News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating Saturn Grandia  (Read 7453 times)

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
Re: Translating Saturn Grandia
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 09:27:12 am »
There is a tool to translate grandia psx version by butz, the spanish translation used that tool.
Maybe can be useful for saturn version.
I have the tool, but requires an archive that I don't have.
The tool have a GUI to translate and modify pointers around the game. If someone have the complete tool I'm interested too.

Well I've been working on making some basic tools of my own. I've figured a bit more out such has how to parse the script out of the MDT/MDP files, how to break down the script file further into individual event sequences, etc. So with that figured out and digging into the files more it's becoming more obvious that the Saturn and PS1 script data is pretty much in the same format, just the non text data is byte swapped due to endian differences.

But if you have the tool I can take a look at it and see what I can figure out from it if you can link me to it.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 02:14:17 am »
So it's been a while since I've updated this thread here. I've made quite a bit of progress though. First I've successfully been able to convert the PS1 script over to the Saturn format and have it to work. This has made it so pretty much all the script is translated and for the most part working. An older video of this in action can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIlDZtoD7Q

Next, I moved onto the items, menus, and enemies. After some work, I've successfully translated the following:

• All Menus (Save/Load, Config Options, Items/Equip/Magic/Moves/Status, Shops, Item Get, etc.)
  • All Items
  • All Monsters and their attacks.

These have been done by pulling the data out of the Playstation version and injecting it into where it needs to go into the Saturn version. For the items this wasn't too hard as I just needed to put the English data into the file and adjust the pointers. For the monsters it was a bit more painstaking as there was no consistent pattern and all 200+ monsters had to be manually changed.

Menus I was able to somewhat automate it with a tool that looked for pointers/offsets in the BIN files for those screens, and then updated those values based on the new data I wanted to put in to replace the Japanese text. This worked successfully for the most part, with only a few files needing hand adjustments afterwards. I'll be committing these tools to github after I take some time to clean the code up a bit.

Here's some screenshots to show the progress:

However I have hit a snag. It seems that the English PS1 version created additional MDT files for some areas where the text was too big to fit into RAM. Basically the created a duplicate file from a parent MDT file, and put the overflow text into that one. This new file then takes the place of the original after certain story events have happened.

I've looked into the possibility of recombining these files but I'm not sure if it will work as we may hit the same problem. So I'm curious if it's possible to do the same thing the PS1 version did and create these clone files and find a way to make the game use them. However that's probably going to take some time to figure out.

February 09, 2019, 03:22:42 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Sorry for the double post, but I did some more digging and I have at least found what the game uses to know which MDT file to load when you change areas. At offset 0x06029A00 there's a table that lists all the files on the CD, with a value for what sector it's at, and how many bytes it is. The game references this when it wants to load a new file. How it knows which file to get out of this list though I don't know yet.

However, I have been able to play around and have the game load different areas for me by changing the values for one MDT file to be that of another. So by doing this I was able to go from the Port of Parm to New Parm and test out the magic shop screen:

Unfortunately this screen got modified in the English PS1 version, so some of those translations either wont fit or don't make sense, so I've had to improvise a bit here. I also tested out the buy screen and found I missed a word in the trade screen:

Next, I realized I forgot to post some battle screenshots last night:

Finally, just for fun I took Sue on a date to the Pirate Island. The game went a bit bonkers, I can only imagine because characters that should be in the party weren't there, and characters that shouldn't be in the party were there. The game eventually crashed when invisible Feena tried to speak after Justin spoke on behalf of a mermaid:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:22:43 pm by TrekkiesUnite118 »

aorin1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 09:57:12 am »
 :crazy: Great NEWS!!!

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 02:03:34 am »
I realized that I forgot to update this thread. After getting the event flags squared away I have the Disc 1 patch ready for beta testing. You can download it from my github here:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.052.zip

This is a very early release that is intended for Beta testing only. The goal here is to catch any hard crashes or severe bugs in the game, as it's still likely that could happen. While I've caught a few myself, I don't really have the time to fully play through all of Disc 1 multiple times trying various different things. Hence why I'm releasing this early patch.

So if you want to Beta test, download the patch and apply it to your image of the game. I would refrain from burning this to a disc just yet as crashes are still very likely, and I wouldn't want anyone to waste good quality CD-Rs. For now I'd stick to emulators. The emulator of choice for this is Mednafen. It seems to behave the closes to a real Saturn. SSF is a good second, though there are instances where a real Saturn and Mednafen crash, while SSF doesn't.

