News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: So I bought a Nintendo Wii U...  (Read 5489 times)

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
So I bought a Nintendo Wii U...
« on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:43 pm »
I bought the black Wii U, since the biggest hard drive is 32GB, really Nintendo that's all the space you give?

I bought the system cause I wanna play different games, the last Nintendo system I bought was the Game Cube, and that was around 2003. I didn't even know the this system is backwards compatible with Wii games. For now here's the games I have...

I bought the system for $150, which is a decent price. This is where you guys and girls come in, what other games for this system are good? I do plan to buy the Mario Galaxy games next month, on eBay they're brand new $20 each. :)

Thanks everyone.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: So I bought a Nintendo Wii U...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:47 pm »
wind waker hd is very much worth it

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:30:32 pm »
Are you looking for Wii games as well, then?

There's always Smash.  Still decent fun, even if you have no one else to play with.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TRIFORCE89

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:14:54 am »
If you skipped the Wii as well, then the Super Mario Galaxy games (#2 in particular) are a must.

On the Wii U side, Pikmin 3.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 04:35:36 pm »
Definitely give Wonderful 101 a shot, its pure glorious Saturday morning cheese, honestly doesn't control all that well at times but its fun nonetheless once you get the hang of it.

I kinda wanna play my WiiU now, but my sister took it to watch Netflix.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:38:37 pm »
my neighbor lent me his wii u but i never play it partially because the gamepad's left stick is bork so i have to use the pro controller

which is fine for some games like WW HD or Twilight Princess HD but not quite so much for say, Xenoblade X

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:45:17 pm »
I've been wanting to get a Wii U mainly to play Mario Maker, but I'm afraid they will shutdown their servers soon to get these levels, and that would include the virtual console where you can get some games released on mobile platforms. I think the estimated date was supposed to be 2019, where they will most likely re-release the game for the Switch and force everybody to upgrade their systems to continue playing. BotW was also released on this platform, and I'm sure this is a good game despite the hype finally dying down. Not sure I can convince myself to spend $200 or $300 for 2 games though.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »
I've been wanting to get a Wii U mainly to play Mario Maker, but I'm afraid they will shutdown their servers soon to get these levels, and that would include the virtual console where you can get some games released on mobile platforms. I think the estimated date was supposed to be 2019, where they will most likely re-release the game for the Switch and force everybody to upgrade their systems to continue playing. BotW was also released on this platform, and I'm sure this is a good game despite the hype finally dying down. Not sure I can convince myself to spend $200 or $300 for 2 games though.
Well, it does also have a Wii built in and it can do homebrew too via either mode, it can even emulate PS1 to some extent, I will admit that the lack of decent WiiU games is a bit dissapointing to me too, it never really had a chance to build out it's library before Nintendo moved on.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| 2 Mello - after midnight: unaired broadcasts || https://youtu.be/FKqLCJ4mStI

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 02:22:54 pm »
I've been wanting to get a Wii U mainly to play Mario Maker, but I'm afraid they will shutdown their servers soon to get these levels
I'm not sure about the Wii U versions, but there are definitely unofficial homebrew utilities for managing levels on Mario Maker 3DS, so I would expect there will be something available when the official Wii U servers are shut down.  (Hacking a Wii U to run homebrew software is apparently quite straightforward.)

I think the estimated date was supposed to be 2019, where they will most likely re-release the game for the Switch and force everybody to upgrade their systems to continue playing.
I think they're shutting down the old Wii Shop servers in 2019, but at this point those are only useful to re-download games people have already purchased.  I very much doubt they will be shutting down Wii U services so quickly.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:12 pm »
The Wii shop stopped accepting payment, but you can use old wallet funds (and presumably download free content like the Skyward Sword update channel) until 2019.
We don't know when re-downloading, or system transfers to Wii U, are going to end. Nintendo didn't name a date for that stage of the shut down.

Wii U rewards are still offered on My Nintendo. It could be a while before the Wii U shop goes away.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 06:49:07 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions everyone, here's the games I plan to get on eBay.

