News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon spot translation request  (Read 830 times)

Q

• View Profile
Pokemon spot translation request
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:59:07 pm »
Hi, folks. I had a questions about the nicknames for the in-game trade Pokemon from the Japanese Blue version. You can find a list of the Pokemon here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/In-game_trade#Blue_.28Japan.29

What I'm interested in are the nicknames of three Pokemon: ぎゅうた the Tauros, ゴーすけ the Haunter (which evolves into Gengar after the trade), and さぶろう the Graveler (which evolves into Golem after the trade). I was wondering what these names mean. Are they just normal Japanese names or are they puns?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Re: Pokemon spot translation request
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:50:59 pm »
Those seem to be puns on actual Japanese names:

ぎゅうた = Gyuuta = gyuu (bull) + Yuuta
ゴーすけ = Ghosuke = gho(st) + Kosuke/Gosuke
"Saburou" is a real name. I don't know if there's a joke there.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:02:26 pm by Supper »

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:57:06 am »
すけ (generally written with 介 I think) and ろう (郎) are common male name endings (also common is 太郎 たろう, either as an ending or a name by itself). Like he said, ゴーすけ is word play with ゴースト and 介, though no idea about さぶろう other than the ending, there's this word though, which doesn't seem very relevant in this context (maybe it has something to do with the NPC's "story"?).
Discord: 730#8471

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »
The in-game trades don't have story. They were replacements for the Red/Green trades so that players would know the four trade evolutions (as they both involve players trading one trade evo mon for another). I played Green, Blue and Yellow in both languages next to each other last year and the most significant change I spotted is the SS Anne chef's meal was changed between Green and Blue.
Maybe restore the intended line for the Cinnebar Raichu trade from Green. (that mistakenly says Raichu can evolve, something we only learned this year was a deleted mon in reality)
Possibly the Cerulean police was a bit more sympathetic. In Yellow the line in Sabrina's Gym was changed because of the Ghost vs. Psychic bug, and the localization made a mistake in Yellow about where Copycat lives (a line in the Celadon Dept Store).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018