If you encounter a crash or bug, please provide the following information in either this thread or the SegaXtreme thread:
  • What exactly happened? (Game Crashed, Typo, Garbled Text, etc.)
  • Screenshots or Videos if possible.
  • What where you doing when it happened?
  • Where in the game where you when it happened?
  • A copy of your save file from your emulator.

Aside from the possible crashing, the following issues are known:
  • Voice Audio is horribly out of sync during voiced dialogue.
  • The words "Ambushed" and "Your Initiative" in battle are out of alignment.
  • Battle Menu Icon text is not translated. This is actually Graphical data that needs to be decompressed and edited.
  • Some Post Battle text is untranslated for similar reasons.
  • All but the first Map Screen are untranslated. The text in these screens gets scaled by VDP1 which ended up looking very poor. As a result I have not touched the others until I can figure out a better way to do this.
  • FMVs are untranslated. The format used for these is still unknown so these most likely wont be subtitled for a while.
  • Some text in the Save Load Screen is untranslated (Mostly error messages).
  • Menu Selections are misaligned (Yes/No on Save Screen, etc.)

dm0x

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 11:29:40 am »
The english dub likely wouldnt match the retranslated script anyway, I'd just skip on that. If you want the dub, then play PSX, imho.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 01:43:59 am »
The english dub likely wouldnt match the retranslated script anyway, I'd just skip on that. If you want the dub, then play PSX, imho.

There's no reason it shouldn't match as the script is pulled directly from the PS1 version. In fact it might end up fitting better than the Saturn Japanese audio does right now as it would have the additional pauses that the PS1 script expects so it can stay in sync.

In other news, I've fixed an issue where some additional text was not translated in the SVLD.BIN file. I've also committed the tool I wrote for translating the values in it. The Overwrite Save? is still in there though as I haven't put any thought into better wording at the moment.

On final note I have some good news concerning Grandia Digital Museum. Upon peaking into the disc the file structure appears to be the same as the original game, and the file formats look to be similar. So with some luck my tools should be applicable to Digital Museum as well.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 11:21:36 pm »
That's great news! Here is hoping the English Dub works out well next. Speaking of the audio format issue, should take a look at what was available at the time the game was made, and narrow it down from there.

Worst case scenario it is completely custom made by the Devs. I was told that sometimes devs do use strange audio formats as a way to mask the real format. I'm not sure if that was a still a practice even way back in the 90s.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 02:10:00 am »
I've created a new patch that can be downloaded from github. In it I've included the following fixes:
  • Remaining untranslated text in the Save/Load screen is now translated.
  • Voice Audio for Intro scene with Mullen, Baal, and Leen should now be in sync with the text.
  • Fixed a bug that a was happening when you meet Gadwin and the Boss Battle wasn't starting.
  • Included a debug mode patch for real hardware users.
  • Corrected an oops in my version numbering

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.53.zip

April 21, 2019, 03:37:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
A new patch version is out, this fixes a crash that was happening at the boss of Typhoon Tower. It also fixes some voice synchronization issues in the two intro scenes where Justin and Sue are introduced, as well as when Justin's Mom is introduced. It can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.54.zip
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:37:00 pm by TrekkiesUnite118 »

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:43 pm »
New patch:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.55.zip

This fixes a crash that was happening after beating Typhoon Tower and trying to go back to Dight Village.

Rolly

• SEGA & Dreamcast fan ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 10:07:37 am »
Fantastic job! I'm happy to download and take tests.
I will also try on real hardwarde.
Im a few days i spread the news about Your project on my portal ;)

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:31 pm »
New Patch:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.56.zip

This fixes an event flag bug in Gumbo that was preventing people from getting to the Twin Towers.

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 07:14:01 pm »
New Patch:

https://github.com/TrekkiesUnite118/GrandiaTranslation/blob/master/SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.57.zip

This should fix a hang up that happened when Leen leaves at the end of the Twin Towers. It also translates the end of Disc 1 screen and cleans up the title screen a bit:

aorin1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:00 pm »
You're on fire.
Seriously, I'm so glad this is becoming real.
I read above you also mentioned that Digital Museum is translatable with the same tools, great news!

TrekkiesUnite118

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 04:30:01 am »
So I now have all the Disc 1 Map Screens translated and running at 704x448. This screen originally ran at 352x448 which caused horrible scaling artifacts in the text drawn by VDP1. I've modified the game code to run this screen at 704x448 so now the text is drawn in it's native resolution:

These should be in the next patch assuming I don't find some horrific bug from the resolution change.