News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy IV: Born of a Dragon  (Read 8061 times)

MGE

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Born of a Dragon
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 10:00:41 am »
I know this is an old thread, but like others, this hack also flew under my radar, but it's well worth the try. The difficulty balance is pretty good, and each level up or equipment change gives just enough oomph to feel significant. If the author is still around, any updates in the last few months?

I'd love for the revamped equipment screen patch to work with this hack, but so far it causes a hard crash at startup :(

https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&action=images&id=4378&imageid=3&orig=0

Hey, yep I'm still around.   :D

I've just become super busy with real life (got married, had a kid, bought a house).

This project is not dead.  In fact, you may have already guessed that since I'm reading my messages here, I'm going to finally finish it up soon.  I've got a free weekend in a few weeks, I'll try to have it done before Spring 2020.  I have a loooooong "to do" list for this hack, which I'll post shortly, and even the to-do list isn't done.

Incidentally, this is the latest version of Born of a Dragon:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=85896753076973721270&t=8589675307697372127009464
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:06:04 am by MGE »

Celice

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy IV: Born of a Dragon
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2020, 10:53:08 pm »
Thanks for sharing the latest version, and congrats on all the big life events!

I just finished the Tower of Zot and I'm still having a blast with the game. Honestly this might be the best version of FFIV I've tried, and there's a lot of versions out there lol. The difficulty seems to have dropped off a little once I hit Troia, but that could be because I ransacked Eblan and got the Moonbeam and Earth weapons.

I love how many items are now useful as their own usable spells. I think Moonbeam and Earth might be a little too overpowered for now (I've been spamming them basically non-stop without consequence). Maybe some enemies need more magic-based counters to shut down that tactic from being used every battle?

It's been harsh with both Rosa and Tellah being primary spell healers and having such low Agility. Seems to take forever for their turns to come up, even after casting Slow on the enemy or boss. Potions are still a full-heal for me so it's not the worst thing to deal with but it can make squeezing in some tactical buffs or debuffs pretty difficult early in the battle.

Overall though I'm super happy with your work and ideas of balance so far.