News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help creating a English patch for the Japanese version of Thousand Arms  (Read 1164 times)

ashley_bp

• View Profile
Hey there!

You are all probably wondering why it is that I am asking for help for an English patch to a game that was already released in English, well me and my friend both speedrun this game, however we had recently found out that the English version of this game is significantly longer than the Japanese version of the game because the Japanese version, for whatever reason seems to have 50% less HP than the English versions.

Preferably we'd like to run on the Japanese version but would still like to keep the text, (for remembering things) and the voice acting (if possible) to stay in English - some of the best moments of this game are how hilarious the dialogue is and for viewer sake it makes the game more interesting to watch.

Does anyone know how achievable this is? I honestly don't know about Romhacking or manipulating ISO files, is there a way to open both ISO's up and just copy and paste the content over to the Japanese version of the game?

There is already an 'Undubbed' Version of the game that I have found which is NTSC-U I assume its just the US version of the game overwritten with the Japanese VA while everything else remains in English, I'd ask for the same sort of thing a Japanese dubbed version, that uses the Japanese game files but the sound and text files had been converted to English

Any advice or help on the subject would be appreciated!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:11:07 pm by ashley_bp »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Do figure out what rules your speedrun community has for this sort of thing. Sometimes they get a bit touchy about accepting times from such builds.

Anyway audio tends to be fairly fixed between games (it is expensive after all) but text can vary dramatically, so much so it would very much be the exception if you could do a simple script overwrite -- Japanese fonts tend not to support Roman characters and furthermore most games around then probably still converted to 8 bit encodings when appearing in English. There are times when backporting a script makes sense (usually to make up for audio and cutscenes that might have been lost) and while a fairly fundamental gameplay change like this can be it then it is still a fair ask.

If it is just a speed related thing you would be better off with a cheat to double attack/damage, or maybe figuring out where the monster stats table is and halving that*.

*actually if there are no names involved in the table or you can work around that then I would place more money on being able to copy monster stats straight across over copying text straight across.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Not to rain on your parade, but might it be more worthwhile to just reduce the HP by 50% in the US version if that's your only reason?  It just sounds like you're taking the long way around so to speak.