News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Shadowrun for the Sega Hack  (Read 1512 times)

seraphim423

• View Profile
Shadowrun for the Sega Hack
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:16:24 pm »
Hello, I am relatively new to the ROM hacking scene, but find it a very interesting puzzle. 

I am working on a hack for the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun. 

Currently, my goals with the hack are to rebalance out the weapons, add additional weapons, increase money and karma payouts for jobs (thus reducing the grind, this game is notorious for it), and bring things in line with Shadowrun 2nd edition rules.

I am still working on my knowledge of assembly but the different versions of GENS have made figuring out the game a lot easier.

Currently, I have completed the following.

1.) I have rebalanced the stats of the starting characters to line up with 2nd edition Shadowrun.

2.) I have redone the weapons to match weapons present in the game and have tried to mix them up a little bit. 

3.) I have fixed a glitch in the game that causes auto death if you are using wired reflexes and melee attacks (thanks to Tony H)

4.) I have changed an extensive amount of dialogue to match the new weapons and to give a different flavor to some of the missions.

I am currently working on how money and karma (exp for this game) are rewarded for completed shadowruns (in-game missions/jobs).  I have made strong headway on the money side, but have some random effects occurring I have to work out. 

I am stuck on altering some aspects of the weapons (reload speed, fire speed, fire mode, and sound) and with creating new items.  But I have received some advice on this. 

For those that are familiar with the character generation process for early editions of Shadowrun, and are curious, my logic is listed below for the changes I made.

"Samurai" and "Decker" Joshua have priorities set for A=Attributes B=Skills and C=resources (D and E are race and magic)

I have changed "Gator Shaman" Joshua to "Mage" Joshua (in the game being a shaman has no benefit and takes up an item slot needlessly). 

His priorities are A=Magic B=Attributes C= Resources D=Skills and E=Race. If your not familiar with 2nd edition rules that probably doesn't make any sense.

I have also added spells to Mage Joshua's spell book to provide him the proper number of "power points" for that resource level, and I have allowed the characters to start with 90,000 to reflect choosing resources as priority C. 

I am considering having the characters start with nothing in their inventory, to reflect just stepping off a plane that landed in Seattle.  This is workable from a play perspective because the characters start next to a gun/armor store.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I would welcome any feedback. 

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 11:42:19 pm by seraphim423 »

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
Re: Shadowrun for the Sega Hack
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:23:07 pm »
Sounds interesting. I never finished the Genesis Shadowrun, but I thought the gameplay was very addicting. I assume the 2nd edition rules are an improvement to the original?

BTW, if you could add a few screenshots showcasing some of the changes, I'm curious to see what you've already done with the game.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
The 2nd edition is actually the edition of the game that was out at the time.  Shadowrun PnP is in 5th edition now.  The changes I have made are under the hood type changes.  So far I have just altered the existing weapons.  Changing how they function (at least a little, several weapon properties I haven't figured out yet) and their names.  I've changed a substantial amount of the dialog, and have adjusted PC and NPC statistics.

I did finally figure out what was causing the issue with the run payouts today though.  That is fixed now, and I have doubled the karma rewards for most things, and massively increased payouts on different run types. 

I have several screenshots to post but cannot figure out how to get them to post on the board.  Every time I click insert image this is all that appears --->  img][/img]

I have tried different browsers.  I probably have a setting messed up.  I will mess around with it and see if I can fix it. 

Now that I have the runs rewarding what I want.  I am going to work on trying to figure out how to change all of the properties of the weapons. 

I don't really have plans to change the graphics.  I don't have any artistic talent what so ever.  In addition to that, other than a revolver's image being a semi-automatic, I really wouldn't change anything about the graphics. 

I will hopefully have a link to a patch for the game for playtesting purposes within a week. I'd like to play through it once to catch obvious stuff.   

August 02, 2018, 01:13:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

August 02, 2018, 01:14:44 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Figured out the posting screenshots issue. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:14:44 am by seraphim423 »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 02:18:51 pm »
Not familiar with those rules so I'd have to try it but it's cool that some work is being done on the game.

There was another hack in the works maybe a year back, I'll see if I can find a link since I commented pretty thoroughly on what I'd like to see done.

Here:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22245.msg313369#msg313369
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:24:25 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:08:51 am »
Yea, I actually made contact with him/her. VonMuir was very helpful to me when I was first getting started. 

My version of the hack isn't nearly that ambitious. 

I am a very big fan of the tabletop and have dumped countless hours into the gens version. Replaying it through the years I've noticed that it doesn't quite get the Shadowrun world perfect, probably due to censorship issues.  The Shadowrun world is pretty dark. So I have changed the wording for the setup for some missions, but otherwise, I've left the gameplay alone. 

I have vastly increased the payout on runs for both karma and money.  I've also made the starting character much stronger and started him out with 90k instead of 20 dollars.  This may seem like a huge amount of money but the amount you will need to beat the game is absolutely exorbitant.

I have changed some weapons around but would like to eventually figure out more about how they work.  I am currently a little lost in this area.  I would eventually like to add more weapons to the game. 

