News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GameCube .cbd .chd  (Read 773 times)

Magnymbus

• View Profile
GameCube .cbd .chd
« on: September 06, 2018, 11:04:27 pm »
While trying to extract a single sound effect from StarFox Assault, I ran into the issue of not being able to open the file format of what I know to the be the sound effect files, as they have these extensions
     .c3d (Which I read has to do with 3d audio)
     .chd (Which seems to be some kind of index) and
     .cbd (which seems to contain all of the actual sound data).
While looking around on the internet, I ran in to a post from here mentioning that .cbd files can contain more than one sound file, so I opened the files in a hex editor to find starting or ending markers.
I found the string (where "."="[null]")"................|ΓΏ..:." is always at the end of every file, so I search for that in a few files, and sure enough, it happens 3-5 times in each file I open.
So I cut out the data inbetween those markers, only including that string at the end, save that to a new file, and tried importing it into Audacity, which gave me a format error, so I tried raw import, trying a bunch of different settings, and still no dice :(.
I try running that file through vgmstream, no dice, so I try opening it in ModPlug, still no dice >:(.
Google searches have reached a dead end  :banghead: , so I'm finally reaching out to the community where my journey began to see if anyone here seems to know anything that might help me in my quest to uncover the nature of the .cbd file format.

Best regards,

Magnymbus

:cookie: