News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: “Blaster Master” turns 30! Blaster Basterd gets us a little NEStalgic  (Read 1165 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Player 1

Well since it’s the 30th anniversary of “Blaster Master”, here’s something real special for all the hardcore gamers and NEStalgic fans out there. Now this is the first ever P1 rom hack or attempt at programming, so she’s a lil rough, but still its cool to pay homage to one of the best games of the 80s. Always found it funny how the box said “authentic arcade edition”. So what if Blaster master played like an actual arcade game? The side-scrolling levels were reduced into one room with access to all the boss levels that must be played in sequence that makes the classic title play more Megaman than Metroidvania. To retain the spirit of SunSoft difficulty of the game with the elimination of continues, it must be played with 3 lives aka one quarter. All that action is now tuned up for a boss rush catering to speed run freaks. In addition there are a few suicide traps one of which is a nod to the original Japanese version meta fight! There are few other surprises and Easter eggs you’ll enjoy. So without further adieu… Behold, a new twist to one of the greatest games of a generation; Blaster Basterd, authentic arcade edition!

Very Thanks, Player 1

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:38:18 am by Zynk »

t33nman22

• View Profile
loving this hack so far, little stuck after defeating the second crab I'm not sure where to go next?

Josephine Lithius

• Lv. 34 Fox of Mystery™
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
Righteous hack!  Unfortunate name, though…
(I would link to the appropriate I-Mockery article for "Basterd Master," but the hack has crudely-drawn pixel-gore and body parts, ha hah.)

Happy 30th Anniversary, Super Planetary War Records: Metafight!  Looking forward to Blaster Master's actual anniversary, in November!  Wink.
Who'm I kidding – nobody cares about MetaFight.  Heh.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

Player 1

• View Profile
Ok Wow! Thanks all, I'm thrilled people are loving it!   :laugh: It was as fun to make as it is to play!
here's a few tips that will help beat this basterd:

-the bomb glitch (press pause while bombing a boss for 30 sec) def works!(on some bosses)
-avoid water in the tank until you get the dive mod
-once you get hover always try to keep the gauge full!
-If you get lost remember to GO UP!
-To beat the bubble spitting crab keep your GUN gauge full!
-in the tank segment you can farm P (health) and 1 (hover)
-You can regen your "on foot" health by jumping back into the tank

Love,
P1

Player 1

• View Profile
P.S.: Apologies for the uncouth title lol... Maybe I'll call the Japanese version of it META MAN

FullExtentOfTheJam

• View Profile
Great hack! Really enjoying it! I just got the crusher... So I guess I'm looking for the dungeon that has the wall climb, or some kind of wall to shoot through to get to that dungeon... Any help? Thanks!

Player 1

• View Profile
I'll post a quick video strategy up for the people that are getting stuck. YouTube "META MAN NES". Again, when in doubt; GO UP, Keep that Hover full (the "1" power up) and remember I took the largest open area in the game and turned it into a fish bowl you are able to survey it 360 with certain power-ups.