News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda: Masterpiece Edition [NES] Improvement Mod | ~95% done, looking for help  (Read 14381 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
I can't help but remark that every single Zelda 1 hacks made in the last few years have some sort of graphics that resemble Link's Awakening's graphics. If graphics are to be modified, it will always look like Link's Awakening. Nothing original. It seems to be a solid trend.
Have to agree here.
Link's Awakening graphics are okay and all, but I don't know why they kind of seem out of place for me for Zelda I.
I kinda like the overly simplistic graphics of the original, with no outlines, and the new graphics really clash with the incredibly square-ish assets of the game. They just seem to end out of nowhere, and it doesn't match the style of Awakening, it feels normal with the simple graphics of the original.

The HUD for sure looks a lot better, it definitely needed a rework (and the text too), but the main game graphics seem okay, I would only change Link's sprite a bit to add his yellow outline in his hat ;D

I think my only suggestion to make this the ultimate Zelda I hack would be to add a diagonal slash like ALttP, or every other subsequent 2D Zelda (not Zelda II of course).
If someone managed to do that for Zelda I, damn that'd be hot.

dACE

• View Profile
I think my only suggestion to make this the ultimate Zelda I hack would be to add a diagonal slash like ALttP, or every other subsequent 2D Zelda (not Zelda II of course).
If someone managed to do that for Zelda I, damn that'd be hot.

Has been done in: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2136/

Of course you need some serious debugging to isolate that single feature - but It can be done.

/dACE

lexluthermiester

• View Profile

Of course you need some serious debugging to isolate that single feature - but It can be done.

/dACE
It's not the same as this though. Legend of Link is a top notch mod for sure. However, I prefer the LA/OOS/OOA look that this hack seems to have going for it.
https://youtu.be/8p1_5Cuy0Dg

I'm looking for help finishing it before I release it. There's very little left to fix. Know any programmers who might be interested in helping? I'd like to release it this year if possible.
If only I had the skills.. Personally, based on the Youtube video I think it's good as it is and ready for release. Then once you add the final refinements, you can add in an alternate patch or update.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:39:31 am by lexluthermiester »

dACE

• View Profile
It's not the same as this though.

Yeah - go ahead and code a perfect diagonal slash from scratch by all means...

... OR, if you don’t have wicked asm-skills, at least try to implement what is already coded and available.

/dACE

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
If it's any help, you can take a look at my disassemblies of Zelda 1. There is plenty of comments in there.

http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/

The disassemblies are named "zelda1bank0.txt", up to "zelda1bank7.txt". There's also "zelda1rammap.txt" for descriptions of RAM addresses.

Concerning the cracks in the walls, there is a specific set of tile mappings for the bombable walls (both for Overworld and Dungeons), but they simply are set to the same values as normal walls. The entries do exist, so assuming you have the space necessary to store the new graphics, it will be easy to assign the new tiles. Check my docs for Bank 5 at $15FEE.

About the graphics. I'm not particularly fond of the Link's Awakening style, but I watched the gameplay, and the graphics are indeed very good. They look a lot less flat than the original, and many sprites have a better use of the [limited] colors available. Kudos to that.

One thing I'd like to see is to have a proper "X" sign beside the rupee, bombs and keys counters in the HUD. The original game uses the letter "X" and it looks weird. I think the graphics would allow for an extra tile, but some relocation of graphics data would be necessary.

If I have time, I could see if there's something we can do about the Magic Wand and Wizzrobes. Also, the problem with the 999 rupees. I would advise to consider letting this feature go if it becomes too troublesome. I think having a maximum 255 rupees is not that bad.

wolpak

• View Profile

/dACE

The arrows and item selection in that hack are amazing.  Too bad he remade the game instead of updating it.  I'd love to see that functionality in any "masterpiece Edition" hack.

KillerBob

• View Profile
One thing I'd like to see is to have a proper "X" sign beside the rupee, bombs and keys counters in the HUD. The original game uses the letter "X" and it looks weird. I think the graphics would allow for an extra tile, but some relocation of graphics data would be necessary.
Agree, the fat letter "X" always looked ugly in the HUD. I did a quick and dirty fix on my own hack some time ago by simply drawing yet another letter "X".

This was actually how it looked in early builds of the Japanese version of the game when it still used the "standard NES-font" for the alphabetic characters.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:28:09 am by KillerBob »

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
Agree, the fat letter "X" always looked ugly in the HUD. I did a quick and dirty fix on my own hack some time ago by simply drawing yet another letter "X".

Looks better thinner but if you made the "X" a little smaller too it would make for a less crowded look.

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
This is looking tight, I really dig it! :D

azul120

• View Profile
Would diagonal movement be possible?

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Would diagonal movement be possible?
I want to say no, but there have been other NES titles that have done it. Not sure it's possible with the LOZ engine..

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
I'd love to play Zelda 1, but with all the cool features from Legend of Link.