1. Star Fox Zero
2. Zelda BOTW
3. Wonderful 101
4. Pikmin 3
5. Super Smash Bros. Wii U
6. Yoshi Wooly World
7. Kirby and The Rainbow Curse
8. Bayonetta 2 - with part one included
9. Wind Waker HD

I found Zombi U for eight bucks, so I ordered that. I'm also gonna look into Wind Waker HD, too.

I'll look at the other games you suggested, the kid in me wants more Nintendo games.

I'm also planning to invest in Wii games as well, any suggestions fellas? 

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 09:22:22 pm »
I don't think anyone had anything at all nice to say about Star Fox Zero.  I suppose it must be a unique gameplay experience the likes of which we shall be unlikely to see again – but that's not necessarily a good thing.

Also, while Yoshi's Island for the SNES was a masterpiece of 2D platforming, it's all been thoroughly downhill since then.

The first Bayonetta is on Steam, if that's a consideration.

As for Wii, I can think of a few:
Madworld
No More Heroes 1 & 2
Klonoa
Kirby Epic Yarn
Kirby Return to Dream Land (apparently quite expensive and rare)
Warioware Smooth Moves
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
The Last Story

Super Paper Mario is kind of neat, but there's some highly questionable design decisions in that one and I would hesitate to call it a "good game".

Definitely check out Zack & Wiki! It's quite extraordinary – I would be tempted to say that Capcom doesn't make games like that any more (and no wonder considering it didn't sell very well).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:46:52 am by Jorpho »

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 07:17:40 pm »
Thanks Jorpho, I'll check these games out on YouTube. :)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 08:33:34 pm »
if you can find it on the cheap Xenoblade Chronicles is a good Wii bet if you want bang for your buck

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:34 am »
if you can find it on the cheap Xenoblade Chronicles is a good Wii bet if you want bang for your buck
I wasn't going to mention that because finding it cheap seems highly questionable.

I could mention Yuji Naka's Rodea: The Sky Soldier, whose definitive version is on the Wii, but it seems no one regards it particularly highly, even if it is supposedly much better than the Wii U and 3DS versions. 

A few other possible games of note:
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Alien Crush Returns (Wiiware exclusive)

A reminder that the Wii is quite trivial to hack, if you want.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:58 am »
I got a bonus for opening a checking account at a new bank and decided to get a Wii U and Mario Maker last week. They also gave me Star Fox Zero for only $5. I'm kind of bummed there is no exclusive Castlevania or Super Metroid for this system, but sometimes it's better to replay classics than a newer version that is lackluster. BOTW will most likely still be awesome, even if haters will complain that the hype is gone ,and the original price tag :),

I never wanted to get trapped into buying newer consoles anyways for "exclusive" games, and vowed to just update my gaming card when all the next-gen consoles were released a couple years ago.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »
Here's somma the games I managed to get this month...

Next month I plan to get more. :)

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:21 pm »
I don't think anyone had anything at all nice to say about Star Fox Zero.

I thought it was fine, once you get used to the controls. I've never really been a huge Star Fox fan, though.

I wasn't going to mention that because finding it cheap seems highly questionable.

It will take up a huge chunk of your internal storage, but it's only $20 on the WiiU eShop. That version of the game also supports using the gamepad (which I wish all Wii games did).

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 05:08:19 pm »
I've been playing Super Mario rom hacks for awhile now. One of the big advantages of Mario Maker is that there is no frustration on getting the correct version of the hack and the rom for patching. Also, typically hackers have a certain way of designing levels so a SMW hack with 70 levels, most of the levels will feel 90% the same. Here you play the 10 course challenge and they will be from a different maker, and each course could be from 5 different popular Mario games. It's way more convenient to play levels here, than downloading rom-hacks, which many times have little or no review, bad headers, checksums, etc. (I once downloaded a Mario game that required 2 separate programs to be installed first, plus 500mb of free space and the physics were all wrong).

The game is 5 years old I'm sure everyone knows that. Although, Nintendo is strict there is no unofficial release of Mario Maker freeware like MegaMaker or Zelda Classic Launcher.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 01:09:25 am »
(I once downloaded a Mario game that required 2 separate programs to be installed first, plus 500mb of free space and the physics were all wrong).
Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, perhaps..?

Newer Super Mario Bros Wii is supposed to be pretty good.  (You can even run it on a Wii without having to make persistent changes.)