News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Game Gear ROM Hack  (Read 489 times)

Telekill

• View Profile
Sega Game Gear ROM Hack
« on: August 02, 2018, 01:48:59 am »
Ok guys,

I have been trying to find out if it's even possible but what I'm trying to do is get a Ninja Turtles game on my Sega Game Gear. I figured with how old Game Gear is that someone would have somehow ported one of the Game Boy Ninja Turtles games over to a Game Gear ROM by now but I have not been able to find anything. I asked a few other sites about the prospect of porting one of those games to the Game Gear and they stated that it would take hundreds of hours by someone who truly understood the coding on both systems. In other words... not happening.  :(

That brought me to my second idea. I saw that someone had created a Genesis mod for Streets of Rage 2 to allow the Ninja Turtles as playable characters. Would it be possible to alter the sprites on Streets of Rage 2 for Game Gear to allow the player to be the Ninja Turtles? This seems like it would be the easier option but still difficult as there are no sprites to just transfer over. At best, the Game Boy sprites could be used but they would have to be completely redrawn and colored in.

As an added difficulty, if this was at all possible, how would one go about getting the ROM onto a Game Gear cartridge in order to play it on the system itself?

I have had my Game Gear for the last 27 years and it's my favorite retro system. The one glaring series missing from its library is the Ninja Turtles due to Konami having the rights at the time and being partnered up with Nintendo for most of that generation. I would love to see this happen, but not having any coding skills, I'm not sure if this could ever become a reality.

You guys are my last hope on the matter. What are your thoughts?

dACE

• View Profile
Re: Sega Game Gear ROM Hack
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 02:16:06 pm »
Gfx hacks are fairly easy - if the gfx is uncrompressed.

Have you downloaded a tile-editor (like TileMolester) and looked through the street of rage rom?

If not - hop to it!

/dACE

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:27 pm »
As an added difficulty, if this was at all possible, how would one go about getting the ROM onto a Game Gear cartridge in order to play it on the system itself?
Have you tried a Google search for "game gear flash cart" (no quotes)?

https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/game-gear/
http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/guide-build-your-own-sega-game-gear-flash-cartridge.html
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 09:01:44 am »
Okay, let's take this idea seriously for a minute.

First off, if you want to play TMNT on Game Boy, play it on Game Boy. Nobody but you would really care if it's on Game Gear at this point. So if you really want to devote yourself to this project, be my guest. :)

Now, assuming you DO want to do it. Let's compare the two systems.

The Game Gear is almost identical to the Master System, aside from a lower resolution and substantially more colours. It uses a Z80 CPU and has 8KB RAM. The Game Boy has a custom CPU that is very similar to the Z80, and also has 8KB RAM.

Therefore, a lot of the main code can be ported over directly without much change, since the languages the CPUs use are almost the same. There will be no problem with RAM usage, and both systems have an identical resolution of 160x144, so the graphics will port over perfectly. Of course the sound hardware is rather different, but you could adapt the tunes somehow (it's the least of your worries).

So, is it impossible? Not at all: in fact, it's remarkable how similar the two systems actually are. But it would still take a lot of work - the underlying code may be copied over, but the code regarding graphics and sound would need extensive rewriting. For someone with experience in Z80 assembly, this would be a fun challenge, but if you're more interested in the result than the process, you'd be better off not bothering. In fact, that sentence could apply to all ROM hacking. :)

Now, the second idea.

they would have to be completely redrawn and colored in.

Coloured in, yes, redrawn, no. As I said, the resolution on both systems is the same, so unless the sprites are the wrong size, you won't need to redraw them. But yeah, importing the graphics would be orders of magnitude easier than porting the game.

Telekill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:27:50 am »
Thank you for the replies thus far.

I am a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. Given that, I think I'm going to try the easier method and get the Ninja Turtles sprites from the GameBoy game into Streets of Rage 2 for Game Gear.

I saw one of you post a possible program to use in assisting with this. Is there a tutorial on how to attain, alter/color and implement/overwrite sprites?

I've discovered that the easy way to get the ROM onto a Game Gear cartridge (once completed) would be to buy an Everdrive Cart. A little spendy but at least it makes it simple.

I appreciate the help guys.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:35:19 pm »
I saw one of you post a possible program to use in assisting with this. Is there a tutorial on how to attain, alter/color and implement/overwrite sprites?
A good strategy is to give it a whirl and see what you can discover.

We do have this:
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Telekill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 12:45:22 am »
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

August 08, 2018, 02:30:42 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, I've hit a road block.

I've been able to start the editing of a couple sprites but most of the tiles look like they probably have some kind of compression. They are unrecognizable and the best I can describe most of the tiles would be of oddly colored static.

I looked but I couldn't find anything about decompressing an SMS or GG file. I'm using TPL and it didn't have GG support but it did have SMS support which worked. I wasn't sure if it was due to that that many tiles don't resemble anything.

I also tried downloading Tile Molester but it wouldn't run.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:30:42 am by Telekill »