News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project "RE-Quest": Script Ports Updating “Dragon Warrior” UP: First DW2 Beta!  (Read 17295 times)

laserlambert

• View Profile
I even want to take Chicken Knife’s decensored efforts and put my own spin on it by making the crosses tridents just for extra authenticity.
I had hoped that would be something you would end up doing for this!

91-MPH

• View Profile
Yeah I’ve already done menu work to increase the space for Battle menus so I have room for ATTACK and DEFEND. Should be just a matter of fixing the length.

Man, I’m going 0-2 on missing the simple stuff XD. My initial thought was “I’ll have to see if I can find something on old usage. Maybe a medieval etymology site or something...” Sometimes the simple solution is best.

I believe I stated in the news post for the DW1 release that I see these hacks as a sort of alternate universe where it was localized as DQ, like it is now, right from the start. I even want to take Chicken Knife’s decensored efforts and put my own spin on it by making the crosses tridents just for extra authenticity.

I know people are nostalgic for the old terms, but I”m all in on getting these done for all 3 versions of the trilogy first and I have little free time as it is. If I get more people who want a hack like that, sure.

I'll be quiet... o_o

It's just that i can't seem to find any authentic custom box art that reflects this alternate universe.

June 30, 2019, 08:40:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
just out of curiosity.

When u mentioned Chicken Knife tweaking the logo for DQ1 in the v1.3 release. Does it have anything to do with removing your credentials in the title screen, just to fit in with this alternate reality u mentioned b4?

I'm curious cause the title screen I mentioned is in the first post of another version of this forum from woodus.com, and I'm not sure if the picture came before or after the post was updated on 04/20 of the same year.

Plus I would like to see the hack pretend to act like the real thing, since the product comes from an alternate reality and all.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:54:00 pm by 91-MPH »

Choppasmith

• View Profile
I'll be quiet... o_o

It's just that i can't seem to find any authentic custom box art that reflects this alternate universe.

June 30, 2019, 08:40:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
just out of curiosity.

When u mentioned Chicken Knife tweaking the logo for DQ1 in the v1.3 release. Does it have anything to do with removing your credentials in the title screen, just to fit in with this alternate reality u mentioned b4?

I'm curious cause the title screen I mentioned is in the first post of another version of this forum from woodus.com, and I'm not sure if the picture came before or after the post was updated on 04/20 of the same year.

Plus I would like to see the hack pretend to act like the real thing, since the product comes from an alternate reality and all.

Nah, Chicken Knife conveyed to me that he's always tweaking his pixel work to look JUST right. In fact I think he tweaked it again after that update. Adding my credit to the title screen was one of the last things I did before release (I think IIRC) and despite my looking at this project as an "alternate universe", it's still a romhack at the end of the day and adding my screen name was just for credit which most people do around here and to curb potential unauthorized distribution (for profit or passing it off as some kind of leaked Virtual Console release or something).

Edit: Yeah, I just remembered. The screen above was an early draft of the logo. The final version moved the QUEST letters over a tile.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:33:50 pm by Choppasmith »

laserlambert

• View Profile
As I am playing through the newly released Dragon Quest Builders 2, during the game (I will try not to spoil the circumstances) you fight an enemy called a Wrecktor, and it made me realise that the enemy you have as Whackolyte should be called Wrecktor, according to Dragon-Quest.org it seems that the remakes replaced the Wrecktor with a slightly different enemy called a Whackolyte, but for the classic NES version he should be Wrecktor, especially to honor the connection to DQB2.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
As I am playing through the newly released Dragon Quest Builders 2, during the game (I will try not to spoil the circumstances) you fight an enemy called a Wrecktor, and it made me realise that the enemy you have as Whackolyte should be called Wrecktor, according to Dragon-Quest.org it seems that the remakes replaced the Wrecktor with a slightly different enemy called a Whackolyte, but for the classic NES version he should be Wrecktor, especially to honor the connection to DQB2.

