News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition  (Read 2709 times)

Zeality

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition
« on: December 23, 2018, 01:19:42 pm »
Not my personal project, but I didn't want this completely off Romhacking.net's radar (the hack will be formally submitted in a month or so; the author wanted to release it exclusively at the Compendium for the first 30 days). He's meanwhile given us permission to get the word out (not sure if he's on RH.net however, so I'm posting).

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=12976.0

What if... Schala escaped from the Ocean Palace?

Chrono Trigger fans have been imagining what might've been for almost twenty-five years. Now, for the first time, an extensive ROM hack explores that question in Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition!

By the same author who created the Golbez Edition and General Leo Edition hacks of Final Fantasy IV and VI, this hack alters events so that Schala survives the Ocean Palace disaster. Magus leads Marle and friends on an expanded adventure through 12,000 BC in search of his sister, with a promise to help them retrieve their lost Crono... but only if they help him first. New locations, enemies, bosses and scenes await, ending in one of gaming's most long-awaited reunions.

While recognizably based off of Ted Woolsey's original 1995 translation, this hack features an extended and polished script, new Techs, new items and weapons, and lots of surprises along the way, bringing maximum nostalgia while also offering something new.

The Schala Edition patch will be exclusively available here at the Compendium through January 31, followed by wider release through romhacking.net. The author thanks everybody at the Compendium for their help and support, because this project never would've happened without them!

Try the hack today and thank you! See the included readme for details!

Link

All credit goes to Fauntleroy, who was part of the original Crimson Echoes team (mapping and some other tweaks).

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:47:36 pm by Zeality »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: Schala Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 01:50:27 pm »
Excitement!  Golbez and General Leo were actually pretty well done when not counting the main focus, so I'm sure this is going to be pretty neat to play through.

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 04:41:43 pm »
I've been waiting on a playable Schala for a long time. Thanks to all involved :thumbsup:
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 04:49:26 pm »
Actually, it's mentioned in the readme file that Schala is not a playable character. The story is simply changed to one where she escaped the Ocean Palace disaster after the Lavos incident. Here is what is written in the readme file for the zip download (which can be found in the link in the first post above):
Please note that Schala is not a playable character; Chrono Trigger
limits the game to just seven party members. Some ambitious people
are working on an eighth character expansion mod, but I think
that's still a ways into the future. This is something I'd like to
tackle someday, but... not now.
Even so, it's still nice to have a reason to replay this great game. And even better still that Schala gets out safely from the Ocean Palace in this version. I've always wanted to see a version where she and Janus get to live peacefully together after all they've been through. Quite frankly, I've had enough of drama in games...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:56:32 pm by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

vivify93

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 12:44:18 pm »
Just noticed that. Whoops, spoke before I looked haha. Still impressive work though, yes
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 01:20:26 pm »
Oh man I love the guy's work on Golbez Edition and General Edition! I've got to check this out as I've been meaning to replay Chrono Trigger for some time now! :)

I wonder why this hasn't been submitted to the site yet?
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 06:57:56 pm »
Not my personal project, but I didn't want this completely off Romhacking.net's radar (the hack will be formally submitted in a month or so; the author wanted to release it exclusively at the Compendium for the first 30 days). He's meanwhile given us permission to get the word out (not sure if he's on RH.net however, so I'm posting).

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 11:34:30 pm »
doh was in a rush on mobile didn't read thoroughly...thanks! :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 01:14:55 am »
For anyone interested in playing this hack now, please note that it has been updated to version 1.1. Just scroll down to the bottom of the comments found in the link above. Seems like a fair number of bugs were fixed.

And thanks to everyone involved for providing us with this fine hack. :thumbsup:
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)