Thank you for the explanation as always @abw. I am in the constant process of trying to learn how these things actually work so I can bother you.... slightly less. With your update to insert script for name lists, I have another question. For this section:
// monster list part 1, line 1 goes here
// monster list part 2, line 1 goes here
// monster list part 1, line 2 goes here
// monster list part 2, line 2 goes here
The addresses you listed are all in a blank data area, but are very close together which means that I cant actually start the lists at that location. Am I supposed to replace these addresses in the insert script with any addresses that I use for the new monster list that I write into the hex editor? Do I have to adjust anything else in the insert script to correspond to these?
On second thought, is your intention that I actually write these monster lists directly into the insert script? That would be a new way of handling this. I'd love to see an example of what the list formatting would look like for the insert script.
Abrupt shift in topic:
Ok, so my massive overhaul of Dragon Quest: Delocalized Edition is complete for now. I've just submitted for publication (with the version date 1/20/18
) but I already uploaded the patch to the first post of this thread. If anyone has been waiting to give it a try, now is the time. If anyone tried my hack and wasn't all that impressed with the writing, please try it again. The script is probably around 20 percent larger now, better written, and much more faithful to the Japanese version. Every single line was rewritten with zero adherence to the US localization this time. No compromises were made due to space. My friend Sparrow Dearden who has done paid translation work from Japanese to English has become my steadfast collaborator in translation and writing. Masafumi Sato was also very helpful as our native Japanese speaker to consult with. I started this project to redo the DQ1 script several weeks ago to bring it up to par with our work for DQ2 but I feel like we may have succeeded it. Please provide any feedback on errors or issues. The text gets rewritten as I do a full playthrough so I can have the best feel for what's going on in the game and test the changes on screen. That being said, I'm sure there is a small error or two that I overlooked.
I did update some minor things with graphics, including making the black dragon sprite better fit against the D in the title screen. (you may want to borrow this minor edit Choppasmith) I've also eradicated those alien background tiles mentioned above and touched up several pixels with the 4 direction hero sprite.
Now to move on to updating some things with DQ2. No rewrite needed; only some continuity fixes based on my new edition of DQ1. I am super excited about doing away with my item and monster naming compromises per the instructions from abw!