack and was wondering how to do it.

Thanks,
PatmanDeuxMC

P.S. Is there also a way to do this for Mega Man 1, 2, and 4? (Possibly 5 and 6 too?)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Is music hacking Mega Man 3 possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:45 pm »
0)  Holy moly avoid changing the default text color/font when posting on forums.

1)  Yes, it's possible.  In general if the question is "is this possible" the answer is always "yes" unless you are trying to do something that exceeds the capabilities of the system you're working on.

2)  That's not typically how it's done.  NSFs are basically mini-programs that execute code, use RAM, etc.  Trying to insert an NSF into a game is like trying to take a chunk of code from one game and cram it into another.  More often than not that's going to lead to all sorts of conflicts and problems.

Usually the way this is done is you figure out how the game stores it's music data, then edit it in place.  There have been TONS of MM3 hacks that change the music, so I'm sure the music format is already documented somewhere.  I'm too lazy to check for myself, but there may be a doc on this site.

3)  You can use VRC6 but that is a fairly huge undertaking which you're probably not ready for.  It would involve rewriting chunks of the game code to use the new mapper, as well as pretty much rewriting an entirely new music engine from scratch to use the new audio channels.

PS)  I think Megaman 3+ all use the same music engine.  So if you find a document explaining it, you should be able to edit any of them.  MM1 and MM2 use a different engine though.  But this is just from my recollection, I could be wrong.

PatmanDeuxMC

• View Profile
Re: Is music hacking Mega Man 3 possible?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:07 pm »
Thanks guys, kinda sad to hear I can't put in an NSF file, but I guess if it were possible, it would be WAY too complicated.

Also, I'm also sorry to say that I've given up ROM-hacking. But I still will continue to support the site and all users.

Thanks again,
PatmanDeuxMC

P.S. I guess standard text is fine after all  ;)