News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Final Fantasy VI SNES widescreen patch test

Started by azidahaka, September 23, 2018, 01:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azidahaka

As all others snes games FFVI is a 4:3ish game and as such it's usually played with black bars, or either stretched in widescreen mode.

So i asked myself what could be done to make it more bearable in 16:9 since it's the size all monitors and tvs are nowadays... So i started playing around and checked the results.

These look pretty good in my opinion but i would love top hear more from you all people!

So far only Terra's, the soldiers, the Magitech armours and the townsguards are patched.

Video is here: https://youtu.be/4usxIO7q2FI

Any smart guy will understand the what trick here is, but i guess no-one attempted it so far :D

Naruse

Since we're dealing with 9/16 vs. 3/4 and the ratio between the two is 3/4, it means simply trimming 2 pixels of every 8x8 tile to create a 6x8 version, then offseting every tile of every sprite or tilemap to fit everything together.

It may make more sense to design an emulator specifically for this purpose rather than editing the raw tile data.

For example the native 256 x 224 resolution must be scaled up 7.5 x 4.82 (?) pixels anyway and with nearly 8x horizontal resolution there is a lot of room to play with scaling and interpolation to achieve ideally sharp and accurate results.

The PPU normally positions tiles and sprites on the screen in fixed discrete units (pixels) but there is no real reason relative units (percent) couldn't be used and trivially converted instead.

So in other words the sprites and their offsets on screen could be corrected during the rendering/rasterization process. Backgrounds will always be a problem since there is simply not enough data to fill the screen without stretching. Complaints about lack of pixel-perfect accuracy for sprite collisions and so on are the same whether you modify the source data or modify the rendering.

With a modern GL based renderer the whole process would be hardware accelerated.

It might seem like a lot of work of course... although editing every sprite for every game ever created would arguably be a lot more work than developing a single renderer that works on every game automatically.

It's certainly an interesting concept although the end result may never be perfect due to the limited resolution of the source content especially with regard to backgrounds. Varied resolutions and all the possible combinations of background and sprite modes of the SNES PPU may be of some significant difficulty also.

azidahaka

You got it 100% right  :beer:

I used the sprite editing trick to "hide" the widescreen stretching. And yes it was 2 pixels shortened on the sprites of the characters  ;D

No clue if anyone ever attempted to use that rendering trick, of if anyone has the skill to do it, but in any case it sounds very very complicated albeit an optimal solution.

Talking about the offset of sprites and collisions in a game like ff6 there's basically no differences so it wouldn't matter. Certainly a game like street fighter would be a mess!