I'm away from my pc right now, but I'm pretty sure BOTH are in game. I'll double check though. Yeah, I actually have DQB2 loaded on my Switch ready to go, I'm just trying to get through some of my backlog first. I was hoping to have this done before the release but now I'm thinking it would be good to see if they updated anything anyway. I'm really curious how they'll do the past DQ worlds bit for XI S, I'm thinking if I can maybe finally update that Nester cameo line in DQ1 with something more DQ relevant.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:08:34 pm by Choppasmith »

laserlambert

• View Profile
I'm away from my pc right now, but I'm pretty sure BOTH are in game. I'll double check though. Yeah, I actually have DQB2 loaded on my Switch ready to go, I'm just trying to get through some of my backlog first. I was hoping to have this done before the release but now I'm thinking it would be good to see if they updated anything anyway. I'm really curious how they'll do the past DQ worlds bit for XI S, I'm thinking if I can maybe finally update that Nester cameo line in DQ1 with something more DQ relevant.
Sorry to keep correcting you on things that aren't incorrect but you're right, the monster named Wrecktor is named あくましんかん in japanese and the Monster named Whackolyte is named じごくのつかい in japanese, this matches up with DQB2, however in my defense their palattes have swapped! in DQB2 Wrecktor now has green skin and a red cape and Whackolyte now has purple skin and a green cape, sorry once again.

91-MPH

• View Profile
Nah, Chicken Knife conveyed to me that he's always tweaking his pixel work to look JUST right. In fact I think he tweaked it again after that update. Adding my credit to the title screen was one of the last things I did before release (I think IIRC) and despite my looking at this project as an "alternate universe", it's still a romhack at the end of the day and adding my screen name was just for credit which most people do around here and to curb potential unauthorized distribution (for profit or passing it off as some kind of leaked Virtual Console release or something).

Edit: Yeah, I just remembered. The screen above was an early draft of the logo. The final version moved the QUEST letters over a tile.

I know how important it is for a hacker to credit him/herself to differentiate his/her product from the official one.

But a thought just occurred to me.

As a neutral option, for those who want to play a hack that feels like the real thing, and for the hacker who want to credit him/herself in his/her work, why not place his/her username in the end credits, and be credited for the work of Translation or Localization?

July 20, 2019, 01:06:43 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
also, I know u're focused on translating the NES Trilogy at the moment. But are you sure you want to leave behind the fourth installment all alone and frightened? X333

You could complete the NES Quadrilogy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:08:16 pm by 91-MPH »

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Sorry to keep correcting you on things that aren't incorrect but you're right, the monster named Wrecktor is named あくましんかん in japanese and the Monster named Whackolyte is named じごくのつかい in japanese, this matches up with DQB2, however in my defense their palattes have swapped! in DQB2 Wrecktor now has green skin and a red cape and Whackolyte now has purple skin and a green cape, sorry once again.

I just started playing Builders 2 myself and noticed there's a Prestidigitator (black robe) and they call him a Legerdeman (red robe) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So far, I'm not seeing anything worth updating. For a "sequel" to DQ2, it's kinda funny how they mostly drop the Olde English speak. You even have Brittany who talks with modern jargon (fam, GOAT, lit, etc). Only thing worth considering is that the gremlins talk with a lisp.

I know how important it is for a hacker to credit him/herself to differentiate his/her product from the official one.

But a thought just occurred to me.

As a neutral option, for those who want to play a hack that feels like the real thing, and for the hacker who want to credit him/herself in his/her work, why not place his/her username in the end credits, and be credited for the work of Translation or Localization?.

Actually already did both :)

also, I know u're focused on translating the NES Trilogy at the moment. But are you sure you want to leave behind the fourth installment all alone and frightened? X333

You could complete the NES Quadrilogy.

I'd definitely love to go back and do IV as well as do other games that need it like V SNES, but I really want to do all three versions of the trilogy first (mostly because I still need to RIP those scripts first and they work differently compared to I-III mobile).

laserlambert

• View Profile
Oh boy, a little off topic but, the Nintendo Direct today announced the Dragon Quest Trilogy coming to switch! .... well the Japanese direct did... which I don't want to be negative, but that sure seems like a NO for English speaking territories... Again...

Anyway, no pressure! GOOD LUCK!

EDIT - never mind, it is coming out. lol.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:19:37 am by laserlambert »