News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Might and Magic Restoration  (Read 2591 times)

Sanedan56

• View Profile
Might and Magic Restoration
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:44:59 pm »
Might and Magic for the NES was a huge improvement over its PC predecessors.
When it was brought over to the US, the game was updated with new features and graphics.
However, much of the original content was censored, removed or changed for whatever reason.
So far, I've restored some of the changes to enemies, the graphics and some of the events.
I've also translated some of the differences to the game script.
I plan on doing other restorations and general touch ups with the text.

Screenshots:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 05:54:14 pm by Sanedan56 »

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Magic Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 04:35:54 pm »
I have a real soft spot for the original PC DOS version, but the NES port seems kind of nice.

How much did they change in it?

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
Generally, they changed many things; for example, the statues in Sorpigal were changed to plaques,
you can't leave Sorpigal until you're level 2, A guild that can change character classes was added,
healing, reviving and removing curses are cheaper, an automap was added, along with differences in the plot.

Also, specifically for the US release, attacks are gained every 4 levels instead of 8 (probably to reflect
Might and Magic 2) various monster names were changed most likely out of censorship or flawed translation,
and battle animations were added/removed.

Also, it seems like running at the beginning of battle works, and your characters appear stronger, but slower
in the US version, because monsters get in attacks before you do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:06:59 pm by Sanedan56 »

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:25:21 pm »
M&M for the NES is awesome in many, many aspects... except when it comes to AC et Agility calculations. AS far as I know, neither of those really important stats does anything. I mean, you can get your characters bare naked and ennemies (seems to) have the same hit% and damage rate that if you had the best armors in the game. Ah, and those locusts that 1-shot you non stop until Game Over because the game makes some really weird choice when it comes to turn orders (which does not happens in the PC version).

Can anyone check if something's wrong with those two stats ?

Screen looks really nice by they way  :thumbsup: It feels like what it should have been from the beggining !
La forĂȘt... en pleine Beauce

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 12:16:42 pm »
Really? I've played both and it seems that they both work well enough. Your characters seem slower in the
US version as in the Japanese version, characters almost always go first. After speeding up your characters,
turn order seems to make more sense. As for AC, it works fine for me. I've hacked my AC to the max and
monsters rarely hit me.
Still, it may be worth looking how the calculations work.

xorxif

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:09:33 pm »
Well I started to play through this for a while and found the interface VERY clumsy and sluggish. I liked the gameplay but would love it if the gameplay could be closer to the computer versions in terms of interface speed and such.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »
I plan on restoring the menu so you don't have rest to equip, like how it originally was.
As for the game speed, I plan on defaulting it to fast.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:38:32 pm »
I've made some progress on the game.
Here are some screenshots:

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »
I've progressed on the game some more.
Here are some images:

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 07:26:52 am »
Thought I should let you know, one of your screenshots says  "A new power power awakens in you"

Looking good, though!  NES would be the definitive version of M&M1 if not for that damn locust plague bug.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »
Thank you for pointing that out! I can't believe I just noticed this just now.

As for the Locust Plague, I noticed something weird about the way turns work.
If an enemy knocks out one of your party, they get an extra turn to attack,
allowing the enemies take potshots at your party. That's probably why they
attack you near infinite amount of times. Speed is still a factor to turn
order, but with the exception with Sonja, who is slower from everyone by one point,
character stats are identical to the Japanese version.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 06:20:07 pm »
I'd noticed that about the turn order, yeah.  In the case of Locust Plagues they do it infinitely because they inexplicably hit you for 255 damage for some reason, which based on the other versions definitely isn't supposed to happen (in fact, they do minimal damage).

I somewhat suspect there's an underflow happening in the damage formula with them (on PC, they have 10 attacks, and each attack that hits always does exactly 1 damage, never more or less).

Grandpaf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:01:45 am »
According to this website (http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/mightmagicoddities.html ) some changes to formulas has been made when the game was translated and released in America. Maybe some untested changes just broke things when it comes to some calculations in battle mode. Does the japanese release contain the locust-thing ?

Might check that when I'll be at home next week.... 
La forĂȘt... en pleine Beauce

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 10:03:59 am »
The Japanese version functions the as the other versions do, exactly 1 damage per attack.
I believe this is an underflow, when I lowered the Locust Plague's attack amount
they did at least 99 damage, but when I changed their attack stat to 2,
they did 2 damage per attack instead of 255.
This is not an error with the enemy stats, as they are essentialy the same
in both versions, with sprites being the difference.

Also, I found something interesting about Lord Kilburn.
In the Japanese version of the game, he's having a nightmare.
When the event was being edited, they must have forgotten to remove
the portrait.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 03:48:19 pm »
According to this website (http://www.flyingomelette.com/oddities/mightmagicoddities.html ) some changes to formulas has been made when the game was translated and released in America. Maybe some untested changes just broke things when it comes to some calculations in battle mode. Does the japanese release contain the locust-thing ?

Might check that when I'll be at home next week....

Interesting, I bet that's the cause.

Incidentally, regarding the link: I know that "high court sentence" text is used in the computer versions (for exactly the thing they suggest it's meant for), but I don't know if that event is activated in the NES version or not as I've never tried stealing the Erliquin treasures in it.  "Some monsters are destroyed" is used in the computer versions for when you cast Turn Undead.

IIRC the 10 Foot Pole is used for exactly one map event in the swamp, but it's been a long time.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 04:39:34 pm »
The messages are actually used in both the Nes and Japanese versions.
In the case of the high court sentence, in the FC version, there's some extra dialogue.
Speaking of text, the "You must bring the experimental substance! Begone!" message is used in P-Peak B2.
The Japanese version funnily enough basically says the same thing as the computer versions.
I'm not sure, but I think the experimental substance is either Thunderanium or Unobtainium.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
I finally fixed the locust plague bug.
I'm not sure of all the details, but I know for sure it's not caused by an underflow.
I failed to mention that when I lowered the amount of attacks to 1, the damage done would range from survivable to near 255 damage.
Apparently, the game loads random values in the accumulator only if the damage amount only equals 1.
Fixing the bug wasn't particularly easy, because of the lack of free space in the bank.
All that's left is to fix a side effect of the bug that causes your attacks to cause 1 damage if your fighting the locust plague.
Oh, and the "experimental substance" is Thunderanium.

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 02:28:26 pm »
I've now finished restoring Sorpigal's events.
Interestingly, there's an unused event that looks like an early version of Sheltem's reveal. There's also an event that only happens in the Japanese version of the game that involves a sword.
I have a text file that I would like help translating, but haven't finished it yet because of some computer problems.