News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Warrior 1, 2 & 3 Hacking Discussion  (Read 153724 times)

Choppasmith

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Warrior 1, 2 & 3 Hacking Discussion
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2020, 01:26:58 am »
You wouldn't happen to have a link to that, would you? A quick check for various likely-sounding search phrases with Google doesn't turn up anything that looks interesting within the first few pages of results.

Sure :)
https://w.atwiki.jp/dq_binary/pages/31.html

If you use some kind of webpage translator the site should be more obvious but basically the list starts with hacks and then goes to developer tools underneath that. They have some RAM and ROM values for games on the left side, but it's very incomplete and mostly for the SNES games. They do have config files for BNE2, sort of a multi-game data viewer/editor that uses said config files for rom hacking. There's somewhat of a English explanation and how-to here but I haven't tried it myself:

https://www.southcape.org/2014/12/22/using-bne2-for-rom-analysis/

Oh and abw, I'm really sorry, I'm trying to update my DW2 rom with your latest Menu Upgrades patch (via asar). I must be forgetting something (it's been a while) that's different in my ROM compared to an unchanged ROM but I'm getting a glitch when I try to buy any weapon/armor in a shop (It just skips the party menu and goes straight to the "(Cannock) Can not equip this are you sure?" message and the graphics glitch out,

October 23, 2020, 08:41:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, abw, I was hoping to ask if you know how to edit the Redraw Menu text to fix a blink-and-you'll-miss-it glitch when cycling through menus (Sorry to be a pain but I figured maybe you had to touch this up a little bit when doing your Latin translation)

The format is baffling to me

Code: [Select]

AN 
D[top border-77] 
[top border-77][top border-77] 
[top border-77][top-right border] [right border]
Why do you need multiple lines for one line of the window? What are the spaces for?

I tried to simply edit it according to where the letters of the new Command window now line up but that didn't work. ND seems to work a little better than AN but I still get extra lines.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:29:33 am by Choppasmith »

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 24, 2020, 09:47:14 pm »
https://w.atwiki.jp/dq_binary/pages/31.html
Thanks! Alas, there's not a lot of information on that page, and all the links I tried are giving me 503 errors, so I can't even try it any of it out for myself :(. Assuming they actually do have a (non-Overworld) map editor, I'm curious to see how well it works.

Oh and abw, I'm really sorry, I'm trying to update my DW2 rom with your latest Menu Upgrades patch (via asar). I must be forgetting something (it's been a while) that's different in my ROM compared to an unchanged ROM but I'm getting a glitch when I try to buy any weapon/armor in a shop (It just skips the party menu and goes straight to the "(Cannock) Can not equip this are you sure?" message and the graphics glitch out,
Probably what you're missing are the 2 new menus and their pointers. Basically I just took the 2 BUY/SELL target menus (from pointers #18 and #42), copied them to new menus (creating pointers #75 and #76, which meant shifting the entire block of menu data down by 4 bytes), updated them to include a space and the new optional E control code ($F0-$F2 depending on the hero), and adjusted their size/position to fit the new text.

Why do you need multiple lines for one line of the window? What are the spaces for?
Because it's not one line of the window, it's two lines divided up to match PPU attribute boundaries so that the game can apply the right palette when clearing and drawing the overlapping tiles (of course, the palette doesn't change between the parts of the COMMAND and EQUIP menus that overlap, but it's all part of the same system that handles rolling the EQUIP menu up and down over the map background which almost always does use a different palette, so the overlap section still has to obey the same rules). A tiny bit of experimentation will show you that that "AN  " is the "AN" of the top line and then the 2 spaces on the second line directly under the "AN". The rest of the data works the same way, e.g. "SP  " covers the "SP" on one line and the "  " directly below it.

After updating that section of data, you'll want to test getting into a battle, because despite being completely separate conceptually, the game actually uses one of the strings of 4 consecutive spaces from that block of COMMAND menu replacement text as one of the black backgrounds in battle :P.

And yes, DW2's menu clearing/redrawing is indeed a pain.

Retrolife

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2020, 05:24:04 am »
Next year is 30th anniversary of DW III so a new hack is in order one that brings out the best of the game in every aspect(gameplay,storyline,npcs,graphics)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 28, 2020, 04:29:16 pm »
Guess I was a few months too early on our DQ3 NES restoration / retranslation hack.  :P

I intend to eventually work on the SFC version, but even if I started it immediately, (which I don't plan to) it would definitely not get finished in 2021.