Good morning! UPDATED 7/30/19 : You can find the patch to play the game here:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=26548398523708524102 This is for use with Final Fantasy II (U) (V1.1).smc
Over the past year I've been tinkering with an "extreme" difficulty hack for FF4, which eventually became known as Born of a Dragon.
Born of a Dragon is primarily a difficulty hack, set to what I would consider the sweet spot, which is 4 out of 5 difficulty stars. My direction was to make the game hard without committing any of the "big three" difficulty sins. Namely, not a grind fest, not requiring omniscient knowledge of secret passageways with no hints as to their location, and no ridiculous luck required.
What the hack shaped up to be was extremely fun and a thinking person's version of FF4.
- EXTREME difficulty! You'll really have to use your head to figure out how to beat many bosses.
- A totally reworked leveling system!
- Multiple new spells for many characters!
- A totally reworked weapon/armor system!
- Multiple new side quests for powerful weapons and summons at the end game!
- Lots of new secrets!If you are looking for less a brand new game, but a faithful re-balancing with a few pieces of additional content, then this is the hack for you.If you're looking for a very difficult FF4 experience that is well balanced without being gimmicky, then this is the hack for you.
None of the primary plot has been altered. Anyone in the game who originally spoke about plot related topics has been left intact. However, many of the NPCs who said irrelevant stuff now have valuable tips and clues regarding weapons, secrets and side quests.
The bosses are the "bottlenecks" of the game. Leveling up to bosses is intended to make you powerful enough to beat those bosses, however if you try to level past that intended "window", you'll find leveling becomes a bit stagnant. Bosses can be strategy checks, gear checks, puzzles, combinations of all three, etc.
This is a very controversial change. While inside dungeons in FF4:BoaD, you are not able to run whatsoever. Why? First, it makes little sense that in a closed, confined, dark space chock full of monsters, you could just run the other way and not either run into more monsters or fall off a cliff or something. Secondly, it resolves a ton of issues with balancing and pacing that the original game suffered from, due to it's lenient run mechanic. Eblan, Cave Magnes, Sealed Cave, Feymarch (Land of Summoned Monsters) and Sylph Cave can all be tuned to a specific level window, whereas previously, one could simply chain-run through, grabbing treasures. I was so pleased with the results, that I made all dungeons in the game like this. You'll find yourself having to ration items more, look for save points and plan your battles and steps accordingly. Finally, it ensures that all the new AI and scripting done to dungeon monsters gets seen and not simply run through and skipped. If you absolutely hate this mechanic, I can understand, but I urge you to give it a try.
This release is complete all the way to the end of the game, but there are several tiny bugs which I'm working on fixing. I'd also like to resolve any of the original vanilla issues, like critical hit rates bugging out or elemental resistances. Please stay tuned for 1.0
SCREENSHOTS:LOOKING FOR BETA TESTERS!
Please try out the game and let me know what you think.
August 29, 2018, 04:44:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
TO DO LIST
- Make MP restoration a different color than green, preferably purple?
- Find a way to remove all equipment from a character who is leaving party into the Fat Chocobo
- Make Sleep status be removed on physical hit
- Add ATB bars (I know there is a utility that does this already, but it doesn't do only that, and some other things it does are undesirable for this hack)
- Fix any remaining Vanilla bugs (Immune/4x bug, Long Range bug)
- Fix intermittent bug where Kainazzo will leave water form due to any damage rather than only Lit damage
- Some dancers, though they are present in NPC list, are missing (Troia Dancer in Troia Cafe)
- Rebalance moon monsters/bosses to be better/easier
- Change appearance of some spells to be slightly different than other used spells
- Rebalance in general
- Add more references in-game to BOAD specific mechanics
August 29, 2018, 10:02:29 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
FF4 BOAD 1.01
- Applied chilyfeez's User Options, Grimoire LD's ImmuneFix and Dragoon ZERO's LongRange bug fix. Will change the use of Whistle and "Sylkis" (Carrot).
August 30, 2018, 09:49:09 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Some typo fixes, added some dialogue pointers to new command functions, i.e., Pray, Sing, Mix, etc.http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=89078943772040048659
August 31, 2018, 04:43:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Fixed an issue where Troia dancers were disappearing
- Made Dance collection quest make more sense, allude to reward
- Adjusted difficulty of Kainazzo
- Yang's claws no longer do massive, huge amounts of damage (racial bonus removed)
- Fixed various typos
- Credited chillyfeez and included instructions on how to use User Options
September 01, 2018, 11:05:01 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Reduced difficulty of Golbez in DC by removing instant death touch, slowing him down a bit
September 05, 2018, 08:40:15 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
- Dark Elf script was disrupted by Spectre script. Fixed Dark Elf, will fix Spectre once I get that far in bug test play.
- Some items renamed for easier understanding of elemental properties.
- Adjusted difficulty of some Sylph Cave monsters, still may need more buffing
- Adjusted difficulty of some Sealed Cave monsters
Pugs and Bomb summon have been tested for being overpowered, and seem okay. Pugs should never work on bosses... I tested a few, and it doesn't seem to, but I'm never quite sure with FF4kster. Some things are hard coded with no indication.
I've been watching some videos of Final Fantasy Free Enterprise randomizer, and there are a bunch of neato features built into that. I'm going to reach out to the developers and see if they'd be willing to share some of the code, especially the ability to discard treasure items upon opening chests and unequipping characters as they leave the party.