For those familiar, I have left the Matrix alone.  I think it pretty much got the feel of Shadowrun's matrix perfect.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a way to host the ips patch to let some people play it and give me feedback on how it's playing out?  I have got a version done that I think is a good beta version of the "mod", but don't know a good way to get it to people.  I know RomHacking.net has a "scratch pad", but I think its more for final uploads, and is temporary.  I've looked at dropbox but it seems to charge eventually, and I don't want to pay to host a 3kb  file. 

Thanks in advance for anyone that has a suggestion. 

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 12:39:03 pm »
I use MEGA for hosting my stuff, it's free.

I wonder what happened to  VonMuir's hack. In any case I'm interested in testing your mod, even if it's still in beta.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 12:55:24 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I created an account pretty easily.  If I have done this correctly, below is the link to the file.  It is an IPS patch that adds the changes I wanted to make. 

I am aware of a bug with contracts paying more than 10k where the leftmost digit in the number gets hung on the screen until you exit dialog.  I am trying to figure this out. 

Otherwise please provide feedback.  I can pretty easily change damage and armor piercing on the weapons, run base payouts, character stats/gear, and any text. 

I am working on changing the weapons completely.  As it stands right now I can't change the "class" a weapon is.  i.e I can't change the stats of a pistol to make it shoot like an SMG or reload and sound like a shotgun. 
https://mega.nz/#!DyJAFApB

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »
I think you'll have to provide the link with the decryption key, otherwise I can't access the download.

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 10:22:57 pm »
Yea, I misunderstood that.  I thought by clicking "without key" it just wouldn't apply one.

My apologies. 

I believe this is correct now.

https://mega.nz/#!DyJAFApB!K27Y5mbxVqkud3tvLLBbgKQxxR0xXlv9MiOQb2WsXU0

If you get a chance to check it out, please look at the enforcement missions offered by the mid-level "Johnson's".  I completely changed the text associated with most of those.  I'd like to know if people consider them an improvement. 

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 08:54:18 am »
Nice project. This game deserves more love.^^

I discovered the game very late to be honest (it was never released in Europe). Still I played it from beginning to end a few years back and had good fun. If you look past the drab  graphics (very cyberpunkish by the way^^) you have one great action RPG, also the first hub is somewhat underwhelming which can turn off people, it gets better later. A few remarks:

- you’re right about the game being grindy (especially the early part), if you do away with that I’d be eternally grateful,

- the Corp Badge (6000 Nuyen) is useful when you’re doing a Corp Run and don’t have a high Charisma to talk your way out:

# is it possible to lower the price of this item? (it’s sold by your contact Max when called on the vid-phone),

# the Corp Badge is fickle, sometimes it lasts for 1 Run and sometimes it stays for longer. How is that possible? Could you make it more reliable?

- some gamers have reported that using Cheats makes the final battle unwinnable, making the game impossible to complete. So totally noob question here:

Do you think tinkering with game values could make the game unbeatable?

Anyways thanks in advance for you answers and Good luck on your endeavours, seraphim423! :thumbsup:

* Anecdote about the French Shadowrun Novels:

I discovered the Shadowrun universe with the novels actually, not the tabletop. Back in the day I bought around a dozen of them, the French trade paperback. I read them like pulps and liked them very much, but always felt they were a bit rushed, especially their endings. Years later I learned why:

Fleuve Noir, the publisher (now Fleuve Editions), decided that for this collection each book shouldn't exceed 250 pages! Many novels were butchered to death, often the French translations was missing entire scenes, many books were missing between 50/70 pages! The first time I heard about this I almost stretched my pants and turned green!

At last in 2009 Black Book Edition -a French publisher too- decided to re-print these novels with a much more faithful translation. Having read 2XS (one of the better novels in the collection) both in old and new version, I can say that the Black Book new version is the better translation.

Ahem sorry for the off-topic. :P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:32:50 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

seraphim423

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 10:52:17 am »
I've played through a few times.  In the version of the ROM I've been working with, the Corp Badge seems to have a permanent value.  I've never been able to get it to disappear, and I don't know of a way to figure out how it disappears unless I can get it too and then run a trace on it.   

Altering the price will probably be doable.  The contact's prices for things are fixed, not formula based.  So they should be easy to alter once they are located.  If I can figure out the weapon thing, I intend to make the contacts carry exclusive weapons.

I am not sure about the endgame question.  I was able to beat the game using the in-game cheats and with the changes that I've made. So it seems fine for now.

I replayed it with the beta version I have put out.  I made it through significantly quicker because I could start with a mid-level cyberdeck.  Still took me a bit to get the Excalibur and corp runs could still be a total party kill on the way out.  But I think that's part of the dark nature of the game.   I'll wait for some opinions on that. 

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:05 am »
...I am not sure about the endgame question.  I was able to beat the game using the in-game cheats and with the changes that I've made. So it seems fine for now...

Actually I finished the game without any major issues too (also for what it's worth I didn’t use cheats).

I was more asking about this Review and wanted to know if these rumors were true:

Just Gave Up On - Shadowrun (Genesis)

But since you said your hack works perfectly it's a moot point, I guess. :)
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)