Hi ho romhaxor people,EDIT: most recent build (24.11.2018) here: https://dev9.blacklabel-translations.com/patch/nes/shatter_man_24112018.zip
as I already threw a screenshot or 2 of my little shatterhand HD project into the screenshots thread, I figured it's about time for a not so serious thread about the thing itself.
I will begin by stating that only the Intro stage is done (stage A) and this project will go for a pause now, as I have some previously engaged business with Zill O'll infinite plus' english translation to attend to before I continue this one.
that said, here's what's done:
- first picture of the opening cutscene
- title screen
- 100% of stage A graphics
- 100% of main char textures for both colors of his jacket (the stupid flickering effect of the red jacket has been removed)
- all stage objects except the coin texture
- HUD (very minor recolors /edits)
- pause screen
in addition little things have been done that are not present on the vanilla game despite technically being present there,
such as animating the used power and health platforms. (the non-used platforms have a 4-frame animation, which stays looping the same sprite 4 times once the platform is used, i just gave it 4 different ones.)
the title screen also says "SHATTER MAN" isntead of SHATTERHAND. this is an optional IPS patch i made because i just had to, following a conversation with a friend who called Hermann the "shatter man"
what is not done:
- rest of the opening cutscene
- scroreboard screen
- stage select screen
- stages B, C, D, E, F and the final stage (G?)
- robot helpers
- robot suit mode
- explosion / hit effects
- various screen transition effects
- enemies that do not appear in stage A
What is planned:
- finish up all not done graphics
- bugfix issues present on vanilla game (2 monsters on the intro stage have glitched sprites, im expecting to find more.)
- maybe alternative things like making Hermann's jacket black/brown instead of looking like he's marty McFly from BTTF movies lol
- dunno, suggest things !
here's a pile of screenshots
here's a little collage of the sprite work on enemies so far.
I will polish ot up a tiny bit more and then release the pack with the aforementioned done for testing.
also, here's a (crappy quality) video of me attempting to fail my way through the stage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCrouUzZdck
for those wishing to restore the title screen to "SHATTERHAND" instead of "SHATTER MAN"
open the hires.txt and comment out the following 5 lines by adding a # to the beginning of the lines: