News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shining Force save state editing?  (Read 1999 times)

etony33

• View Profile
Shining Force save state editing?
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:54:31 pm »
Hello all.

I've been playing an old favorite, Shining Force, using AndroGens. I realized that I messed up by not obtaining the Kutui Huku before the end of Chapter 3. No problem, I thought, I'll just send the .sav to my computer and hack it into my inventory.

Well...that didn't work out so well. Using the information provided on Gamefaqs, I had no luck in finding Anri's inventory, either by going to the offset given or by searching for the individual hex values of the items in her inventory.

I've had a little bit of experience with this sort of thing, but not all that much, and the methods I have tried haven't worked out, unfortunately. Is there anything I can do?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Shining Force save state editing?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:14:21 pm »
Don't know what guide/approach the gamefaqs guide was using or if you were interpreting cheats into a savestate edit (cheats edit memory, savestates are a copy of memory). I also have to note that some of these emulators try compressing savestates, and naturally they can do things in whatever order or amount of padding they like so the savestate format might not be the same as the guide's one (which are typically written for PC emulators). I assume also you are using the same region game and same version (don't know if there was a bugfix/v1.1 sort of thing here).

In any case I would probably find the inventory location; per character inventory is slightly odd for a game of this age but doable enough, and if the guide says it is the case then I will not doubt it at this point. Simple start would be alter the inventory contents in game* (don't know if potions, or was it herbs, stack) and find the location that way rather than more passive searching approaches you describe. From there you can adapt things for the items you want.

*standard cheat finding protocol of minimal changes other than the thing you are looking to edit. Maybe mix it up by adding in a few rounds of "did not change" when you did not change.

It has been noted that while things change between regions, versions and such it does not tend to change that much and will instead mostly be a shift or some extra padding. More than enough to break a "go here, change this" guide or tool but simple enough for someone with only basic maths skills to work around.

etony33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:16 pm »
For what it's worth, two save states, one taken almost right after another (the only thing I did was unequip a single character) had a TON of differences.

Here is what I was using. The items are listed multiple times here, and I'm not really sure why.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/563340-shining-force/faqs/7586

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 12:06:11 am »
Send the .sav to your PC, use the shining force editor, save it after modifying it, send the modified .sav to your phone:

https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15145
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:18:29 am by reyvgm »