News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shadowrun for the Sega Hack  (Read 6142 times)

4lorn

• View Profile
Re: Shadowrun for the Sega Hack
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 06:30:59 pm »
Oh, no worries, I understood that :) I played the hell out of this game back in the day. It remains a Genesis favorite, if not one of the best 16-bit RPGs. Was just thinking that if the totems as items were removed, it might be necessary to do some very minor edits to Ricky's dialogue.

I was aware of the "hidden" dagger by messing with save state editors back then (it was worth a fortune!), but never knew about that Mako bit. That's a nice touch (or would be if it had been implemented).

Too bad about the totems not being able to be edited that way. I have no knowledge of the game's code (I looked around the ROM with graphic and hex editors in hopes of being able to pull off a translation but I'm not sure I'd be able to change or add more characters, the game seems heavily packed with info and not much free space) so I can't really help :/

But would it be possible to duplicate an existing item? Say... You remove all three Totems, then add an item that behaved somewhat like a Spell Focus but shared the Totem graphic (and the inability to be removed from the inventory)? Just thinking out loud here.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:22 pm »
Yes.  Yes that absolutely worked.  I can assign it the same properties as one of the other spell items.  I just tried it with combat focus and it worked.  Feel kinda dumb I didn't think of that. 

I guess the question now is do we augment the totems and give them some power, or do players want the open inventory slot?

If the answer is keep them what should the totems do?  There is Gator, Rat, and Bear.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2019, 05:43:15 pm »
Yes.  Yes that absolutely worked.  I can assign it the same properties as one of the other spell items.  I just tried it with combat focus and it worked.  Feel kinda dumb I didn't think of that.

Don't! I'm glad my suggestion paid off :)

I guess it all depends on the trade off. When I played the game, I got used to the slightly limited inventory, so it wasn't an issue for me (though I understand how and why it can affect someone's enjoyment of the game).

Stripped of their totems, they "gain" an item slot but aren't they pretty much the same as mages? If the totems stay, I think they should give some bonuses, if possible. I'm not sure if the suggestions I made earlier (+combat rolls for Gator, +duration and AoE for Invisibility and Healing for Rat and Bear respectively) are doable. But it would be interesting to see the totems apply bonuses that went along with the Spirits.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »
Just an update.

I figured out the totems do a degree.  It seems they had the ability to improve the shamans but didn't for whatever reason.  After changing different things in the ROM address purely through trial and error I have figured out that the Rat totem improves the invisibility and confusion spells.  The Bear totem enhances the heal spell.  These are both consistent with what SR2 would have those totems enhance.  So I plan to just leave them. 

I still haven't figured out what Gator does, so for now I am going to leave Joshua a mage and put figuring out his totem on the back burner.

I also made Gamesoul Master's suggestion go into affect.  I have the 90K coming to the player after he gets Michael's stuff from the hotel. 

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/manuals/genesis/Shadowrun.pdf <-- This is a link to the game's original manual.  It helps catch up a new player to how the game works. The only thing in the manual that wouldnt be consistent is I have changed SMGs skill to Auto and have changed some of the SMGs to Assault Rifles.  This gives a character in late game some alternatives weapon wise.  As the game is originally written shotguns are really the only choice to take down late game enemies. 

As soon as I get time to make a patch I'll post a v 2.0 of the mod with the above changes made. 

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 12:34:33 pm »
Just an update.

I figured out the totems do a degree.  It seems they had the ability to improve the shamans but didn't for whatever reason.  After changing different things in the ROM address purely through trial and error I have figured out that the Rat totem improves the invisibility and confusion spells.  The Bear totem enhances the heal spell.  These are both consistent with what SR2 would have those totems enhance.  So I plan to just leave them. 

I still haven't figured out what Gator does, so for now I am going to leave Joshua a mage and put figuring out his totem on the back burner.

Great :)

I found a 2nd Edition Core Rulebook online. Seems my suggestions were pretty much spot on, here are the Totem characteristics (minus things like differences between urban and wilderness totems):

Gator: +2 dice for combat and detection spells

Rat: +2 dice for detection and illusion spells

Bear +2* dice for all health spells

(*In the Core Book there's a Z instead of a 2; I'm assuming a typo here?).

So I'm guessing in the game, if it was coded but not implemented, there's probably something related to combat for Joshua as a Gator Shaman.

IronC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 02:57:41 pm »
Hello there, I just made an account to comment on this thread because pretty much I'm impressed to find a project of this quite dated game still on progress in the current year. Usually when I find stuff like this they are abandoned projects that havent been touched in years with no progress, but the work on this patch shows complexity and consistency compared to other shadowrun hacks.

Below I'll put my first impressions and my thoughs about this hack/patch. You are free to ignore them if you want to.

This is my 4th playthrough  on this game and the changes done in the patch are more than good. I like that you made it so I can skip the boring early game grind while also making the fun missions rewarding. It's so good to not be forced to farm in the matrix in order to get nuyen anymore or do tons of basic 1 karma runs to build up stats to do a corp run or even kill halloweeners.  At the same time, despite having a lot of nuyen and skills at the early start, the corp runs are still challenging.

