News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Might and Magic Restoration  (Read 17149 times)

Special

• View Profile
Re: Might and Magic Restoration
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 05:10:44 am »
Super stoked for this, everything from this thread looks fantastic. Hurry up Queue!

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2020, 11:25:29 am »
Also still here and eagerly awaiting this!  I've actually been replaying the PC original this last week on a whim.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2020, 07:27:33 pm »
The hack is now available.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5412/

Popful

• View Profile
    • Paphvul's Lair
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:51 pm »
Sweet!

So, I already have a save of the game that's in the middle of the first quest (delivering the letter). If I use that save in this hack, will I miss anything significant?

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 06:41:31 am »
Some bug reports from my first night of playing:

The name of the sorcerer's first level-2 spell, "ELCTRC", is misaligned in the menu so that the selection arrow overlaps the 'E'.  This is just a visual bug, the spell seems to work fine.

One of the messages in the Sorpigal caverns appears malformed (the one at X13 Y3) - it comes up as follows:
l:
Apperances can be
deceptive. Doors are
not the only way in.

(there's also a typo in 'appearances' but it looks like the beginning of the message is cut off)
I'm guessing (given what happened in A-1 later) that this is a broken pointer.

A couple Sorpigal typos:
On the relief at X0 Y0 - "You must seek the wizard Ranalou. He lives east caves of Korin Bluffs." (looks like a word is missing)
Tavern rumor - "There's a tree called Goldenbaum in woods north." (looks like there's a 'the' and/or 'to the' missing)

In C-1:
At the Goldenbaum at X7 Y7 - the message overruns the text box, "In the center of the forest is a shiny gol" is all that can be read.

In A-1:
The message pointer for the Endurance boost at X12 Y1 is horribly broken (but the stat boost still works) - it prints a fragment from the message that's supposed to display when you speak to Percella the Druid. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:50:04 pm by Reiska »

A.W. Laris Borromeo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2020, 08:43:21 am »
When running the game in MESEN, in the intro there are garbled graphics in the top. Nice hack by the way and I remember playing the original PC MM1 though, so this hack could get me back.
I believe the morning sun, always gonna shine again.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2020, 03:38:13 pm »
Sweet!

So, I already have a save of the game that's in the middle of the first quest (delivering the letter). If I use that save in this hack, will I miss anything significant?
I think you're fine, everything should work up to Goldenbaum.

Some bug reports from my first night of playing:

The name of the sorcerer's first level-2 spell, "ELCTRC", is misaligned in the menu so that the selection arrow overlaps the 'E'.  This is just a visual bug, the spell seems to work fine.

One of the messages in the Sorpigal caverns appears malformed (the one at X13 Y3) - it comes up as follows:
l:
Apperances can be
deceptive. Doors are
not the only way in.

(there's also a typo in 'appearances' but it looks like the beginning of the message is cut off)
I'm guessing (given what happened in A-1 later) that this is a broken pointer.

A couple Sorpigal typos:
On the relief at X0 Y0 - "You must seek the wizard Ranalou. He lives east caves of Korin Bluffs." (looks like a word is missing)
Tavern rumor - "There's a tree called Goldenbaum in woods north." (looks like there's a 'the' and/or 'to the' missing)

In C-1:
At the Goldenbaum at X7 Y7 - the message overruns the text box, "In the center of the forest is a shiny gol" is all that can be read.

In A-1:
The message pointer for the Endurance boost at X12 Y1 is horribly broken (but the stat boost still works) - it prints a fragment from the message that's supposed to display when you speak to Percella the Druid. 

Thank you, I'll look into it.
The tavern clue is supposed to be like that. This comes from the lack of space, both in the rom and the text box.

When running the game in MESEN, in the intro there are garbled graphics in the top. Nice hack by the way and I remember playing the original PC MM1 though, so this hack could get me back.

I'll look in to it, I don't know what could be causing it.

Ponch

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2020, 09:17:04 pm »
Been enjoying the patch, good job! Besides what's been said, found this error at X:12 Y:0 in Sorpigal.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2020, 11:32:39 pm »
That looks like another busted pointer that should be the "you're too low level to leave Sorpigal" message, which I didn't check out.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 12:48:41 am »
When running the game in MESEN, in the intro there are garbled graphics in the top.

That's probably because mesen shows first 8 top (and bottom) lines of the screen for ntsc region by default unlike other emulators. It can be changed in video settings.
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

Ponch

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 07:36:06 am »
Any news on the bugs? I hoping for those to get fixed to give it a proper go. Thanks for your work!

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:35 pm »
I've been working on other projects but some of the bugs were fixed.

I've tried it in MESEN, but the intro looks fine. Could you tell me about the rom you used and what version of MESEN was used?
This sounds similar to a problem I encounter when I did the intro.

Also, at X15 Y14 in Sorpigal, there is a sword that's you're suppose to get, but it isn't functioning.

Zandig

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2020, 09:03:45 am »
As for MESEN, it displays some graphical artifacts during the intro on the top of the screen. Confirmed with the latest release version Mesen 0.9.9 and the latest Dev Build 0.9.9.62

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 02:30:24 pm by Zandig »

Popful

• View Profile
    • Paphvul's Lair
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 09:34:13 pm »
As for MESEN, it displays some graphical artifacts during the intro on the top of the screen. Confirmed with the latest release version Mesen 0.9.9 and the latest Dev Build 0.9.9.62

By the looks of it, Mesen is a dead emulator now, so this might be a moot point.

Queue

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2020, 09:43:13 pm »
Quote from: Popful
By the looks of it, Mesen is a dead emulator now, so this might be a moot point.
That doesn't make any sense. Mesen isn't suddenly unusable. Even with Microsoft's terrible modern (Win10) track record for backwards compatibility, Mesen will keep working for the next 10+ years. I don't even care about Linux but it will likely still be a viable choice on Linux for 10+ years as well.

Conversely, if development has stopped, that means it's now a static target and code can be targeted specifically for the final standard build with less fear it will change and waste your effort.

Even if that graphical garbage doesn't show up on real hardware, Mesen's a good enough emulator that figuring out why this ROM hack ends up showing that in Mesen and fixing it (if doing so won't break the appearance on real hardware) would be worthwhile.

Popful

• View Profile
    • Paphvul's Lair
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2020, 01:23:09 am »
That doesn't make any sense. Mesen isn't suddenly unusable. Even with Microsoft's terrible modern (Win10) track record for backwards compatibility, Mesen will keep working for the next 10+ years. I don't even care about Linux but it will likely still be a viable choice on Linux for 10+ years as well.

Conversely, if development has stopped, that means it's now a static target and code can be targeted specifically for the final standard build with less fear it will change and waste your effort.

Even if that graphical garbage doesn't show up on real hardware, Mesen's a good enough emulator that figuring out why this ROM hack ends up showing that in Mesen and fixing it (if doing so won't break the appearance on real hardware) would be worthwhile.

As someone who still uses Kega Fusion 10 years on whenever I need a quick and dirty way to play GG games or games that other emulators won't run, I get your point.

Honestly, if people want to accommodate Mesen specifically, then that's fine by me, though I don't really consider it an issue if it's just one specific emulator that has problems, especially since the NES has new emulators written for it practically daily.