News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou (FC) Translation  (Read 2453 times)

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou (FC) Translation
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:51:08 pm »
Remember when I said I wouldn't translate Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2? ...I lied.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I really wasn't interested at the time, because I'd just spent months translating the first Goemon Gaiden and didn't feel like jumping straight into another project. But then, one day I decided to look into GGG2 out of curiosity (just to see how far I could get with it), and somehow ended up translating the whole thing.

Yeah, the translation is already complete (no messed-up credits to worry about this time). My current intention is for the release of the patch to coincide with the birth of my niece, who is due near the end of August but could well end up being born prematurely. We'd like to play through the game one last time and possibly make some final adjustments to the script before then, but that's it.

There are a couple of references to the first Ganbare Goemon Gaiden in this game. I've tried to keep things like weapon names consistent between the games, too. I think I used a better font this time. I don't have much else to say, really. I hope you look forward to playing it.

Here are some screenshots. They were taken in a few different emulators, so if some look more blurry or have slightly different colours, that's why.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Ganbare Goemon Gaiden 2: Tenka no Zaihou (FC) Translation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:32:28 am »
Congrats to your sibling on the impending birth of their child, and to you on completion of your translation patch. :beer:

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:37 am »
WOW! This caught me completely by surprise! I'm so glad you could translate this one as well. It's always good news having another nes rpg translated. I'll look forward with anticipation to this release!  :crazy:

Thank you very much for your work, MrFwibbles.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:18:31 pm by aqualung »

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:31 am »
This is great news, I'm a big Goemon fan so I'll be happy to play this bad boy when it's done... :D
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:29:17 pm »
Congrats to your sibling on the impending birth of their child, and to you on completion of your translation patch. :beer:
Thank you.  :thumbsup:

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:56:49 pm »
Awesome news & congrats to your family! It's always great to see anything in the Goemon-verse getting some English love :thumbsup:

Atelier Tohka

• Spirit Alchemist of Ratatoskr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 05:27:13 pm »
Looking forward to it. Might need to play through the first game in a little bit. Congratulations to your sibling on their new baby, by the way.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 03:42:28 am »
Any chance releasing an alternate patch with a less ornamental font?

Stylish fonts like that actually take me out of the experience. I would much rather play the games with the regular normal NES/Famicom font typically used in that era. The patch would be optional, of course, for the ones that like regular fonts more.

Thanks and hope you are able to do it.

filler

• "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 05:52:05 am »
Any chance releasing an alternate patch with a less ornamental font?

Stylish fonts like that actually take me out of the experience. I would much rather play the games with the regular normal NES/Famicom font typically used in that era. The patch would be optional, of course, for the ones that like regular fonts more.

Thanks and hope you are able to do it.

Assuming the font isn't compressed, changing the font via a tile editor is trivial. This is something basically anyone could do once the patch is released. You could pay it with any font you prefer.

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 11:12:56 am »
That's right. The font isn't compressed, so you could easily change it to whatever you prefer with a tile editor like YY-CHR or Tile Layer Pro.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 02:54:10 pm »
That's right. The font isn't compressed, so you could easily change it to whatever you prefer with a tile editor like YY-CHR or Tile Layer Pro.

But then how do I turn those changes into a patch? Or you're saying I could modify the font in the patch itself with title layer?

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »
You'd open the patched ROM in your tile editor, make your changes, save it with a different file name, then open Lunar IPS and select "Create Patch". Select the patched ROM as the "Original unmodified file" and your edited, renamed copy as the modified file to use.

Note: This method would make your patch only work as an add-on to my translation.

crimental

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 09:19:19 pm »
Hi. great work!
Hopefully you can share the necessary tools for the future, make a translation into Spanish hehehe.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 02:51:50 am »
You'd open the patched ROM in your tile editor, make your changes, save it with a different file name, then open Lunar IPS and select "Create Patch". Select the patched ROM as the "Original unmodified file" and your edited, renamed copy as the modified file to use.

Note: This method would make your patch only work as an add-on to my translation.

Ok thanks for the explanation. I've never done this before, so I'll try to figure it out.

I used your Goemon Gaiden 1 translation. Opened the patched ROM in YY-CHR, found where the font is. So do I need to load the font file I want, or do I just manually edit the font on the right side of the program? I looks like I can "draw" my own font there. Is that how it is done?

*edit*
Yessss I did it!!

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Would it be fine by you if I submit an addendum with an alternate font? This wouldn't cause any offense?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:14:25 am by reyvgm »

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2018, 03:20:47 am »
Sounds like you did it right, but something might have been overlooked.

Did you open your Test.nes file to check that your modification worked as intended before you made the patch file?

That game has 2 different sets of tiles for text, which are both used depending on which map is currently loaded. Did you overwrite both of them?

Edit: Sure, I don't see why not.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 03:54:09 am »
Sounds like you did it right, but something might have been overlooked.

Did you open your Test.nes file to check that your modification worked as intended before you made the patch file?

That game has 2 different sets of tiles for text, which are both used depending on which map is currently loaded. Did you overwrite both of them?

Edit: Sure, I don't see why not.

I was just testing to see if I could do it. I initially only modified the first font set, and didn't see any changes after saving the file. I then thought there might be another font set, and sure enough, when I modified that one I saw the changes.

Now that I know I can modify the graphics and font, is there any way to make improvements in the actual translation script? Not for your patch, but for older patches. I've always wanted to modify some of those old abandoned translations.

And thanks for the permission!

MrFwibbles

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 04:18:06 am »
Well, that's a lot more complicated and the methods used can vary on a game to game basis. For most of them, you're probably going to need an experienced programmer to help at that point.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 04:23:15 am »
Well, that's a lot more complicated and the methods used can vary on a game to game basis. For most of them, you're probably going to need an experienced programmer to help at that point.

Ah I see. Well, that's fine. At least I can help editing graphics when possible then.

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 02:12:39 am »
Well, good to see another project almost ready to go up (and be a part of making this happen). :thumbsup: This is the last major Goemon game left for the FC, so the next one in line would likely be the SFC series.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:22:10 am by cccmar »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 09:47:19 am »
I'm always very excited to see some love for the Goemon series, the Gaiden games are the probably the only Goemon games I've never even tried, and it was because of the language barrier, so thank you so much for making this!