News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: One line assistance.  (Read 623 times)

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
One line assistance.
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:09:48 pm »
Need help with this single line of text. The context is that u basically see this scibbled on the wall when locked inside a room in game.

[われ まどをあけて くだりたまふ
 いたきこと はなはだし]
 ・・・と.かいてあります.

• View Profile
Re: One line assistance.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:45:31 pm »
that's archaic japanese, from what I've asked it seems くだりたまふ would be くだっていく, いたき means 痛い, and i suppose はなはだし is 甚だしい.basically, he opened the window, descended (or started descending), then really hurt himself somehow, maybe falling down but if he did i dont see why he would be back at the cell (maybe they caught him and took him back up idk)
edit: don't know why i said cell, i was thinking the whole time this was a prison... well, if you're locked there i assume it's similar anyways.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:50:54 pm by 730 »
Discord: 730#8471

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll try do sth with it. Not archaic, though. Apparently, an author's decision. Just not sure in what person it should be now...

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 11:50:40 pm »
that grammar IS archaic, obviously it was the decision of the game writer to write a line/character that said that. it's first person because it starts with われ. if you want this in normal japanese, it would be something like 「(私は)窓を開けて、降りていく。痛い目に合った」(original is not in past tense or anything but you get the idea).
also it sounds like some kind of verse, like a short poem. pretty sure it's all for comedic effect, can't say i know the context in depth of what you're translating though.
Discord: 730#8471