News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Might & Magic Book Two Already out in English!  (Read 1564 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: MrRichard999

Here is an announcement for Might and Magic Book Two which has a full English translation released! This game is very much different than its European counter part released by Elite as the graphics, sound, and gameplay is much different. We hope you enjoy this release!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:56:31 am by Zynk »

sectarian46

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Might & Magic Book Two Already out in English!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »
Wow! Amazing work! Thank you!!!

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »
ALWAYS is a good time to get a new work made into a someway obscure RPG  :thumbsup: Thanks for your effort!  :woot!:

getter77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:24:29 am »
Indeed---this is a rare sort of RPG in the context of the ups and downs of a classic series, so to see it duly sorted at long last is quite a feat.   :beer:

SylarDean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »
Gratz guys on the release, i'm trying to get some information together about this game for a guide..

1. I've noticed that equipping gear and weapons don't raise any attribute stats for anyone, is this an error..? I say this cos ive tested every weapon and armor on each character in the first town you can get, all dropped ones and even the +1 stuff.. and nothing raises stats in the status screen.
2. Do armor/weapons have any stats on them at all..?
3. If no stats on the gear or weapons what is the point in equipping them..?
4. Is the only way then to raise stats is by using gathered EXP to raise stats at the level up npc..?
5. i gather the higher the price of a weapon/armor in a shop then that would classify it as being the best available at that point?

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:16:18 am »
Note that this game already had an English version (known simply as Might and Magic 2 - Gates to Another World) released in PAL territories back in the day. It looks and plays quite different to this one.

If I remember right that stats not changing happens even in the English version of the game. I definitely noticed differences in damage output when using different weapons.

I had a play of this for a few hours, and for all intents and purposes this version of the game is nigh identical to the English version except that it lacks the mini-map on screen and many of the NPCs you encounter don't look anywhere near as good as in the English version.

Differences from the English version of the game:

* No mini-map
* Graphically inferior to the English version. Wall textures aren't as good, interface looks worse.
* Very squished up item and equipment names (in the English version they are displayed in full)
* NPCs look completely different. This is neither a negative or positive.
* Combat is done better than in the English version.
* Enemies look completely different
* You now see portraits of all the party members on screen (this is more in-line with the PC entries in this game series)
* Doesn't have the insta-kill enemies present in the English version that would cause unavoidable death. This is a very positive difference.
* Dungeon maps go back to an unexplored if you leave and then return. In the English version what is explored stays that way.
* Doors are MUCH easier to unlock if you have robber/thief in your party than in the English version. Traps go off far less.
* Overall easier than the English version. Battles are easier, less damage from traps, you survive longer and die less.

Winner - English version. But this version does have it's own good points.

Screenshot of the English version:

And of the Japanese version:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:24:23 am by icemann »

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:01 am »
From the screens it looks like the party has has been reduced to five from six in the original. The English SNES port also has some notable bugs.
https://tcrf.net/Might_and_Magic_II_(SNES,_Europe)
I might not correctly remember that, but I believe the SNES port also has the combat changes that the Genesis port has. Characters can attack in that one regardless of their position, and they get attacked always in order, i.e. first character, second character etc. In the original computer games this was not the case as one would expect.

nacho_chicken

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 02:43:48 pm »
Gratz guys on the release, i'm trying to get some information together about this game for a guide..

1. I've noticed that equipping gear and weapons don't raise any attribute stats for anyone, is this an error..? I say this cos ive tested every weapon and armor on each character in the first town you can get, all dropped ones and even the +1 stuff.. and nothing raises stats in the status screen.
2. Do armor/weapons have any stats on them at all..?
3. If no stats on the gear or weapons what is the point in equipping them..?
4. Is the only way then to raise stats is by using gathered EXP to raise stats at the level up npc..?
5. i gather the higher the price of a weapon/armor in a shop then that would classify it as being the best available at that point?

1, 2, 3. Normal armor and weapons don't increase stats. Weapons have different damage output and class availability. Some have effects when used as an item. Armor gives bonuses to Armor Class, or AC. This affects an in-game "die roll" to check if an attack connects. Think of AC as Evasion rather than Defense. Some rare equipment pieces do raise stats or grant extra resistance.
4. You can raise stats temporarily or permanently at various locations in the game world. Levelling up does not affect stats like Strength and Speed; only secondary stats like HP, SP, and number of attacks.
5. Generally this is the case.

icemann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:19 am »
Hmm. Bugs I don't recall other than the odd times where you'd encounter enemies FAR above your level (though only in certain places like the dungeon in the starting town). If you had this happen you might as well reset the game as you usually couldn't escape those battles, and the enemies would always 1 shot you. Very annoying.

The good side is that the first game and this one are the only bad games in the series. After this we got the awesome Isle of Terra, and it's from that point that you should only be playing them on PC. For 1 & 2 the NES and SNES versions are FAR superior to the PC originals.

Naniyue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 12:25:23 am »

My favorite 1st person Western RPG series! (Don't worry, I love Wizardry and Dungeon Master, too!)

I prefer the Japanese version of Two myself, as I like the combat better, but one should play the PC version or the updated Western Genesis or SNES versions first, if you intend to truly play through the series.

Start with the first one on the NES, as I think it plays the best.  The first one on PC Engine CD is not exactly cannon, but try it anyway.  The PCE-SCD version of the third installment is excellent, and even outdoes the PC one graphically.  Each has their own soundtrack,though.  For the fourth/fifth, get World of Xeen, CD version, so you get ALL the voice acting!

Six through Eight on PC are all good, though most like Six the best.  Seven sees the introduction of Arcomage!

Avoid number 9!!!!  Even with community fixes, it just does not satisfy.  I'll leave number ten up to you, as while it tries to be kind of like Xeen, I don't feel the same vibe.

Oh!  And don't forget Swords of Xeen, a fan game using the Xeen engine.  I wish more fan games had been made like that.

icemann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 03:10:20 am »
I loved Arcomage.

World of Xeen is my all time favorite. Followed by 7. Having your own castle was just awesome.