News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Metal Slader Glory NES English Translation Released  (Read 12845 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

Today, August 30th, marks the 27th anniversary for the original Famicom release of Metal Slader Glory. It's also the day we've decided to release the complete translation patch for.

The project began about a decade ago by Pennywise thanks to the help of a kartes. Along the way, Peter Barnard joined the team and translated the script over the course of several months. Years later the script was polished up by Eien ni Hen and then some time later, a grueling round of testing began. After some tweaks, finishing touches etc., the translation is now available to the public.

A big thank you to all those who helped along the way. Couldn't have done it alone!

Lastly, Peter scanned and translated the manual for the game. The plan was to release it with the translation, but it is currently incomplete. The raw scans have all been edited and cleaned up, but about 5 or so pages need to edited into English. If there's any photoshop whiz out there, we'd appreciate the help to finish the manual.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Trickless

• View Profile
    • Japan Adventure Attack!
Re: Translations: Metal Slader Glory NES English Translation Released
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:55:00 am »
Congrats on the release! I know a lot of effort has gone into this one

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:10:14 am »
Oh man, you guys really did end up releasing the patch on Metal Slader's anniversary! Congratulations on the release!

I am super excited to jump into this game and finally be able to understand it after previously stumbling my way through the Japanese version. Thank you guys for all of your hard work!

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:16:21 am »
Congrats on the release. :beer: I'll definitely fire this up and check it out.

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 10:22:08 am »
The patch doesn't want to work. I've tried patching the game with both Beat and Flying IPS, and it says the patch is not intended for the ROM. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Googie

• Keepin' ROM Hacking gangsta since 2003
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:29:21 am »
Congrats on the release, I had this game on me since 2001, when I get back from the dentist I'm gonna try this out. :D
This is most gangsta.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 10:45:02 am »
The patch doesn't want to work. I've tried patching the game with both Beat and Flying IPS, and it says the patch is not intended for the ROM. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

It sounds like your ROM doesn't match the match the base ROM I used for the patch. I did just patch the no-intro ROM  and it works fine.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 10:47:11 am »

Probably a header issue. My ROM from NoIntro 20170618 has a different CRC32 for the whole file (68B61C09), but when you chop off the 16-byte header, you get the B4735FAC checksum mentioned in the project page. NES roms in particular are known to have minor differences in their headers, while the actual data stays the same. So for what it's worth, it seems Pennywise used a ROM with a different header as a base. But a wrong dump can be easily fixed with a hexeditor. We just need to know what the expected header is.

The header in mine looks like this:
Code: [Select]
4E 45 53 1A 20 40 53 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
What's it like in your base ROM, Pennywise?

skyrunner14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:43 am »
Thanks guys, I figured it out. I used Beat, and for some reason, even though I got a "ROM has not been patched correctly" message, the ROM actually did patch correctly? I dunno, I'm just glad I got it working.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 11:02:54 am »
That last byte is a 52 on my ROM.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 11:13:28 am »
Yeah, that did it. Thanks. According to this, my dump has the VS Unisystem bit set for some reason. Ironically, IPS would've worked without a hitch in this particular instance.

Anyway, congrats on the release. The game has always intrigued me ever since I learned about the director's cut version being the last official game ever released for the Super Famicom. Now I can see what all the hubbub was about, thanks :)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 11:15:23 am »
OH MY GOD I've waited for this for such a long time !
One of the few games actually using the MMC5.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 11:22:31 am »
Yeah, that did it. Thanks. According to this, my dump has the VS Unisystem bit set for some reason. Ironically, IPS would've worked without a hitch in this particular instance.

Anyway, congrats on the release. The game has always intrigued me ever since I learned about the director's cut version being the last official game ever released for the Super Famicom. Now I can see what all the hubbub was about, thanks :)

I typically don't do IPS patches when I expand the ROM due to the way the NES is setup. One of these days I'll start doing xdelta patches as well.

It really is a great game though. One of the greatest NES games ever in my opinion.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 11:34:20 am »
Congrats on the release! Really great to see this one finished. I can only imagine how much effort was needed to get it up to snuff. Even judging just by the testing process, it was no mean amount.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 11:43:25 am »
As far as Photoshop wizards are concerned, you might want to contact Cargodin who did some amazing work on the Tengai Makyou Zero manual among other things. That's the first person who came to mind when I read your request.

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 12:00:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks for this release.

I might be wrong, but i'm almost sure i saw an announcement for 2020 on this game weeks ago.  i checked again and it says 30 august 2018. Is this a surprise release or the Mandela effect?

Anyways, thanks again

Regards

nesautist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 01:00:53 pm »
I just want to say thank you so much! I've been waiting a lifetime for this day. You rock!

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »
Oh man, you guys really did end up releasing the patch on Metal Slader's anniversary! Congratulations on the release!

I am super excited to jump into this game and finally be able to understand it after previously stumbling my way through the Japanese version. Thank you guys for all of your hard work!

Pennywise, you trickster! ;D I was mentally prepared to wait 16 months to play the game, too! Thanks for breaking all expectations and making this patch :3

EDIT: I noticed in the readme that you mentioned kartes made a starter pack for the Director's Cut version of the game. Do you have any plans to adapt your translation to the SFC game?

Also

Cargodin who did some amazing work on the Tengai Makyou Zero manual

Where can I find that manual and/or any of his other works?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:38:33 pm by werewolfslayr925 »
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
Where can I find that manual and/or any of his other works?

The manual is available from the patch listing. https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3243/

SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • DBWBP
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »
I’m pretty handy around photoshop, I could probably do the work for the manual. I just don’t want to start working on it and suddenly someone else was working on it at the same time and end up wasting my effort. Its not the most impressive work but the only thing I did that is available quickly online is a label for Energy Breaker that you can get on my site at http://dbwbp.com/index.php/9-misc/30-energy-breaker-custom-english-snes-cart-label.