I found the new weapons interesting as well. The high power-damage smg and the 25 bullet clip pistol easily kills the renkaku security with little firearm skill investment. Making the weaker smgs and pistols do more damage is also a good change to note.
 Also,  I don't know if it was intended or you did this change, but I think the changes you made on some weapons stats made some enemies stronger as well. For example the Eye fibers and Renkaku Strike Team have one of those modified weapons equipped and they deal more damage compared to the original version. I personally find this change a positive because now enemies pose a treat compared to before where the only niche of the renkaku strike team was their tankiness and eye fibers were just cannon fodder that barely were dangerous even at early game. Now it's quite satisfying to fight against them since they are somewhat strong to fight against in late game (or at least more compared to before)

In short words, the boring grind has been cut off whilist keeping the game challenging and the weapons have been balanced along with some items that now serve some use. It feels like a completely different new game.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:04:21 pm by IronC »

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 10:45:12 pm »
@ IronC I appreciate you taking the time to create an account to reply to this post.  That's extremely flattering, and I am glad other people like this game as much as I do.  I feel this is one of the absolute top classics from that era, and I'm really sad they developers didn't get to finish everything they wanted too. 

Your observation about the enemies getting stronger is correct.  They have "character sheets" in the code that determine their skills, attributes and gear.  When I upgraded the weapons theirs got upgraded as well.  I have been thinking about upgrading the Renraku strike team to have combat armor since they should probably be red samurai members since that's what Renraku would send after someone in the situation Joshua finds himself in during the game.

I am posting a second patch (hopefully correctly, I use this online cloud thing wrong a lot). 

In this I have "turned on" the Rat and Bear totems.  Rat influences the stink and confusion spells, while Bear impacts the heal spell.  If I remember correctly this is pretty much what they did in SR2.  There are none of the cons from the book (I think bear shamans go berserk, don't recall what rat shamans struggle with) but there is the in game consequence of loosing 1/8th of your inventory space so I think it comes out in the wash. Big thanks to 4lorn for giving me the idea that let me figure this out through some trial and error. 

I have decided to leave Joshua as a Mage.  I haven't figured out exactly what the Gator Totem does, but I think its probably going to be a combat upgrade.  My logic there is I don't want to keyhole the player into a particular type of magic user and the mage is more generic.  If there is a desire for it later it should be easy to create another copy of mod that has the Gator Shaman back (or bear or rat for that matter if its desired).

I have made the change suggested by Gamesoul Master of having money pay out to the character on Michael's Cred Stick.  I also lowered it to 50K just to test out if this makes it better.  Some people have messaged me and said the beginning's a little to easy. I can already tell you there is a typo in the text after you get the cred stick.  I need to change it from 500 to 50k.  Ill fix that in the next patch.

Below are some changes I am interested in looking into for the next version.  If anyone has a particularly strong opinon please share it.  If anyone has an insight on how to tackle it please PM me.

--I would like to look at making pistols not reduce your magazine total.  In the game right now there are "universal gun clips" that all weapon types use.  This obviously isn't realistic but I am sure the memory was too restrictive to have 3 or 4 types of ammo in this game as big as it is.  As it stands right now there really isn't an incentive to use or keep pistols past a point.  The assault rifles, smgs, and shotguns are so much stronger and their status as "illegal" becomes irrelevant in time.  As such I thought that making the pistols not use use actual magazines would give an incentive to keep a pistol as a side arm.  I have completely run out of ammo during extraction runs before, especially Caleb's.  Ideally I want the pistols to still have to reload, just for all purposes the character has an unlimited supply of pistol ammo.  Like Win Back if anyone played that for the Nintendo 64

--Another guy working on a shadowrun sega hack said he got the enchanted dagger to work.  If I can figure that out I'd like to turn it into forearm snap blades and have a mage/shaman friendly melee weapon which the game doesn't have right now.  That should be relatively easy if I can figure out how to get the dagger to work.  After that I just have to adjust the damage, change the image, and put it in a store. 

--Lastly I would really like to figure out where the game has it assignments for what ROM addresses correspond to what type of Item.  This would let me get rid of some pistols to make shotguns, drop a piece of armor to make another type of spell focus, drop a pistol for another melee weapon, etc.  This has eluded me so far though.  Every time I go after it I get frustrated and stop working on this for a while.  But I am running out of changes I want to make at this point. 

Any way that's a long enough post for now, thanks for reading.  Below is a link to the patch.  If this doesn't work please post here or send me a PM.  I have made a mistake with this before. 

https://mega.nz/#!eRcTCaqD!wajTZntLcusiYK2uv9L-Ele8bQB5ZSG4QyGAxjfz6FM

This is an IPS patch.  It was made with Lunar so that should work.  If there's a problem someone please let me know. 

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 01:17:33 pm »
Well I have a bug that was pretty bad.  Something about my change to put the 90K on Michael's Credstick made it so that you cannot use a health kit or stim patch.  Not sure what caused that.  Below is a correction where the totems are still active but I've had to change the money back to the way it was for now.

https://mega.nz/#!aJNgWQjY!ibv9oa_AcvNYtYvsKQU6pa42kCf195c8gIG_dyn8UWA

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 04:21:51 pm »
I have made some headway on the making new weapons, or at least changing their characteristics.

Each weapon is assigned a bit value (01-0c) for tracking them.  For example it seems to be a value check to see if a given weapon is in a character's inventory.  There is also a section of the code that runs a "compare bit" command on the three weapons that fire in automatic.  each bit is followed by a branch if equal with the last being followed by a branch if not equal.  What I am guessing this does is tells the game to go "here" to fire the gun if its one of these three, making it automatic, and then go "here" if its not making it fire in single shot mode for the pistols and shotguns.  If I change one of these bits to one that corresponds to one of the other weapon that weapon then fires in full auto mode.   

I have to look into 68K programming because I do not understand how to insert commands in 68K (if that's even possible), or to tell how where in the code the branch command is telling the processor to go. 

I am hoping I can add more branching lines at this location to create a machine pistol and a full auto combat shotgun.