News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: N64 Script Extraction (game text)  (Read 2250 times)

mades

• View Profile
N64 Script Extraction (game text)
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:39:49 pm »
Is there are any tool to extract game scripts for the N64? By script, I am referring to actual game text. I have searched all over the net, but found nothing.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: N64 Script Extraction (game text)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

Specifically, look at the "Tables and Text Editing" and "Introduction to Translations" sections of the "Getting Started" page.

The short version is that you'll never find a tool that automatically extracts scripts from any game, because each game is programmed completely different from any other, and you'll have to learn how to do some ROM hacking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:59:07 pm by mz »
There has to be a better life.

mades

• View Profile
Re: N64 Script Extraction (game text)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:09:32 pm »
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.

Specifically, look at the "Tables and Text Editing" and "Introduction to Translations" sections of the "Getting Started" page.

The short version is that you'll never find a tool that automatically extracts scripts from any game, because each game is programmed completely different from any other, and you'll have to learn how to do some ROM hacking.

Interesting. I looked at a page exactly like that one earlier, but didn't have as much information:
http://www.romhacking.net/start/#text

Very strange. Not sure if it was a cached page from the server itself, or another website with the same layout. I guess never google material XD, but instead search it on the website itself. Same thing happened when I was using a sports website. It was using a cached version on the server itself.

As for the Japanese translation, I am not looking to translate any games. Rather, take a look at extracting text, and placing new text (same language). I don't speak Japanese lol.