News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X Legacy Collection Sprites Extraction  (Read 1327 times)

hyagogow

• View Profile
Mega Man X Legacy Collection Sprites Extraction
« on: July 25, 2018, 01:27:58 pm »
Does anyone know how to extract sprites data from Mega Man X Legacy Collection games (PC version)?

I know there're many sprites already online from X-X6 but I was wondering how the sprites from this collection are packed to run on moderns machines.
Maybe they are the same and run on just an internal capcom emulator or maybe they got some changes. As a big mega man fan and developer, I'm just curious about this.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X Legacy Collection Sprites Extraction
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 03:24:35 pm »
Maybe they are the same and run on just an internal capcom emulator or maybe they got some changes.

The original-series Mega Man Legacy Collection does use at least an NES emulator (which, given how well Capcom's attempts to recode their games from the ground up have turned out in the past, is probably for the better), so it'd surprise me if the X Legacy Collection didn't.

As far as I know, the only major changes to the games in the X Legacy Collection is changing the Maverick names in X5 to more closely match the original Japanese version (e.g. "Volt Kraken" not "Squid Adler", "Spiral Pegasus" not "The Skiver"). Again, it's probably for the better...as hilariously awful as the name "Duff McWhalen" is.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:10:20 pm »
X1-X3 are exactly the same as the SNES as it's the actual ROMS being emulated. X4 & X5 use the PC versions, I think X6 does as well if they had a PC version. If there's any slight differences I'd be surprised but I think it's all the same as the original versions.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

RealGaea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »
As far as I know, the only major changes to the games in the X Legacy Collection is changing the Maverick names in X5 to more closely match the original Japanese version (e.g. "Volt Kraken" not "Squid Adler", "Spiral Pegasus" not "The Skiver"). Again, it's probably for the better...as hilariously awful as the name "Duff McWhalen" is.

Capcom didn't thought for a X5 name option dipswitch? Well, then again it's Capcom we're talking about. Neh, japanese names for Mavericks are a nonsensical turnoff. "Sonic Ostreague"? WHY.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:07:00 pm »
The original-series Mega Man Legacy Collection does use at least an NES emulator (which, given how well Capcom's attempts to recode their games from the ground up have turned out in the past, is probably for the better)
It does?  I thought they used something called the "Eclipse Engine".  Or is that just a fancy name for emulation?

Oh, wait, here we go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/3igzxk/mega_man_legacy_collection_is_a_fancy_emulator/
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 02:56:57 am »
Capcom didn't thought for a X5 name option dipswitch? Well, then again it's Capcom we're talking about. Neh, japanese names for Mavericks are a nonsensical turnoff. "Sonic Ostreague"? WHY.

Some of the names have been anglicized. This collection has "Spiral Pegasus" rather than "Spiral Pegacion" (from the PS1 instruction booklet).

It does?  I thought they used something called the "Eclipse Engine".  Or is that just a fancy name for emulation?

Oh, wait, here we go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/3igzxk/mega_man_legacy_collection_is_a_fancy_emulator/

Yeah, it's an unorthodox engine. Dropping in non-Mega Man games really does not work.

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:03:43 am »
I thought they made an added feature to fight 2 bosses at once. How is that emulated?
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:37 am »
I thought they made an added feature to fight 2 bosses at once. How is that emulated?

I don't think it's been confirmed this collection is emulated. Just looks and feels enough like it, that people accuse first and ask questions later.

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 12:35:23 pm »
X1-X3 are exactly the same as the SNES as it's the actual ROMS being emulated. X4 & X5 use the PC versions, I think X6 does as well if they had a PC version. If there's any slight differences I'd be surprised but I think it's all the same as the original versions.

Do you know how to extract sprite data from this collection? Maybe QuickBMS can do the job. Any other suggestions?

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:02 pm »
No it's confirmed emulated for X1-X3. The ROMS are inside the .exe itself. You can view the sprites like a normal SNES game using Tile Molester. Hell, if you overwrite the data of X3 with any SNES ROM that's 2MB and under it WILL emulate it. I've confirmed all this myself.

The X challenge is entirely separate so no that's not emulated.

