News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Laplace's Demon v2.00  (Read 6600 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Translations: Laplace's Demon v2.00
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 04:58:57 am »
The funny thing is that I wouldn't have known this reference if not for the Ah! My Goddess manga, which mentions the concept of Laplace's demon in passing in one of the early chapters.

Anyway, I've also seen the ROM labelled as "Diable de Laplace", way back when. I think GoodSNES used this name at the time when the old patch was released. I have to wonder why they used the French title. It doesn't appear on any of the original packaging from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:05:56 am by mziab »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 09:41:57 am »
Anyway, I've also seen the ROM labelled as "Diable de Laplace", way back when. I think GoodSNES used this name at the time when the old patch was released. I have to wonder why they used the French title. It doesn't appear on any of the original packaging from what I've seen.

It's the ROM name in the unpatched game's internal cartridge header.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 03:04:08 pm »
Any way, I forgot to say, solid hack and translation.  I am pretty far into this and it is not a typical rpg at all. Not just the setting and time period, but just in general.  I think I have done most of floor 3 in the castle (still need to get back to that boat guy though).  This game feels rushed and I think it could have been so much more than what it is.  I mean what is the deal with the dancing couples, I think, on floor 2?

Levels take forever to get, I am on level 6, maybe 3000 exp away from level 7 so I assume the max level is not much.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 07:07:41 pm »
Any way, I forgot to say, solid hack and translation.  I am pretty far into this and it is not a typical rpg at all. Not just the setting and time period, but just in general.  I think I have done most of floor 3 in the castle (still need to get back to that boat guy though).  This game feels rushed and I think it could have been so much more than what it is.  I mean what is the deal with the dancing couples, I think, on floor 2?

Levels take forever to get, I am on level 6, maybe 3000 exp away from level 7 so I assume the max level is not much.

Exactly. In fact, 10 is the maximum level the characters can reach. About the dancers room, did it happen to you that one of the couples, after talking to them, immediately starts moving to the lower right corner until it leaves the screen? It happened to me, and it was hilarious  :laugh: :laugh:

Tallgeese

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 07:39:20 pm »
Quick bug:

Spoiler:
When you attempt to view the item "Cassandra's Bracelet" in battle, the window border becomes overwritten with the description text of said item until the next battle.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:47 am »
Exactly. In fact, 10 is the maximum level the characters can reach. About the dancers room, did it happen to you that one of the couples, after talking to them, immediately starts moving to the lower right corner until it leaves the screen? It happened to me, and it was hilarious  :laugh: :laugh:

No, I did not see that!  I actually beat the game a few hours after making my last post and the save file is really far into the game.  Not sure if I could get back to floor 2 from where my last save is and see that as there are tons of guards all around the castle and it seemed some areas of the castle were closed off.

I feel like this game had a ton of unrealized potential.  Would love to see someone hack the game more and clean up some of the, what seems like, unfinished side quests and quests that seems to have dead ends (what was the deal with some of those maniacs?) or the waterfall, etc. and maybe even add an extra floor.  I guess that would be very hard and very unlikely however but I could imagine if there was a big enough fan they could really polish this game up quite a bit (the original programmer quirks I mean as the translation is very polished).

Any way, again, thanks for the solid translation, for sure it stood out!  My only advice is some of the item names were a little confusing and descriptions did not always help to figure out what they were good for.  Also, maybe it was just the party members I had but never had anyone who could use the silver bullets that cost 6 USD each.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:23:46 am by travel27 »

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:32 am »
Also, maybe it was just the party members I had but never had anyone who could use the silver bullets that cost 6 USD each.
Use it like an item by any character that has a gun.

Sliver X

• Master of Ceremonies
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2018, 06:38:36 pm »
Very nice. I don't suppose something like this will ever be done for Chaos World? :p

exodous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 12:16:17 am »
When the reporter said 'a damn shame' I kinda rolled my eyes, I hope this isn't one of those patches that has people casually swearing.  One translation I played used the f-bomb over and over again and I couldn't stop laughing as it was not called for.