BULLET Map that fills in (this one has a patch, but it makes the title screen ugly)
BULLET press select to switch between 3 items (would be so awesome, similar to the ZALttP "L & R changes items" hack)
BULLET the save anywhere option (that, ShadowOne333 is adding to his AWESOME deluxe version of Zelda 2)
BULLET sword that "slashes" not just "stabs" (maybe also throw in the spin, but not totally necessary)

there is a bunch of things to add to Zelda 1 to bring it up to snuff with the rest of the series, but a magic/arrow (while it would be cool) would seem unnecessary to me

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
I may sound like an old fart, but... Can Zelda 1 be Zelda 1 ? Why not hack Link's Awakening directly if you want freeform movements, jumps, maps, etc. ?

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
would it really hurt Zelda 1 to be able to switch between Boomerang, Bombs, and Arrows (or whatever 3 items you want) without HAVING to see the inventory screen

would it really hurt to not have to suicide (or map a controller 2) to save the game?

like i wan saying though, a lot of the charm of Zelda 1 would be lost, but maybe a lot of the small nuisances could be taken care of

but adding in a magic meter or arrow counter would seem to be too far for me. some of the oldschool charm has to still come through

i even dont mind the comparison to LA/OoA&S graphics, they still have the look of the Original to me, just added a little depth to the original graphics. maybe a Full Patch (with graphics changes) and a Quality of Life (just the QoL updates and no new graphics) and let the player decide what graphics they want to play using

also, you DO sound like an old fart. LOL

Vanya

• View Profile
I'm of an opposite point of view. What is the point of making an improvement hack if you limit the improvements?

The core of Zelda 1's charm for me is the exploration, not the specifics of the game mechanics.
As long as you still get to explore the game with practically no guidance, then having every improvement from Legend of Link in this hack would be ok by me.
I would even add more tweaks like changing the rupee colors to green for 1 and blue for 5.

mdtauk

• View Profile
For what it is worth, I think Link's Awakening is the result of finally polishing the execution of a Zelda game, and Zelda 1 could only benefit from matching it in terms of gameplay.

If you are defining this project as a "Masterpiece" edition, go for it.  Fix the inventory menus, redo all the maps and designs, make the fonts better, "fix" the swordplay and item controls.

If someone doesn't want these changes, they can find another mod :)

Sarah Shinespark

• Modder for Arcana Seal of Rimsala
    • View Profile
Wow, this sounds super exciting! Wish I had time to chip in.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
This is quite something!
Kind of like a Zelda 1 Redux, if I ever did one :P
If you plan on adding something like the sword swing from Legend of Link, I would recommend having a ROM of it ready in a Hex editor, and opening up the Zelda 1 Disassembly found here:
http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/

Try to look for the portion of the code (subroutine) which handles the sword movement/action.
Then compare it with the one in Legend of Link, that could help to figure out how the diagonal sword movement was made in that hack, and hopefully could be implemented into other hacks too.

I also have a personal ROM of Zelda 1 with the save feature in Controller 1 implemented too, maybe that can help if you want, I was saving it for a probable Zelda 1 Redux hack down the line though, as I'm not sure how feasible that is at the moment for me.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
You know, this looks really nice, and a good way to pump some fresh blood into Zelda 1. I dig it.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is how it's still the same text, just phrased a bit better. Zelda 1's translation is really wonky, as some of the lines in the original Japanese version were changed during localization, and most of the time for worse, seeing as some of the worst hints weren't even in the Japanese version (although there are a few that are slightly better, like the Level 8 hint in Second Quest). I like that the grammar has been given proper attention, but honestly some of the original phrases are cryptically useless no matter how you put it. I know its nice to keep intact the nostalgic elements, but there's a different between being nostalgic (Shovel Knight) and being restrictive because... nostalgia (Mega Man 9). Honestly, the translation as a whole is an interesting read; you should check it out sometime (Here's the Legends of Localization article).

But yeah, otherwise, you did a great job here: I like how nice and detailed the graphics are, alongside the fact that it's not just another "I copy pasted LA/OoS/OoA graphics into Zelda 1" (there's like 10 of these, Jesus). It helps that you try and stay consistent with the original graphics of Zelda 1, and it's honestly all in a really nice style. The touch-ups here and there look very nice too, and it seems like it'd be a great hack I'd like to try out. Seems really great, and I hope you finish it soon enough.
Hey there

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Sorry for my previous message, I was in a bad mood. More quality hacks on the NES is always a good thing.

The idea of diagonal movements would be nice, but it would require serious ASM modifications and additions. As for the arrows counter, it comes with another non-trivial condition: you would need arrow items, dropped by enemies. I kinda like the idea of losing rupees for arrows. It means you can't shoot everywhere haphazardly.

The one thing I hated the most with the game is how secrets are "too secret". Finding a single tree or rock wall in the entire world to find a dungeon is just tedious. Having good clues on the most hidden dungeons and key caves (like Heart Containers) would go a long way, in my opinion. On the other and, having a cracked wall seems a bit too easy, and not really a "secret". Maybe change the graphics of secret walls/trees VERY slightly?