Offset: 148A850 to 168A850 is X3 (ENG) ROM so you're free to take a look. I even copy/pasted the data into a separate file as a .smc and it runs absolutely fine. So it's just the straight up ROMS being emulated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:09:03 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Zero Dozer

• Wow, I've used that Eminem quote for a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 09:08:25 pm »
I laughed my ass off as Justin showed the fruits of his experiments on the Mega Man X9 Discord chat. Not every day you see a man breaking a specific collection's emulator to run like any other SNES emulator.

lilbud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 12:49:42 pm »
If anyone is interested, you can use ARCTool and DDDA Tool to extract the graphics for the collection. They extract as .241f5deb files but using DDDA Tool, you can convert them to tex and dds images.

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 08:53:21 am »
If anyone is interested, you can use ARCTool and DDDA Tool to extract the graphics for the collection. They extract as .241f5deb files but using DDDA Tool, you can convert them to tex and dds images.

I'm very interested on extracting those graphics. Could you elaborate more, please?

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:12:53 am »
I'm very interested on extracting those graphics. Could you elaborate more, please?

There's individual graphics editors for X1-3, plus Rockman&Forte, and MM7 on the SNES that will extract and insert the graphics for all those games. If you want to edit those 3 out of the pack you might go that route to find the editors, rather than trying to edit the playstation graphics. Actually, most of the sites that host the tools are all Portuguese for some reason, but some are in English.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 08:36:28 am »
There's individual graphics editors for X1-3, plus Rockman&Forte, and MM7 on the SNES that will extract and insert the graphics for all those games. If you want to edit those 3 out of the pack you might go that route to find the editors, rather than trying to edit the playstation graphics. Actually, most of the sites that host the tools are all Portuguese for some reason, but some are in English.

I'm looking for PSX sprites.

lilbud

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 05:11:39 pm »

Sure.

To extract graphics, you have to use the DDDA Tool and ARCTool. Grab them here: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/5740/ddda-extractor-repacker-image-viewer

This will allow you to view and extract the images and convert them to tex files, which in turn can be converted to dds files.

There are a few flaws with this software however. While trying to extract the .arc files, if the software spits an error out about inaccessible file, it will freeze. So if you try extracting on a folder with a ton of .arc files, and the tool finds one file it doesn't like, it will stop. So it is a pain to work with. Furthermore, only graphics can be extracted. I've not had luck extracting anything else with the tool. So unless someone who is a lot smarter than me can make a MMXC extractor, results will be limited. 

Also, images can only be converted one at a time...so, have fun. You may have luck with the batch arc extract, as it will extract and convert. But I always get an error when doing this.

Also, sorry everyone, the ps1-era games appear to be the PC versions. And they are split up into approximately 1 billion arc files.

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 12:16:15 pm »
Sure.

To extract graphics, you have to use the DDDA Tool and ARCTool. Grab them here: http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/5740/ddda-extractor-repacker-image-viewer

This will allow you to view and extract the images and convert them to tex files, which in turn can be converted to dds files.

There are a few flaws with this software however. While trying to extract the .arc files, if the software spits an error out about inaccessible file, it will freeze. So if you try extracting on a folder with a ton of .arc files, and the tool finds one file it doesn't like, it will stop. So it is a pain to work with. Furthermore, only graphics can be extracted. I've not had luck extracting anything else with the tool. So unless someone who is a lot smarter than me can make a MMXC extractor, results will be limited. 

Also, images can only be converted one at a time...so, have fun. You may have luck with the batch arc extract, as it will extract and convert. But I always get an error when doing this.

Also, sorry everyone, the ps1-era games appear to be the PC versions. And they are split up into approximately 1 billion arc files.

Thanks, man.

HorrorTroll

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:46:15 am »

U guy can using Arctool for extract ARC file inside X4/RomPC, when u have the folder just use TileMolester and run file have this extension .241F5DEB on chr folder

Set it on 8bpp linear, 2-Dimensional, and Canvas size to 32x16.

Done
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 05:52:39 am by HorrorTroll »

hyagogow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 06:23:48 pm »

U guy can using Arctool for extract ARC file inside X4/RomPC, when u have the folder just use TileMolester and run file have this extension .241F5DEB on chr folder

Set it on 8bpp linear, 2-Dimensional, and Canvas size to 32x16.

Done

How to find and change the pallet inside TileMolester?

HorrorTroll

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 04:12:48 am »
U must have the Photoshop, create new image and then set it to Index mode. Then press color table and put the palette in when u done just save at .PAL file, then go to Tile Molester and import the palette file