The first few versions of this hack and patcher have been around for a couple of months now on the site. A very busy couple of months though. Thanks to the continued support the project has got, it has gone a long way since the first version, enough to guarantee some sort of re-release.
To people first hearing about this: this is an improvement/tweaks project for Mega Man X6!
You'll have to check the project's page for all the details, as the list has grown quite big, but these are some of the highlights:
- Parts are no longer permanently missable. Injured Reploids reappear after getting infected or killed as if you've never encountered them.
- Parts/Souls/Ranks table has been edited to reduce grinding and having an available Parts slot right from the start
- Fight against Nightmare Zero on Lvl. 4 has been made available without cheating, which unlocks Black Zero during normal play
- X and Zero now share Heart Tanks, Life Up parts, Energy Up parts, Souls, and Rank.
- Blade Armor customization. Stronger attacks. More controllable, less dangerous Mach Dash.
- X and Shador Armor have access to the Air Dash.
- Zero's infamous Sentsuizan has been remapped and the execution method has been changed to Hold/Release, so you can cancel it anytime.
- Bonus damage against Nightmare Snake (aka Donuts) and Nightmare Mother.
- Nightmare Effects can be disabled
- "Exit Stage" button always available
- Disables Alia's alerts and other dialogues
- Reducing the list of Injured Reploids by removing the ones that don't hold any items
- Repurposed cheat codes. You can use them to unlock secret armors, as well as to start the game with Zero available.
And since improvement project can be very subjective, the meat of the project has been making all these options available separately through the Mega Man X6 Tweaks Patcher project
, so you can customize your version of the hack however you see fit!
Also, in case anyone else wants to continue from here and use information from this project on their own hacking endeavors (like replicating these hacks on other, hmmm, newer releases of this game), there's also a throughout documentation of every single modification and line of code written for this project, the Mega Man X6 Tweaks Spreadsheet
It's been a very busy couple of months. It'll definitely slow down now, but bug reports and suggestions are always welcome (a new bug will very likely pop up as soon as this is published). Thanks to everyone who'se been part of the project thread, either contributing, hunting for bugs, or simply showing your support!
Special thanks go to:
- DarkSamus993, who very patiently helped kickstart this whole project back when acediez didn't even know what ASM was. We're all looking forward to the X5 Improvement Project!
- injoon84, for his dedicated (daily, at times) bug hunting and reporting. Went through every single WIP release of the project so the main author could spend his time working on new options.
- Z3R0X, for his various hack contributions to the project.
- Lumiere, x6fan, Ghaleonh41, Zero Dozer, and all the others who have reported bugs and shown their support!RHDN Project PageRelevant Link