News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical] Need help on some of my hacks.  (Read 2328 times)

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: [Technical] Need help on some of my hacks.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 04:53:59 am »
I tested the patch, it's a little screwy, here's what it did:

Everyone dies in one hit.
The players uses the male enemy's death screams.

So those are two things that need to be fixed.

I was also wondering if there's a way to make the thud sound effect play anytime a person gets knocked down to the floor by a attack instead of being applied to just the throw attacks, this way it will make it more like how the sound effect was used in SOR3.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:18:30 am by SCD »

emerilfryer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 09:49:04 pm »
Multiple bugfixes
- normal damage
- girl, boy death clips
- knockback direction

https://github.com/emerilfryer1/RetroArch/raw/sandbox/.abc/sor2_usa_death_alpha2.ips

I did get a thud effect on normal melee hits (non-death). But it causes the screen to shake every time it's played. Which is incorrect behavior for punches, kicks, and some  other basic attacks based on SOR3.

The other hard part would get it to play on a melee death. Some flags would have to be monitored to avoid duplicate playbacks.

I think it could be possible but someone would have to spend some time researching and getting creative with the engine.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 03:32:44 am »
I checked out the patch, everything is working better.

But I did noticed the thud effect for some of the normal attacks causes the screen to shake, you can change that part back to normal.

If it's going to be too hard to make the thud effect behave more like the one from SOR3, you don't have to work on it if you don't want to, it's no big deal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:41:31 am by SCD »

emerilfryer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 11:26:45 am »
https://github.com/emerilfryer1/RetroArch/raw/sandbox/.abc/sor2_usa_death_alpha3.ips
- remove non-throw thud effect

note: I think it should be left as an open ad because sor3 thud is doable imo. There is a throw damage flag that could ideally be used to not make the screen shake. Haven't looked into this further.

https://github.com/emerilfryer1/RetroArch/raw/sandbox/.abc/mmz4_vocals_opening.ips
- japan vocals for usa opening (and maybe europe?)

Spoiler:
Short story: usa song table at 813890c. Song 157 = opening. USA has 4 midi channels; Japan uses 6 midi. Add 2 missing ones, fix $b2 loop ptr.

#5 placed @ 88a6e20
#6 placed @ 88a6f00

Ending credits uses song #160. But vocals are stored separately somewhere. That will be a long time later unless someone sends no$gba saves at ending sequence (japan, usa).

Thanks. I'll look into your Mario Kart info. Which needs some explaining in case someone ports it for Europe.

Spoiler:
Sunset Wilds (usa, jpn):
829044c = table start
8290530 = shy guys ptr (92c0)
829970c = shy guys data = 829044c + 92c0
- 0000 = 32 byte table
- 0020 = graphics 1000
- 08a8 = graphics 2000

jpn = 13d8 bytes total
usa = 11fc bytes total

So if you copy-paste the entire Japan block to your new (expanded?) rom at say 400000, we must adjust the ptr @ 8290530. 8400000 - 829044c = 16FBB4. Ta-da! New hair-dressed attackers.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:25:48 pm by emerilfryer »

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 03:29:38 am »
I tested the patch, that part is fixed. Alright, I'll put that part on the top of the first page of my help wanted ad.

There is one more thing that needs to be fixed, I noticed it in this patch along with the previous one:

After you defeat a boss, the boss battle music stops playing instead of keep playing, is it okay if you can fix that?

I also tested the patch for MMZ4, it came out great, you did a good job on restoring the original opening track for it.

Alright, let me know what you find about Mario Kart and how are we going to restore the original sprites, because I don't know how to expand a ROM.

emerilfryer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 06:38:00 pm »
Turns out there's tons of free space in Mario Kart GBA. So I just threw the data there and remapped the ptr per above findings. Use on top of RHDN patch.
https://github.com/emerilfryer1/RetroArch/raw/sandbox/.abc/mksc_shyguys.ips

SOR2 - I'll need to check this later later. Confused why this would happen.

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 05:09:22 am »
I tested the patch, it works perfectly, you did a great job on restoring them. Thanks for helping me on this.

Alright, take your time on SOR2.

erecyog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 01:52:12 am »
I've got MMZ3 save files to look into the hanumachine glitch:

https://mega.nz/#!bm5wmAKJ!Ag6yGB8Uyn7tZV4oRvH1YBav9H-dGV5T6dv4arr7UnU

There are 2 battery saves and 2 no$gba savestates in the zip file (1 each for USA and Japan versions).
The battery saves are in the base before mission select.
The 2 savestates are during the boss fight. I weakened the boss to 1 bar of health for easy kill.

I'm a big fan of the MMZ restoration patches, I hope this helps.

emerilfryer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:45 am »
That really helped. Thanks for posting them. Use this on top of mmz3 rhdn patch.
https://github.com/emerilfryer1/RetroArch/raw/sandbox/.abc/mmz3_patch1.ips

Porting error: wrong sprite used. register clobbering.

Note that I no longer need mmz4 saves - I've finished playing both usa and japan. I'll be opening a separate thread regarding mmz4 with an alpha patch, source, vocals and some findings. Needs some retesting first since I've noticed some new things and learned more about sprite drawing.

And maybe after doing the ending vocals, which is puzzling me. Song 160 ch4 matches so maybe they ripped out the voice clips.

edit: Checking soundfont bank. I suppose that's the case. Testing. Works.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:53:16 pm by emerilfryer »