News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question on palette editing  (Read 1474 times)

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Question on palette editing
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:21:51 pm »
I have an issue where I'm trying to edit the palette of a particular set of 4 tiles in Dragon Warrior 3. I've used FCEUX to locate the palette data for those tiles in the rom but my issue is that by changing the data to my intended palette, other tiles on the screen that share that palette are wrongfully altered. The palette that I intend to assign to those four tiles already exists on the screen in that zone, so I would not be adding an additional palette.

My question is: how do I assign those four specific tiles to the different palette without altering all the tiles in that zone that already share the same palette?

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Question on palette editing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:38:20 pm »
You'll need a map editor. Unfortunately, there's no map editor for the game I know of. There may be a multipurpose Dragon Quest utility that my search missed though...

There's a map editing utility called MapEd Pro that let's you edit games...

I've never used it. However, from reading about it you'll need to know how the game stores the map data. Get a debugger ready. Hope this helps!

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Re: Question on palette editing
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:13:47 pm »
This looks like a useful tool to explore. Thank you!

Update:

Not a very user friendly tool, at least not for one at my skill level. I'll probably have to leave this alone for now since everything I'm reading indicates requisite ASM knowledge to alter anything besides universal palette changes.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:08:10 am by Chicken Knife »