News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Masterpiece Edition [NES] Improvement Mod | ~95% done, looking for help  (Read 15564 times)

superfantendo

• View Profile
Sigmaecho: This is looking great. If you haven't already, feel free to leverage: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1295/

The one not-obvious change I made there that I would love to see carried forward into your hack is the re-coloring of some dungeons.
Many the dungeons have been re-colored so that each has its own color scheme (rather than have 2 gold dungeons, 2 grey ones, etc.). For example: Level 8 (The Forest Dungeon) is now green while Level 5 (The Mountain Dungeon) is brown. Level 2 (The Moon Dungeon) is purple(?).

I also made this change which I thought made sense at the time but I realize the choice between series continuity and preservation of the original is a matter of taste.
A few text changes have been made to the title to make the items match most Zelda continuity (for example: Red Ring is now Red Tunic, Magical Sword is now Master Sword, etc.) No in-game text has been changed.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
You know, this looks really nice, and a good way to pump some fresh blood into Zelda 1. I dig it.
Agreed. Seems to be on hold though.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
I will also say that this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to it.

One piece of advice though. Your new graphics rely heavily on dithering for shading. The only games I've seen use this shading technique are the... well... the bad ones. Nintendo never used dithering in any of their games on the NES or Gameboy. The other old-school greats (Megaman, Castlevania, etc.) also avoided dithering. I think your hack would look a lot better if you steered away from that technique too. I'll try to doctor up a screenshot later today as an example.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I mean. It's not the best sprite-work, but it should be enough to illustrate the point.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:40:01 am by PowerPanda »

Grego

• View Profile
Awesome mod, looks amazing, to think Zelda could have looked this good on nes at release.
UltraNet SNES Network Adapter: https://twitch.tv/ultranetsnes
F-Zero Final v0.2 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmOP23_F6A
F-Zero Final Github: https://github.com/originalgrego/FZeroFinal

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
The problem with dithering is that it can look very bad on CRT tvs.

#

• View Profile
I will also say that this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to it.

One piece of advice though. Your new graphics rely heavily on dithering for shading. The only games I've seen use this shading technique are the... well... the bad ones. Nintendo never used dithering in any of their games on the NES or Gameboy. The other old-school greats (Megaman, Castlevania, etc.) also avoided dithering. I think your hack would look a lot better if you steered away from that technique too. I'll try to doctor up a screenshot later today as an example.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I mean. It's not the best sprite-work, but it should be enough to illustrate the point.

Those rocks in the middle also had shadows in the original. Now they look like floating rocks which might move or attack (as Link and the enemies don't have clear shadows either).

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Those rocks in the middle also had shadows in the original. Now they look like floating rocks which might move or attack (as Link and the enemies don't have clear shadows either).

I think the player would quickly adjust to it, as the rocks aren't moving. I tried to keep NES palette limitations factored into my suggestion. The rocks and the walls share the same palette, so removing black for one removes black for both.

pleasejust

• View Profile
What's the difference between this and Modern Classic Edition?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
What's the difference between this and Modern Classic Edition?
I like MCE, but this takes things to the next level. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the final patch!

illuminerdi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Was this ever released or is it still in progress - I don't see any download links for it anywhere? It looks amazing and I'm definitely excited to get my hands on it!

Thanks  :)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Was this ever released or is it still in progress - I don't see any download links for it anywhere? It looks amazing and I'm definitely excited to get my hands on it!

Thanks  :)
Still in progress. I think the author is dealing with things ILR, but he'll be back.