News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: NES Metroid HD Pack  (Read 7658 times)

Aclectico

• View Profile
NES Metroid HD Pack
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:28:12 am »
An HD pack is now available for the NES game, Metroid. This pack replaces graphics, sound effects, and music. It is a hack that builds upon many prior hacks and it uses Metroid mOTHER as a base (available at: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/). Credit should go to the original authors for work done on prior hacks.

The pack includes, but it not limited to, some of the features detailed below. Many of these features are carryover from prior hacks that have previously been developed for Metroid. Items denoted with an asterisk are brand new features that have been created exclusively for the Mesen pack.

•   Increased resolution**
•   Scrolling backgrounds**
•   Updated sound effects and music**
•   File resources for alternate sound and graphics**
•   New title and ending screen**
•   Minimap
•   Animated environments
•   Beam stacking
•   Saving
•   Full health on startup

Players must use a new version of the Mesen emulator that was released on August 5, 2018 (version 0.9.6 is available at: https://www.mesen.ca/#Downloads). Older versions of the Mesen emulator will not work properly.

The README contains details the work performed by each author below that helped make the HD pack possible:
Kya, Sour, dACE, snarfblam, Infinity's End, DemickXII, Psyklax, Maximum Potion, VariaZim, WIP, Exaelart, Riklaionel, elgwen, strugglepoo, Luminist, Jorge Fuentes, and Patricio Herrera.

HD Pack Download: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1NrE7KPXMelKW2JzLn2SC34VA8mvvIg6C

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:54:57 am by Aclectico »

Sinis

• View Profile
Re: NES Metroid HD Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
I've been waiting for someone to do this.  Simply awesome  :beer:
Castlevania ROM Center on Discord
https://discord.gg/eXDzAyg

Discord: Sinis#4332

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:42:27 am »
Holy Crap!  :crazy:

Someone did it!!!!

After seeing Castlevania Redone I just knew there were going to be more projects, Which means the possibilities are endless.

I have always wanted to see the first game as it was shown in the cut scenes in Super Metroid and now it looks like anything is possible!

I mean think about it, Startropics, Zelda, Castlevania II And III, The Final Fantasy Trilogy maybe one day get the FFIII Origins version we got jipped. The Lolo Games, The Mega Man Games. I don't know exactly how this process is done and I am sure it's very time consuming but this is just so awesome!! WOW!  :crazy: :crazy:

Metroid - Rogue Dawn 16 Bit  :crazy:

I can't wait to try this out.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:28:46 am by Sephirous »
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 01:40:41 am »
Just a note on troubleshooting for everyone, the pack must be used with a ROM that has a SHA-1 checksum of ecf39ec5a33e6a6f832f03e8ffc61c5d53f4f90b. If the checksum does not match exactly, the pack will not operate correctly. If you are encountering issues, I would check this first. Happy gaming!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:19:41 am by Aclectico »

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:28:09 am »
Wow! This looks great so far! Can't wait to test it out!

I'll be following this with great interest!

lyonhrt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
Just had to log in to say very impressive pack, love how you've used the advanced features and very polished, kudos to your work.

...makes me wonder if i should work on a new pack (have a few test packs)..or see if my old hdnes super mario is worth updating :huh:

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 12:02:46 pm »
It's good to hear from a fellow Mesen/HDNes pack developer. I'd say go for it. And thanks for the kind words on the Metroid pack. I'm very thankful for the work Sour, KYA, and the other hackers did that helped make this possible. I'd say the final product was a nice group effort.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:08:38 pm »
@Aclectico Gotta hand it to you, this is damn cool! Well done, well done indeed!

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 01:33:58 am »
Well done! :thumbsup:
I only played Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion and never play this one. Time to pick up the controller!

BTW, do you use any tool when working with the HD tiles?

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 07:11:47 am »
The sprites were edited in Photoshop CS6. Other programs used include Audacity, Notepad, Lunar IPS, and the "HD Pack Builder" feature on the Mesen NES Emulator.

August 13, 2018, 12:39:06 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
After a little feedback from the pack's initial release, I am thinking of making some updates and minor changes. One aspect I'd be interested to hear thoughts on is music. I was considering the following replacements:

-Ending theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4OVX8fgwzg (although, I'd have to do some trimming and editing to make it fit).

-Brinstar: I think the track is very nice in the current pack. I also think the author of the YouTube video did a very good job. But, some seem to feel as though it is too far removed from a 16-bit style. Having said that, I haven't found a good alternative yet. There is this, but I'm not sure it's quite right (a bit too cheery): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYelkNUT3HI. I'm open to suggestions.

-Title screen: Again, the track in the current pack is very nice. But, I've heard some say it is too far removed. Do others feel the same way?

-Escape theme: I like the current escape theme in the pack. However, there are some that are very attached to the NES melody. This is a possibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94xTBvgMhZw&t=142s (although, just the first part would be used if a lot of people also like the NES melody)

Of course, all of these considerations would depend on the YouTube authors having no issues with this.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:33:27 pm by Aclectico »

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 07:20:22 pm »
I just finished recording a personal soundtrack, I remastered the Zero Mission Soundtrack and enhanced the already existing sound effects to prevent the sounds from being drowned out.

The music may be GBA Music but it works very nicely. :crazy:
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 07:23:42 pm »
Oh really Sephirous,that sounds cool. :)

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 06:11:28 am »
That sounds interesting. I'll reach out to you with a follow up via messages.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:27 am »
Can't wait to see how Ridley and Kraid look with these new texture pack :^}

vhr2121

• Vincent Hernandez! Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
    • Vincent's Hidden Gaming Place
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 02:04:44 pm »
Man, I tried this HD pack and I LOVED it! Sure there were a few things here and there, but overall this is AWESOME! I'm already making videos of this. Hopefully I can complete it ASAP because it is THAT good.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:04 pm »
I'm really shocked this was even possible for NES games in general, it opens up a lot of possibilities for future NES projects.

Aclectico

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:18:57 am »
Thanks to everyone for the compliments :) I'm happy people seem to be enjoying it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:28:59 am by Aclectico »