Anyway, love this genera, Lovecraft, and the music and graphics fit very nicely, so far a very well made game and I haven't noticed any flaws in the translation.  You did a really good job!  Thanx for the effort, not enough retro horror games in English!

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »
Quick bug:

Spoiler:
When you attempt to view the item "Cassandra's Bracelet" in battle, the window border becomes overwritten with the description text of said item until the next battle.

This was noted in the readme. If you check outside of battle, you should see an item in your list labeled "Nothing" in red. I've got no idea how this gets into your inventory and I suspect it's a problem with the original game.

When the reporter said 'a damn shame' I kinda rolled my eyes, I hope this isn't one of those patches that has people casually swearing.  One translation I played used the f-bomb over and over again and I couldn't stop laughing as it was not called for.

No, I moved past that sort of thing well over a decade ago.

Very nice. I don't suppose something like this will ever be done for Chaos World? :p

You never know! :)

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:35 pm »
Spoiler:
Walkthrough of game doesn't mention how to get the Sword out of the Ice: Use a Vial of Holy Oil on the statue of a Fiery Haired man to be able to melt it (You get the Psy Condenser item when you ignite the torch of the statue). The statue is directly below the room where the sword is in

For those who are confused about how much EXP it requires to get to 10 for a skill, you need a whopping 9,000 EXP.
Spoiler:
The Demon Door in the manor or the Dread Knight are the easiest ways to get EXP and money via photos but the EXP in general is divided between party members; Dread Knight can be found after getting the Compass and Bow needed to manually control the ship in the castle. You can fight it over and over again until you use the Silver Crucifix on it which you get from the Catoblepas in the lower level of the castle.

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2018, 01:26:29 am »
Of course I know about Pierre-Simon Laplace's theory, but I still think that correct English name for this game is Demon of Laplace.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:29 am »
Of course I know about Pierre-Simon Laplace's theory, but I still think that correct English name for this game is Demon of Laplace.

Any particular reason? Using the Saxon genitive with names of people makes the most sense grammatically and is not without precedent in this context (see: Occam's Razor, Sturgeon's Law etc.). "Demon of Laplace" makes it sounds as though "Laplace" was a place. Is it just your preference because that's what the project was initially called?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:26:01 am by mziab »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:13 am »
Oh, I so used to "Dilettante" class. It's works much better on game's atmosphere than "Dabbler", especially for non-native English players.

Any particular reason? Using the Saxon genitive with names of people makes the most sense grammatically and is not without precedent in this context (see: Occam's Razor, Sturgeon's Law etc.). "Demon of Laplace" makes it sounds as though "Laplace" was a place. Is it just your preference because that's what the project was initially called?
Maybe it's personal, I don't sure. I prefer when game name starts from "Laplace", no "Demon" - same as in Japanese and Russian. I'm not a native speaker, so...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:24:19 am by Griever_GF »

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 02:50:21 am »
"Demon of Laplace" makes it sounds as though "Laplace" was a place.

but it's a Laplace  :laugh:
In PSP we trust.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:23 am »
but it's a Laplace  :laugh:

All I can say to this is "le sigh" :P

I prefer when game name starts from "Laplace", no "Demon" - same as in Japanese and Russian. I'm not a native speaker, so...

But the new, correct title does start with Laplace, same as the Japanese one coincidentally. Moreover, just a few posts back you mentioned you prefer "Demon of Laplace" as the title.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:59:25 am by mziab »

Griever_GF

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:20 am »
But the new, correct title does start with Laplace, same as the Japanese one coincidentally. Moreover, just a few posts back you mentioned you prefer "Demon of Laplace" as the title.
Oh, my mistake, I was totally confused. I mean I prefer "Demon of Laplace" (same as "Демон Лапласа" in Russian), not "Laplace's Demon". Well, anyway, I guess it's useless to discuss, no one will change the title back.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2018, 09:03:52 pm »
IMO "Demon of Laplace" sounds better than "Laplace's Demon". Maybe because the former is easier to pronounce than the latter with the s's, (like Lah-plah-ses Dee-mon)